Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > An invitation to BH Regulars to tear apart my beliefes about CO2

Martin, it is claims like that, thoughtlessly expressed, which make people think there is a breach of the second law. If there is anywhere back radiation which can warm anything up (as opposed to making it cool more slowly) let's focus it and solve our energy problems for ever.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:31 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Martin:

Do climate scientists who write this stuff ever stop to think about it? Or is it simply rote-learning for them?

Rhoda:

Martin, it is claims like that, thoughtlessly expressed, which make people think there is a breach of the second law.

My answer to Martin's first question is yes, some climate scientists do stop to think about it. They notice people thinking there is a breach of the second law and they fail to correct their explanation to avoid this impression. As Nullius in Verba put it seventeen days ago:

I think as far as they're concerned, it's quite useful for them if we waste our time going round in circles. There's no advantage to them helping us get our story straight. And I rather suspect many of them are a bit confused about the physics, too.

I returned to the thread on reading that and commented:

I buy both parts of the explanation. A call to the wise. Ever-decreasing circles from here on in, I hope.

Deliberate deception is present here, in other words, as elsewhere, and so is incompetence. Who can be surprised by either?

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake