Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > An invitation to BH Regulars to tear apart my beliefes about CO2

"I have had one contributor attempting to refute this by referring to the effects of albedo on just one of these bodies, ie Venus. Harry Huffman disputes this argument much better than I in the following post from his blog"

Well, there are several bits to his reply of greater or lesser relevance. It could do with a bit more trimming, in my view.

The first part is about his claim that the lapse rate doesn't rely on convection but is derived instead from the hydrostatic condition. This is wrong. The hydrostatic condition relates pressure to density and height. There's a deal of work to be done to get temperature out of that. And the adiabatic lapse rate's effect is to set a lower limit on stability against convection - vertical thermal gradients steeper than the adiabatic lapse rate disappear rapidly through convection, gradients below it are stable, so convection drives any pre-existing gradient up against the adiabatic limit and stops there. It doesn't create the pre-existing gradient (it can only level such inequalities out, not create them), and it doesn't work if convection is suppressed by other means (as in a solar pond).

The adiabatic lapse rate is a lot like the boiling point of water. It sets a limit that means that any excess heat is allowed to escape by boiling/convection, and if driven in that direction by some other effect will control the temperature by holding it to that limit. (If you turn the gas up, it just boils more vigorously but the temperature stays at 100 C.) But water doesn't boil on its own, and the effect doesn't apply if it's not boiling. Likewise, the adiabatic limit does nothing to create the temperature gradient in the first place.

Harry's next argument isn't clear. He seems to acknowledge that he's missed a lot of stuff out, like albedo and clouds, but his argument seems to be that he got precisely the right answer anyway so the calculation must therefore be right. I'm not entirely clear if that's what he meant, but it's the best I can pick out of that mess. He suggests that the albedo only applies to visible light, and IR is absorbed by the atmosphere directly. He's wrong on the first part if he thinks the albedo is only the fraction of the visible energy spectrum being reflected (i.e. the numerator might be just the visible part but the denominator is all of it), although obviously the atmosphere can indeed absorb IR directly precisely because it's a greenhouse gas.

And the rest of it seems to be complaining about the politics, and about how not even other sceptics pay any attention to his arguments and theories. Well that's all right. He doesn't pay any attention to anyone else's.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM | RKS

So surely GCM's will get Venus badly wrong. One issue though is that there are still loads of parameters to tweak essentially randomly to get you to the 'right' result.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

RKS - I was not sure whether those were your words or Huffman's.

Much of his writing comes over as a rant that is difficult to make sense of. I think that his words probably won't convince BH readers of anything much.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

Just caught up with this thread after a gap. Respect and thanks again to Nullius in Verba:

And the rest of it seems to be [Harry Huffman] complaining about the politics, and about how not even other sceptics pay any attention to his arguments and theories. Well that's all right. He doesn't pay any attention to anyone else's.

Happily, no such complaining on this thread, such as Dung on 16th May:

Does anyone see a similarity between gagging Bengtsson (because his comments were not helpful to the cause) and trying to get people on this blog to avoid talking about CO2 not causing warming ?

Similarity with gagging Bengtsson? ssat certainly thought so, joining in for the first time:

Most definitely and I could link to just that coming from other commenters. However, our host has made it clear that he does not want that subject on the main posts as he sees it as disruptive of them. He does, however, tolerate it under 'Discussion' as we see here. And very interesting it is too.

No complaining there, thank goodness. NiV eventually joined to make some clarifying contributions, from 23rd May. But one senses that informative ending was not to the liking of ssat, who duly introduced and encouraged RKS, who rested his critique of greenhouse theory on Huffman, so ably taken down by NiV. There was also this key question from NiV to ssat:

If you stand up as a climate sceptic and confidently present a theory which someone else can show to be wrong, you damage the credibility of climate scepticism. And if what you're concerned about is being affected by the calls for action, as opposed to pushing one's own pet theory, why would you want to risk that?

I didn't feel that received the attention it deserved, let alone an answer. But what do I know?

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

"I didn't feel that received the attention it deserved, let alone an answer. But what do I know?"

There are several interlocking issues and interests here - political, scientific, and moral.

First, there is the political fight about expensive and totalitarian measures being taken on climate change. Climate sceptics are excluded and derided, and it would help a lot if the opposition was more united in its message, more credible scientifically, gave clearer explanations, won all the debates, and at the same time were seen as reasonable, rational, and more pleasant people by the public. We're ahead on some of that, but not all, and not all the time. My personal view is that the public have developed some very effective BS detectors over the years, so the tabloid political marketing campaign waged by the more political operators (Morano and Monckton, for example) is something I'm dubious about, especially for the long run. But in the short term there's no doubt it has an effect and attracts attention and awareness. For somebody simply interested in winning that fight, it would help a lot if the more 'outlier' sceptics views would keep quiet.

But there is an opposing political issue centred around free speech and inclusivity, which personally I think is more important. The political operation run by the alarmists has tried to shut down the debate and exclude alternative views. That's illiberal and in my view immoral, and we shouldn't be doing that. People with alternative views should be able to have their say, even if they're wrong, and people should at least listen and consider their ideas, and whether they might be right. It's extremely dangerous to shut out heresy - almost always one's own arguments descend into dogma and error. Standing up for the principle helps get our own views heard - sceptics having been excluded in the same way. It's required to be consistent with our opposition to the alarmist proponents of totalitarianism. It attracts support from classic liberals and libertarians. And it's their world, too. In a democracy, they have a right to have their say.

It's important from a scientific point of view, too. Science is built on scepticism, and there are no sacred theories that cannot be challenged. Anyone can argue against anything. Having sceptics motivated to challenge our pet theories is incredibly useful - essential even - because we are all human, we all have our own cognitive blindspots and biases, and we need people with different biases to look into them and tell us what we are missing. Systematic and principled scepticism is the immune system of science. And as a source of ideas and as a constant exercise of our own arguments and understanding, maverick views are very useful.

We should all remember that not everyone has the same aim, here. Some are fighting to stop climate change policies being enacted for their expense. Some care more about liberty. Some are just interested in understanding it scientifically, and some have invested a good part of their self-image in their own pet theory, and are frustrated that it's not taking off in the way they think it deserves to, and put winning that particular argument ahead of both the politics and the science. It's a free country - they can if they like.

Regarding people who run blogs blocking or excluding discussion of these particular ideas, the main issue in most cases is a slightly different one, which is the obsessive tendency of a few people to carpet bomb every single thread with diversions into this same old topic, and then argue endlessly and with not an inch of ground surrendered, even though it annoys everybody else, stops other useful discussions happening, and causes us all credibility problems. I think it's essential to discuss it every now and then - if nothing else, we need to make sure people who have read about these ideas and found them convincing know about the counterarguments too - but I do think it's reasonable to stop people taking over every single thread. I personally quite enjoy the occasional 'GHE basics' argument, but I don't want to have to do it all the time. It hugely increases the noise level, and eventually gets tedious when you see the same half-dozen ideas and papers run out again and again. That said, I'm more tolerant of it than some for all the above reasons.

I'm also perhaps more patient because when I first started with the lapse rate argument, I often got treated the same way. Even though I was getting the theory straight from the mainstream literature, many who had absorbed the back radiation argument just saw it as some other sort of Skydragon argument and dismissed it without thinking. I remember when it seemed to be just me and Leonard Weinstein saying it, and I can certainly understand the frustration. (While at the same time being annoyed at the Skydragons for having put me in that position.) But I was generally careful only to bring it up if somebody else did first - especially a blog host - and to try to listen to and respond to the counter-arguments and misunderstandings. These have over the years given me much better insight into the physics, and some much improved analogies and examples. I'm grateful for that. I can't tell you how pleased I am to see it now gaining a little wider acceptance.

And that wouldn't have been possible if sceptics had shut down the debate entirely.

A fully open debate definitely has a political cost, but I think it's one well worth paying.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:12 AM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

Splitpin - Those were Huffman's word set down within quotation marks.

Who exactly is this NiV character that his own personal opinions are assumed to be infallible. I've got nothing against him posting his opinions but he is, after all, just another anonymous poster - like me - with his own ideas. He claims the Venus example is wrong but why should his views be of greater importance than those of other qualified physicist, Huffman being only one of those putting forward the argument. He doesn't even try to address the coincidence that the temperature of eight atmospheric bodies are shown to be the result of pressure and insolation, but simply obfuscates by making ad hom attacks on Huffman - who does indeed come across as a rather tetchey person - but a more skillful dissection of his scientific viewpoint would have been more honest.

As far as I'm concerned, the evidence has now grown sufficiently for me believe that CO2 has no effect on atmospheric temperature whatsoever. Also I'm not going to place too much certainty on the views of a certain computer programmer who never offers any science based input, but who spend most of his posts trying to put down arguments against back radiation with what amount to veiled ad hom attacks against those making the arguments. I can fully understand Dung's frustration with the bullying tactics of this particularly disruptive person, who seems to think it's his place to decide what are and what are not the politically correct viewpoints to be posted on the BH blog.

If the blog is only about the politics of global warming I'm sure our host would have informed us of that policy. If that is not the case then I feel free to post my personal views on what I believe to be the correct processes by which the climate functions. I refuse to be bullied into silence by those who think viewpoints such as mine undermine their own imagined influence in the politics of climate. Let them start their own blogs or at least confine their prejudices to their own closely policed threads.

Entropic Man puts forward the old red herring about the temperature in 2010 - which was NOT a record as the temperature blip in 1998, due to that year's El Nino, was higher and which was, of course, evened out as always by the following years La Nina. Exactly the same sequence of El Nino highs followed by La Nina lows happened in 2002, 2007 and 2010, to leave the temperature record of the past 17+ years, according to official RSS satellite records, essentially flat. I included a link to the WUWT post to show the method used for calculating the slope, but EM decided to throw in his red herring in the hope that readers had not checked the link out. A thermostat allows a room to cycle above and below a set temperature but the temperature over time is statistically flat. By using this form of sophistry EM has shown himself to be little more than the standard AGW troll we so often see on sites like this. I'm afraid my opinion of him has been diminished by this particular stunt of his.

With continued lower [SW] solar output, which is the ONLY source of radiation that can warm the oceans, there will be progressively less energy in the oceans to drive future El ninos, which could perhaps result in even lower global temperatures. There will be an El Nino this coming year and, whatever it's magnitude, it will be followed by a La Nina event which will, as usual, compensate for whatever temporary temperature rise occurs. Only dishonest activists refer to El Nino highs as proof of global warming.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:10 AM | Registered CommenterRKS

RKS:

Who exactly is this NiV character that his own personal opinions are assumed to be infallible.

Who has assumed that and where? Early to introduce a straw man but start as you mean to go on :)

NiV:

I'm also perhaps more patient because when I first started with the lapse rate argument, I often got treated the same way. Even though I was getting the theory straight from the mainstream literature, many who had absorbed the back radiation argument just saw it as some other sort of Skydragon argument and dismissed it without thinking. I remember when it seemed to be just me and Leonard Weinstein saying it, and I can certainly understand the frustration. (While at the same time being annoyed at the Skydragons for having put me in that position.) But I was generally careful only to bring it up if somebody else did first - especially a blog host - and to try to listen to and respond to the counter-arguments and misunderstandings. These have over the years given me much better insight into the physics, and some much improved analogies and examples. I'm grateful for that. I can't tell you how pleased I am to see it now gaining a little wider acceptance.

Fascinating. I completely agree about not limiting the debate. How to protect from thread bombing is, as you say, a separate point.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:26 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Re. Jun 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM | Nullius in Verba

Thanks all for this thread.

I want to sort out cause and effect with surface temperature vis a vis the ERL, Effective Radiating Level. We know that where surface temps are low, eg polar regions, the ERL is also low, close to the surface; at the equator both temps and ERL are high.

It seems that higher surface temps cause higher ERL, and not the other way around. This is different than what. Martin A and his source are saying.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:51 AM | Unregistered CommenterRon C.

"RKS:

Who exactly is this NiV character that his own personal opinions are assumed to be infallible.

Who has assumed that and where? That was early to introduce a straw man but start as you mean to go on. :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:26 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake">>>

No complaining there, thank goodness. NiV eventually joined to make some clarifying contributions, from 23rd May. ....

who rested his critique of greenhouse theory on Huffman, so ably taken down by NiV. There was also this key question from NiV to ssat:

If you stand up as a climate sceptic and confidently present a theory which someone else can show to be wrong, you damage the credibility of climate scepticism. And if what you're concerned about is being affected by the calls for action, as opposed to pushing one's own pet theory, why would you want to risk that?......

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake"

You're the one showering praise on NiV, perhaps because he [I assume he is a he, as I am] concurs with your viewpoints on stifling what you regard as unhelpful posts.

It's no wonder I prefer to read, and occasionally contribute to, Tallblokes Talkshop where scientific discussion is paramount and politically correct bullies are given short shrift.

In fact your science free comments would be snipped pretty smartly as being irrelevant to the subject. And as for thread bombing, You, with your science free thread hogging posts are perhaps the most prolific thread bomber on the BH blog.

It is, of course, up to Dung to decide what is, and what is not, suitable topics for debate on this thread.

As with Dung, I regard your frequently thread smothering posts as little better than trolling. You never provide any science based input but virtually always set one side against another, as with your comments regarding NiV. You appear to have an over inflated opinion of yourself, especially with your frequent nonsensical name dropping, but I'm afraid I see you as nothing but a petty troublemaker. So please, keep off my back and I'll not bother to lower myself into communicating with you any more.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:54 AM | Registered CommenterRKS

RKS: There seems to be just a whiff of ad-hom here, presumably because you could not find a place where I said that NiV was infallible. Sorry about that. (And, while we're at it, a question. You appear to be surprised to learn of NiV's existence. Did you never come across him on the Climate Audit threads he mentioned, way back? Or on Judith Curry's in November 2010? Such blindspots make me realise how different our paths through climate blogs can be.)

Certainly, though, it's true, as you imply, that I've never once been criticised by the host of Bishop Hill, let alone snipped, for supporting an intelligent version of the radiative-convective greenhouse, as presented by NiV, nor indeed for mocking those who cast themselves as victims because their half-baked views, continuously inserted into main threads, are considered unhelpful to the extent that they are snipped or zamboni'd by the host:

Dung: "Once we were all in this together fighting for the same cause but now some of us are indeed beyond the pale ^.^"

But we are still together on the important stuff - the ruinous policies enacted in the name of highly dubious science of the enhanced greenhouse effect. And I have nowhere said that you personally - or Rhoda or anyone else - shouldn't discuss the gaps you see in the evidence for warming of the atmosphere and oceans, as a total system, due to CO2. Indeed I've said there seem to be at least a hundred threads for that kind of thing just on Bishop Hill and I celebrate that fact. I've merely suggested that you should never moan about being snipped - a certain sign that you've overstepped the mark in a particular thread, just as I did on this one just now. Never moan about it, just be thankful for the awesome freedom you and I have on well-moderated blogs like CA, WUWT and BH. And that's only my advice. If you want to fill BH discussion threads with moaning about editorial decisions and making up wild conspiracy theories about how the moderators are ganging up on you I'm in no position to stop you. But mock you I almost certainly will :)

It's the sense of victimhood that always gets me - laugh-a-minute stuff. I seldom take the time to express that out loud but on 6th May I did and I have done so again on returning to this thread last night. But please, RKS, this time, don't confuse the good readers of BH with the idea that such gentle mockery constitutes a desire to censor you, even if I had the power to do so. I repeat:

I have nowhere said that you personally - or Rhoda or anyone else - shouldn't discuss the gaps you see in the evidence for warming of the atmosphere and oceans, as a total system, due to CO2. Indeed I've said there seem to be at least a hundred threads for that kind of thing just on Bishop Hill and I celebrate that fact.

NiV has said the same thing, far more eloquently, last night. I also judge, based on my limited understanding of the complex physics of the atmosphere, that he gave short shrift to the piece by Huffman you cited. I await with interest to see if he wants to add to that, given your subsequent comments.

What I have learned from you here is that you much prefer Tallbloke to Bishop Hill as a host. And that's great. I don't see the problem with any of this, except for your foul temper when I have the temerity to judge, based on a mixture of physics and good manners, that one contributor knows what he is talking about and another is talking through his behind. Until the host insists that I must not express such judgments I will continue to make them - but I'm grateful as ever for your arguments for censoring me, as I stress once again I don't want the same to happen to you.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:02 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

"Lukewarmers" like Spencer and Watts are stymied by their unswerving belief in the radiative transfer theory. My Venus/Earth demonstration of the absolute absence of a greenhouse effect--as I define it, and as it is sold to the public--implies the radiative transfer theory is also wrong, physically; but I am not about arguing theories, and I don't feel any need to put forward a better one to replace theirs. I only insist that the Venus/Earth temperature ratio is the definitive evidence that denies their theory. Contrary to Spencer's insistence heretofore, the onus is on defenders of the consensus greenhouse theory to demonstrate quantitatively, that the observed Venus/Earth constant temperature ratio--needing nothing but the ratio of their solar distances to explain--arises naturally from their theories. I have already demanded you put up or shut up, many times over the last two and a half years. Instead, you go on about how you "observe" the greenhouse effect (but not the one that counts), without confronting the definitive evidence that denies that effect's existence (specifically, in the atmospheres of Venus and Earth). How lukewarmers can fight against the alarmists, and often give evidence that the global warming "greenhouse effect" must be very small, nevertheless are dogmatically set against admitting that effect is zero, is all that separates you from the "Slayers", in the end. (And no, I am not one of them; they like to say carbon dioxide is a coolant, but my Venus/Earth comparison says that is no more correct than that it is a heater. It is a "heat lubricant", whose increase only speeds up heat transfer--by radiation--within the atmosphere, without changing either the lapse rate or the surface mean temperature; it neither traps nor slows down heat).

Harry Dale Huffman

Just as incompetent climate scientists, acting as political activists, have been trying to suppress debate and the definitive evidence against their theory for the last 20 years or more, so incompetent evolutionists like Matt Ridley, acting as political activists, have been trying to suppress debate and the definitive evidence against their theory, since the time of Darwin--who was an amateur, who considered only one childish hypothesis: Either undirected evolution of all life occurred, over many millions of years, or all life was created at one and the same time, by God. Evolution, or one-time creation; that was all Darwin considered, as readers of "The Origin of Species" can easily verify for themselves. The truth is that everything was designed, land and life alike, but not all at once. The real formative history of Earth was undoubtedly one of design, the last, revolutionary chapter of which (as uncovered and verified by me) involved a wholesale re-formation, not just of the Earth's landmasses, but the entire solar system, a re-formation that gave rise to all the myths--in fact all of the earliest and longest-lasting intellectual ideas and religious obsessions--among men. Darwin was a foolish amateur, who has misdirected the world of science for over a century and a half. And Matt Ridley is just one of a legion now of Darwin's dogmatic intellectual offspring--puppets of a long-running, false dogma in science, against any competent consideration and recognition of design in the "natural" world.

Harry Dale Huffman

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

"You're the one showering praise on NiV, perhaps because he [I assume he is a he, as I am] concurs with your viewpoints on stifling what you regard as unhelpful posts."

I thought I'd made it clear that I regarded such discussions as essential? What I object to is people obsessively diverting every thread into yet another endless sterile debate on the same topic, where it's not relevant.

"He claims the Venus example is wrong but why should his views be of greater importance than those of other qualified physicist, Huffman being only one of those putting forward the argument. He doesn't even try to address the coincidence that the temperature of eight atmospheric bodies are shown to be the result of pressure and insolation, but simply obfuscates by making ad hom attacks on Huffman"

I haven't made any ad hominem attacks on Huffman. All I did was observe that he doesn't listen.

I only commented on the Earth-Venus bit you quoted, and I did so in a hurry and somewhat carelessly. However, on looking further, I see that other people have made the same observation about how he ignored the albedo, and I also note that his response does indeed appear to be to say that the coincidence is too great for it to be wrong; and so he uses that to work his own reasoning backwards to conclude that both Earth and Venus must both absorb the same proportion of sunlight directly! He's saying their albedo must actually the same so that his calculation will work! I am genuinely amazed!

I pointed out several scientific issues with the claims you quoted, which are sufficient to cast doubt on them. I'm not going to spend my time chasing link and wading through long and turgid treatises filled with complaints about how nobody appreciates the writer's greatness or the dire incompetence of his enemies. (Big hint: it reads a lot better if you leave the editorial asides out.) You ought to concentrate instead on condensing the essential argument down to a pithy summary, that any physicist can follow, and present and discuss that. No editorials. Pay attention to the counterarguments, and if somebody presents a valid counter to some point (or at least something that makes it difficult and complicated to explain) - drop it from your summary. You need to construct a short, clear, and unarguable presentation. If it requires a long diversion to explain properly, it's of no use to you. If it takes more than a few minutes to read, it's of no use. Cut out absolutely everything non-essential, and try to make the logic of every step crystal clear.

"The truth is that everything was designed, land and life alike, but not all at once. The real formative history of Earth was undoubtedly one of design, the last, revolutionary chapter of which (as uncovered and verified by me) involved a..."

And quoting this sort of thing emphatically does not help your case!! Are you serious?

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

NiV

First, thank you for your answers to points I've raised here. Having declared that I am no physicist ('O' level and took it no further) I have to resort first to any powers of logic and intuition I may possess. My motivation for my overall interest in this subject is indeed political - freedom of the individual. My motivation for interest in the science came from my first introduction to GE as explained by the Trenberth diagram: intuitively, back radiation was nonsense, I looked for evidence to support that conclusion and found it. I've posted my engineering version up-thread.

Being emboldened by that, I wondered where the 33 C GE claim came from and found it could be characterised by the S-B radiating temperature and lapse rate and concluded that GE is a characteristic of a radiative atmosphere and the 33 C BoA a measure of Earth's. I do not see that characteristic mentioned in popular climate science which, as far as I have encountered, calculates the GE from and to be a purely radiative effect. Here, I get stuck and struggle for a more accurate/understandable (should there be one) definition. Without radiation there would be no lapse rate and therefore radiation causes it but would that be: energy from radiation drives the effective radiating height away from the surface; energy from radiation supports the lapse rate; the lapse rate is coincident with radiative GE but irrelevant to it; .........? I'm pondering your answers to that.

But that is the equilibrium situation, so what of the future? We are told to expect that the benign BoA that we inhabit to become malevolent by our (and by extension, me as a free man) causing extremely small changes in atmospheric composition which are significantly upsetting the equilibrium. Why would the change be other than equally small? We are told that a doubling of CO2 will increase surface temperatures by 1 C, (or is it 1 F, I don't remember). By ratios of radiative gasses that would appear to be an over-large product of a calculation based upon them. We are also told that the equilibrium radiative balance at ToA will be upset by the changing atmospheric composition without an explanation (or measurements to support it as far as I can find) as to why the effects won't be immediate and the balance retained. And all of this is before we get to feedbacks and sensitivity.

So, I don't have a pet theory or the abilities to generate one and certainly no ambition to do so but do have legitimate questions, sometimes stated aggressively, which I confine to discussion/on-topic threads. Does this damage the sceptic case? I see all sceptics on a personal journey, there is, unfortunately, no Sceptic Central (IPCC – Huh). The sceptic, however far into his journey, is condemned to Groundhog Days because of that lack.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:25 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

RKS

The"17 year pause" meme only works if you cherry pick the 1997/1998 El Nino temperature peak as a starting point.

If, as you suggest, you average over longer periods, the GISS 5 year averages show a 0.15C rise since 1998. That is 0.9C/decade, comparable with the overall rate of rise over the 20th century.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

SKS - My understanding is that Huffman's reasoning is as follows:

1. The temperature/atmospheric height profile of Earth and Venus is pretty much the same, after allowing for their distances from the sun. (Which I concede is a remarkable discovery and one which I have always intended to get around to checking the figures for.)

2. This proves that the GHE does not exist.

Are there steps between (1) and (2) that I have missed? If not I'd say that Huffman (or someone) needs to fill in the missing detail before we can all agree that all the evidence for the existence of the GHE can be dismissed.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

This is probably a long shot but *might* just answer Dung's original query...

I came across a posting by Clive Best, a physicist, who got hold of the Hitran database and worked out for himself the effective emission height for different concentrations of CO2. Although there is a small point in his reasoning that I'm not sure I agree with, his result is convincing because the spectrum of radiation from the Earth that he computed seems to match very well the spectrum measured by satellite. His title The CO2 GHE demystified seems justified.

He points out the the principal peak for CO2 radiation is from the stratosphere. This is where temperature is *increasing* with height, so there is an inverse GHE effect. Is it possible that this means the CO2 beyond some level would result in no significant further increase in global temperature? (I can't believe it's really that simple but I've never hesitated to ask questions when I did not know the answer.)

(NiV - excuse me if your Jun 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM reply already dealt with what I am asking here...)

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

If, as you suggest, you average over longer periods, the GISS 5 year averages show a 0.15C rise since 1998. That is 0.9C/decade, comparable with the overall rate of rise over the 20th century.
Jun 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM, As you will know very well, a lowpass filter has a blurring effect, so that a 5-year moving average will be using input values prior to 1998 to give its smoothed output values after 1998.

If It's a 5-year average, you need to disregard output values prior to 2003 before looking to see if things are still increasing if you are testing for "no positive trend after 1998". [I'm too rushed to check if I've made an "off by one" error but you get my drift, I'm sure.]

Looking at the graph you link to, a slight negative trend after 2003 is apparent in the smoothed curve.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

Agreed, a proper statiatical analysis of warming rates would be more sophisticated than my simple inspection methods. I' m also quite happy with a flat graph by inspection since 2002.

Please hold RKS and other "17 year pause" sceptics to the same high standard.

There is also the problem that net ice melt from glaciers and ice sheets continues, while ARGO data continues to indicate increasing ocean heat content. While sea and land surface temperatures have stagnated in recent years the climate system continues to gain energy.

Perhaps Roger Pielke jnr is right and we should change over from a global surface temperature metric to a total energy metric. It would be harder to calculate and less intuitive for the layman, but might be a better indicator of how the system is behaving overall.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Martin: Thanks for the reference to the Clive Best piece from February 2013. Looks useful.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Martin A

For increased tropospheric temperatures and ToA radiative balance there has to be stratospheric cooling. It's been suggested that geometry and curvature and density take care of that (I can't find the link but it is easy to visualise).

A decreasing trend has been detected;

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v491/n7426/fig_tab/nature11579_F1.html

Link is to image, article paywalled. Article title: The Mystery of Stratospheric Temperature Trends :/

Another suggestion has been because of ozone depletion via less absorption.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

Richard, i am surprised that you did not know of Clive Best's site. It is revelatory.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

diogenes: I knew of the site but not that piece 'explaining' the GHE.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:29 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I've stayed out. I've tried to understand the various illustrations/explanations. Some seem sounder than others, but all seem to lack in the area of observations and predicted checkable occurrences.

I don't accept 33 degrees still, and I can't be convinced based on conditions on some other planet of which we don't know much. Tatooine and Hoth were both filmed on the same planet, after all.

Now, this may be my failure to understand, but there seems to me to be something circular about that TOA/lapse rate thing. Too many things being averaged at too early a stage in the explanation. Arithmetic averages count for nowt when t^4 is involved.. Purely radiative explanations will not do when massive heat pipes are dumping thousands of tons of water vapour at heights way above the tropopause every day in the tropics.

And then there's the photons. Apparently they don't just get absorbed and re-emitted, they thermalize O2 and N2, they in turn energise other CO2 or H2O molecules, they get absorbed and re-emitted all the way up until they make their inevitable way out. Now, why does it matter if they do that a gazillion times or 1.5 gazillion. They leave the planet pretty quick either way. What gets warmed up more because of the extra density of CO2? All the energy leaves. It is an open system, there is nothing to stop it.

Now, equilibrium. Many of these arguments hinge on equilibrium, but it does not exist in the actual system. What we have is an infinite number of bits none of which are in actual balance but all are seeking it. That really is not the same thing. You can (by a stretched example) change the amount of energy input into a pendulum. The average position will stay the same.

Enough. Rant over.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

I agree with Rhoda.

Though it is implicit in the above discussions, the bottom line is: Infrared transparency in earth’s atmosphere depends upon pressure, not the composition of gases. CO2 is the agent of cooling in the stratosphere. The bulk gases, O2 and N2, under pressure delay the surface from cooling and our mild surface temperatures are the result.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterRon C.

Purely radiative explanations will not do...
Jun 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

That would be news to, for example, the authors of Chapter 2 "Fundamentals of climate change science" in "Understanding the Earth System" (Cambridge, 2012).

Section 2.2 Fundamentals of climatology contains section 2.2.1 Energy balance and radiative forcing.

All is explained in terms of radiation only "...Compared with equation (2.1) this equation has the extra term FLW for the downward longwave flux from the atmosphere. This term increases the surface temperature To to a value greater than Te. This process is known as the greenhouse effect and, as a result of it, the climate near the ground is about 30K warmer than it otherwise would be. ...".

That would be a bit doubtful even for a black body planet whose atmosphere was a shell of greenhouse gas. But as soon as you admit that you have heat being transported by convection, release of latent heat, and the photons involved disappearing and re-emerging as they interact with greenhouse gases and, indirectly, with non-greenhouse gases, the simple explanation quite obviously no longer applies.

Do climate scientists who write this stuff ever stop to think about it? Or is it simply rote-learning for them?

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A