Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > EVs - Charging / Solar Panels

China is busy buying up Lithium resources around the world:
https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/china-mining-battery-companies-sweep-up-lithium-supplies-in-acquisition-blitz-67205411

Prices have roughly trebled from pre-pandemic levels. Hard to see battery costs falling anytime soon.

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

Interesting thread on EV owners experiences wrt range and charging:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=247&t=1958749&i=0

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:09 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

MikeHig

I'm sure that EVs (particularly Teslas) fit very well indeed with some people's lifestyles.

There's a family about ¼ mile away that have gone ostentatiously renewable with huge solar array on the roof and they did have 2 EVs (Leaf + Volt) on the drive - I noticed last week that a diesel estate has been substituted for the Volt....

Things go Pete Tong when the travel pattern changes at the limits of range - a heavy right foot / hills can also empty the batteries quite quickly. I'm reduced to a 1000W ebike at the moment - but if I give it welly rather than sedately trundling the battery empties very noticeably faster :-(

The HiFi / audiophile early adopter thing is still true I feel. I haven't heard much about the convoy of EVs going to FLOP26 since the first announcement.

Nov 4, 2021 at 4:28 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Global push to net zero will trigger fossil fuel crash and fastest adopters of renewables will win big, study finds

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/fossil-fuel-net-zero-transition-cop26-b1952012.html

So if I hang on and stay on fossil fuels for transport and heating my costs are going to drop.

So why change, just need to stock up on oil burners for the oil fired central heating and an old diesel Land Rover.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterMuppets are us

Hydrogen bus embarrassment at COP26

"You had one job" territory

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM | Registered Commentertomo

That is embarrassing!

It's like that electric bus that got stranded trying to get to the G7 meeting earlier this year.

I wonder what the air quality monitors will show for the time the circus is in town? My bet is that they will show a spike - or even a hockey-stick!

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:15 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

http://www.scottishairquality.scot/latest/index?site_id=GL3

Make a fake graph and impersonate Dr. Mann?

Glasgow is going car free at the bargain price of £47,000 per each and every inhabitant

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:21 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Thanks for the link.
I took a look at a site - "Glasgow kerbside" - for the past 30 days but it didn't show any sudden change. Obviously I need a "nature trick".

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

Hydrogen

Plasma Kinetics hype piece - it shows promise but one gets the impression that Dr Pangloss is busy....

Hydrogen IC gets a visit from "Engineering Explained" YouTube channel - video time link to comparisons

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:34 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Thanks for the video link.
He's a bit irritating to watch but he does cover all of the issues and his comments explain how JCB got to where they are.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:23 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

"He's a bit irritating to watch"

indeed ... hence the timed link.

but not near as irritating as the Greenie fawning Tesla fanboys fantasist crowd that he's increasingly playing to to get his viewing figures up.

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:01 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Lithium prices have rocketed lately and there's been speculation about the impact on EV costs, possible resource constraints, etc.. So an article on Euractiv caught my eye - it's about extracting lithium from underground reservoirs as a by-product of geothermal projects. There seems to be substantial potential:

"Vulcan Energy is in the process of building five geothermal power plants in the Upper Rhine Valley, above one of the world’s richest reserves of lithium in geothermal brine.
Together, these would represent the largest lithium reserves in Europe, at 15.85 million tonnes of lithium carbonate equivalent, Kreuter said. The extracted raw lithium will then be sent to a nearby central refinery, where it will be converted to lithium hydroxide and be delivered to battery and automobile factories across Europe.
By 2025, Vulcan Energy plans to extract emission-free 40,000 tonnes of lithium hydroxide from the Upper Rhine Valley – enough to supply batteries for the equivalent of about one million cars per year.
Once the plants are up and running, Vulcan Energy could support 100% of the battery industry in Germany – or 25% of the expected demand in Europe, Kreuter continued."

Here's the article:
https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy/news/lithi...

Similar moves are underway at Cornish geothermal projects with aims to start producing Lithium by the end of next year.

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:19 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

MikeHig

"Batteries made with zero-emission lithium" dinged my BS detector!

Not my immediate field but I still wonder at the geology dependence of the proposal and how the feedstock is actually replenished from the underground deposits.

All sounds thin on an assortment of detail and not just a bit magical. I wonder if government grants are involved.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM | Registered Commentertomo
Dec 10, 2021 at 1:41 AM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, I posted the same on the CliScep site and got this reply from Alan K, who used to frequent these parts:
I know just a little about sources of lithium. Some granites and, especially late stage very coarsely crystalline granitic pegmatites are associated with concentrated volatiles and light elements like lithium. I suppose that some lithium dissolves in hot hydrothermal waters where they are associated with granites and pegmatites and can be extracted from those brines. However the resource with be relatively small compared with those in other brines, especially those concentrated by evaporation in salt lakes and salars (or which sank down into underlying rocks after being concentrated – as in Southern California).
I would agree that taxpayers' hard-earned is probably involved.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:25 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

MikeHig

It's obvious that the extraction of heat and the extraction of solutes aren't the same (and likely are conflicting requirements) - an inconvenience skated over by the clots who write up the Green bilge.

More Dr. Pangloss and Swiftian self satirising. The retailers of absurdity seem to have quite big audiences that seem to want to believe.

There's just so much BS around ... I just saw this heat pump promotional about how well air source heat pumps work in Minnesota that very obviously swerves using a temperature scale and actually edited their guff overnight to insert a "Fahrenheit" where there was none before.

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:22 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Tesla - full self driving latest beta...

EEVBlog is on it

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:31 AM | Registered Commentertomo

“Here’s the bottom line – we want more families in Americans to afford an electric car that was made in America,” she said.

A studied snub to Tesla delivered by Kamala Harris

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:51 AM | Registered Commentertomo

Reality bites - or hints that it's going to take a nibble

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:02 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Seeing reports of failing electric fire trucks (low pumping capability, Short range and needed auxiliary diesel engine + cost 300k more than FF one) and (yet again) British Gas replacing EV works vans with diesel d/t non viable heaters (time of year) and lack of charging facilities at employee abodes....

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:04 AM | Registered Commentertomo

Ford Transit EV advertorial in The Sun

"The most important vehicle of the decade" ?

I've often wondered why Musk has swerved addressing the small medium commercial segment with a dedicated business unit.

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:54 AM | Registered Commentertomo

Another range extender

Not running on Hydrogen

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:56 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Tesla - The Apple of Motoring

- in amongst all the fan-boy-ery - some actually interesting snippets about where the company is headed.... - particularly wrt to insurance

Tesla's grip on the spare parts and servicing is already near complete...

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:54 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Who washes a car in -6°C weather?

FFS

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:11 AM | Registered Commentertomo

"Who washes a car in -6°C weather"

Anyone who so desires or possibly anyone living in a place where -6 degs is fair weather.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn