Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > EVs - Charging / Solar Panels

I tried at -10 °C once and the end result was something on the way to one of those ice encased cars - the water that came out of the jet washer froze on contact with the car...

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:44 PM | Registered Commentertomo

"Who washes a car in -6°C weather?

FFS

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:11 AM | Registered Commentertomo"

Need I say more!

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:01 AM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn

Reasons to own a Tesla....

yep....

- I can't wait to hear what Mr. Musk has to say about it .... /sarc

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM | Registered Commentertomo

We had the Morris Minor......now the Tesla Miner!

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

oh yes ...

How times change eh?

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:49 AM | Registered Commentertomo

Will VW be offering Wolfsberg branded onesies for EV owners?

Seems likely

Jan 15, 2022 at 7:37 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Twitter thread generated by Jordan Petersen / triggered by Willis Eschenbach

HERE

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:59 AM | Registered Commentertomo

100km noodling locally is one thing....

650 km Wintertime Trip With VW E-Car Took 13 Hours, 3 Recharges And Lots Of Warm Clothes - is a different thing

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:35 AM | Registered Commentertomo
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:27 AM | Registered Commentertomo

No sooner have you taken off than it seems you've got to find somewhere to land.

I hadn't realised that EU regulators had shaved the safety margins for electric aircraft - range anxiety... - what range anxiety?

More from AVweb

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:36 PM | Registered Commentertomo
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:12 PM | Registered Commentertomo

I'm hearing that "EV loving" Norway is having issues with winter driving EVs on the E-W routes from Oslo to the west coast with absolute chaos at charging stations near the mountain-y bits where police have been seen trying to calm down agitated EV drivers. A pal who lives there and travels that way regularly claimed that EVs are banned from using some routes in some weather conditions. Plainly something that the virtue signalling EV contingent will not be talking about - but making sure that a crossing vehicle has adequate battery to do the journey (and have the heater work at minus whatever) has apparently caused queues and fractious behaviour at the plug in places....

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:20 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Norway

I hear that electricity prices have rocketed and that "free ferries" for EVs have been withdrawn.

- a variation of "get woke = go broke"

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:32 PM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo: I've read comments to the effect that Norway has imported European power prices as a consequence of the growing export market.

I was surprised that the BBC carried this comment as part of an article on cost increases:
"Imagine you've just bought 68 new buses, powered by electric battery. Helped by a wadge of public cash, you wire up your bus depots with chargers.
Then the price of electricity goes through the roof, and it turns out that the best business option is to fire them up with power from a diesel-fuelled generator.
It's not quite the clean, green future of public transport that we were sold last year at COP26, as big government grants went into renewing bus fleets with batteries.
But that's how energy prices are up-ending parts of the economy.
The scenario of battery buses powered, albeit indirectly, by dirty diesel has been briefly explored by the chief executive of McGill's Buses.Ralph Roberts tweeted that the procurement team at the Inverclyde-based bus operator had run the numbers on the £624,000 increase in its energy bill.
"They are advising that we charge our zero emission buses by diesel generators," he wrote.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

Seems that transporting EV vehicles by sea is dangerous

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/02/18/was-the-felicity-ace-fire-caused-by-electric-vehicle-batteries/

Cause currently unknown but regardless of the source once it got going the EV cars inside have ensured its burning on every deck from stem to stern 5m above the waterine.

“The ship is burning from one end to the other… everything is on fire about five meters above the water line,” Cabecas said.

Read more: https://gcaptain.com/felicity-ace-car-carrier-continues-to-burn-in-mid-atlantic/

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterMuppets-r-us

MikeHIg

- looks like the goons in HM Treasury HMRC have thought about that

Red diesel being attacked ....

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:21 PM | Unregistered Commenter.

Interesting paper on battery combustion:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC55772...

If I am reading it correctly, the energy released in combustion varies greatly with different types of cell. It ranges from 5 to 20 times the electrical capacity (Figure 2b). Temperatures can reach 800 deg C.

The main focus is on the toxic gases:
"The amounts of HF released from burning Li-ion batteries are presented as mg/Wh. If extrapolated for large battery packs the amounts would be 2–20 kg for a 100 kWh battery system, e.g. an electric vehicle and 20–200 kg for a 1000 kWh battery system, e.g. a small stationary energy storage. The immediate dangerous to life or health (IDLH) level for HF is 0.025 g/m3 (30 ppm)22 and the lethal 10 minutes HF toxicity value (AEGL-3) is 0.0139 g/m3 (170 ppm)23. The release of hydrogen fluoride from a Li-ion battery fire can therefore be a severe risk and an even greater risk in confined or semi-confined spaces."

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

Battery combustion ....

60 seconds that this fellah is not going to forget.

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:49 AM | Registered Commentertomo
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:42 AM | Registered Commentertomo

I'd take some convincing to let these electricians loose on my wiring.

EV VW van experience video

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:57 PM | Registered Commentertomo

oooops

Looks like Tesla autopilot isn't programmed to drive around an airport apron

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:30 AM | Registered Commentertomo
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:24 PM | Registered Commentertomo
May 1, 2022 at 2:00 PM | Registered Commentertomo

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/05/01/thermal-runaway-battery-fires/

May 2, 2022 at 4:08 PM | Registered Commentertomo

A collection of motorsports cheating

some new to me

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/motorsport/top-20-racing-cheats-if-you-aint-cheatin-you-aint-tryin/

May 3, 2022 at 2:45 PM | Registered Commentertomo