Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > An invitation to BH Regulars to tear apart my beliefes about CO2

More information rebutting the effects of back radiation:-

Questioning The Greenhouse Theory -- 2012 Review Of Gerlich And Tscheuschner

http://robertkernodle.hubpages.com/hub/Questioning-The-Greenhouse-Theory-2012-Review-Of-Gerlich-And-Tscheuschner

CO2 Greenhouse Theory Topples Under Technical Scrutiny And Practical Testing

http://robertkernodle.hubpages.com/hub/CO2-Greenhouse-Theory-Topples-Under-Technical-Scrutiny-And-Practical-Testing

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:53 AM | Registered CommenterRKS

RKS

Thanks for the additional links. Very helpful.

NiV;

There is a famous quote from H. L. Mencken "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

Occam's razor shifts the burden of proof to the more complex explanation. As the simpler explanation has been discussed here, the more complex radiative greenhouse effect (with its failures in prediction of tropospheric hot-spot etc) is the current underdog imho.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

«The Shattered Greenhouse: How Simple Physics Demolishes the "Greenhouse Effect".»

Be careful.

There seem to be quite a few explanations about how the greenhouse effect is false which are produced as follows:

1. Someone reads a flaky explanation written by a 'climate scientist' of a result which is probably correct despite the flaky explanation. "Back radiation" often features in such flaky explanations.

2. The person recognises that the *explanation* involves contradiction of physical laws.

3. They then proceed to explain that the *result* is impossible a because it would involve contradiction of physical laws.

The greenhouse effect would certainly exist in the case of a black body planet surrounded by a shell of greenhouse gas. The analysis is so simple, making use only of established physical laws, that there is no room for doubt.

As soon as you have a more realistic situation, things are no longer so simple. But it would be very surprising, in the case of a more realistic model, if the greenhouse effect simply ceased to exist altogether.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I have a problem with those saying there is no back radiation.

If that is so, why does an upward pointing IR sensor pick up radiation and why does it show a peak at 15 micrometres (wavenumbers 600), the main IR emission wavelength for CO2?

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

I have a problem with those saying there is no back radiation.

If that is so, why does an upward pointing IR sensor pick up radiation and why does it show a peak at 15 micrometres (wavenumbers 600), the main IR emission wavelength for CO2?
Jun 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Well, I think that people who say that something does not exist when it is pretty obvious that it *does* exist have a problem. But it is *their* problem, EM, not yours.

However note that there are two different things being said:

"back radiation does not exist" (a misconception)
"back radiation does not heat the Earth" (pretty obviously correct)

Richard Feynman, in QED said:

"Many "popular" expositions of science achieve apparent simplicity only by describing something different, something considerably distorted from what they claim to be describing."

I think this applies to many 'climate science' explanations of the greenhouse effect, in particular those that mention back radiation.

They say things like "the atmosphere in turn radiates longwave energy back to Earth as well as out to space". While not incorrect, this is often misinterpreted as implying that it is the back radiation itself that heats the Earth. Phrases such as "trapping heat" certainly sound very convincing - even Met Office scientists use the expression but they are essentially misleading.

But it's worth noting that the greenhouse effect can be explained without any mention of "back radiation". Here's the outline given in R. T. Pierrehumbert's book:

In a nutshell, then, here is how the greenhouse effect works.

From the requirement or energy balance, the absorbed solar radiation determines the effective blackbody radiating temperature Trad. This is not the surface temperature; it is instead the temperature encountered at some pressure level in the atmosphere Prad which characterizes the infrared opacity of the atmosphere, specifically the typical altitude from which infrared photons escape to space.
(...)
The surface temperature is determined by starting at the fixed temperature Trad and extrapolating from Prad to the surface pressure Ps using the atmosphere's lapse rate, which is approximately governed by the appropriate adiabat.

Since temperature decreases with altitude over much of the depth of a typical atmosphere, the surface temperature so obtained is (...) greater than Trad
(...)
It is very important to recognize that greenhouse warming relies on the decrease of atmospheric temperature with height, which is generally due to the adiabatic profile established by convection. The greenhouse effect works by allowing a planet to radiate at a temperature colder than the surface

Note - no mention of 'backradiation' or 'trapping heat' anywhere. (My emphasis)

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

EM

I do not recall at anytime reading a statement that claimed back radiation did not exist: was that a deliberate wind-up?

When back radiation does rear its head (groan) it is usually by persons who do not want to leave the apparent comfort of the current radiative explanation of GE. They appear on both sides of the AGW argument *strangely. As Martin A has pointed out with Pierrehumbert's nutshell (thanks), it is not necessary to invoke the term to explain GE. However, to accept the radiative model of GE it is necessary to believe back radiation can do work. I've even had people tell me that any explanation of GE which is not purely radiative is in fact an explanation of another phenomena altogether!

*The radiative model is so pervasive that I liken it to Stockholm Syndrome when I see persons who claim to be sceptics of it clinging to its precepts.

Now of course, radiation is necessary for without it the whole atmosphere would collapse to the surface But that is all it does - support the atmosphere. So, while you are out and about pointing your IR sensor upward, have you ever stopped to think what it is you are doing? (Hint, point it sideways, measure side radiation and work out what that is doing.)

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

Do GCM's get Venus correct when the correct details are plugged into the current models for the Earth. Venus is a much, much simpler planet to model and definitely has 'greenhouse gases' in abundance.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

The fact that the MEASURED temperature of the strata of Venusian atmosphere which is at Earth lower tropospheric pressure, ie 1 bar, is at exactly the correct temperature for it's distance from the Sun. ie the Earth's atmosphere would be at the same temperature [as this section of Venus' atmosphere] at the same distance from the Sun as Venus. Atmospheric composition [97% CO2 for Venus] is therefore shown to have no effect whatsoever on the temperature of the Venusian atmosphere.

This one fact is sufficient for me to regard the CO2 based global warming hypothesis as non scientific nonsense!

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

Martin A, ssat

I've been rereading your discussion. Most of what you say I agree with. The back radiation comment wasn't aimed at you and I'll happily ask BH to wipe it I'd annoys you.

One point though. The greenhouse effect does not warm, in the sense of increasing heat input into the system. That would violate the conservation of energy law.

What it does is to reduce the rate of cooling, producing an equilibrium temperature less cold than would occur without GHGs.

By extension, increasing GHG concentration exacerbates the reduction in cooling. Whether you regard this as occurring because of increased downwelling radiation or because of increased TOA altitude the effect is to create an increased imbalance of incoming over outgoing radiation.

This imbalance leads to an increase in system temperature until the outgoing radiation increases to balance the incoming radiation and a new equilibrium is achieved.

If you want to decouple GHG concentration from warming you will need to explain why this does not happen under your rules.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM - don't worry. It takes more than that to annoy us. Thanks for asking though.

Yes, obviously, GHE does not (to 1st order) affect the power input, since this is determined by the flux of SW radiation arriving from the Sun. (Although albedo undoubtedly will come in in some way - increased cloud will result in more light directly reflected. Less ice would have the opposite effect.)

Thinking about what R. T. Pierrehumbert said. Shouldn't that lead to an *inverse* GHE for level of CO2 beyond some limit...? (More CO2 >> lower surface temperature)

Since the height that IR finally escapes for good increases with CO2 concentration. Once the radiating height is in the stratosphere, where temperature *increases* with height, if you apply his

"The surface temperature is determined by starting at the fixed temperature Trad and extrapolating from Prad to the surface pressure Ps using the atmosphere's lapse rate, which is approximately governed by the appropriate adiabat

you'll get *reduction* of surface temperature because the lapse rate has changed sign over part of the range of heights. Will you not?

If I have missed a point, help me see what it is that I have missed....

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

This one fact is sufficient for me to regard the CO2 based global warming hypothesis as non scientific nonsense!
Jun 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

H Huffman's observation about the temperature profile of Venus absolutely *demands* an explanation. I tend to feel that such an explanation could well illuminate a whole range of things.

"GHE is bollocks" might be such an explanation but as it stands it seems a bit deficient in detail of argument.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

I think you will find that the tropopauae and the effective TOA are equivalent, occuring at the atmosphere's minimum temperature altitude.

My impression was that lapse rate was a function of gravity, air composition and the gas laws, and that the lapse rate itself is independant of surface temperature, (though it may change as increasing surface temperature increases atmospheric water content).Temperature at any altitude is therefore a dependant variable of surface temperature.

You can predict temperature at altitude from lapse rate and surface temperature; you can also use temperature at altitude and lapse rate to predict surface temperature.

With increasing surface temperature atmospheric volume increases, but the lapse rate stays the same. This pushes the tropopause to a higher altitude and lower pressure, hence the lower temperature. Once above the tropopauae the stratosphere warms with increasing altitude as usual, but from a colder tropopause.

Pierrehumbert's quote seems to assume that lapse rate determines surface temperature. I think he has cause and effect confused. Surface temperature determines temperature at altitude, with lapse rate the mechanism by which their relationship is determined.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

"the more complex radiative greenhouse effect (with its failures in prediction of tropospheric hot-spot etc) is the current underdog imho."

The tropospheric hotspot is a predicted result of the increased humidity from water vapour feedback changing the lapse rate, reducing the slope, which causes altitudes above the average altitude of emission to space to warm more, while altitudes below it warm less. It's got nothing to do with the radiative GHE explanation. The issue is, (as many sceptics have been saying for a long time,) the feedbacks. The models project massive water vapour feedback magnifying the 1 C sensitivity to something like 3.5 C. The failure to find the hotspot is a failure of the modelled feedbacks, not a failure of the basic GHE physics.

"you'll get *reduction* of surface temperature because the lapse rate has changed sign over part of the range of heights. Will you not?"

Yes, assuming the profile stays the same shape.

The inversion of lapse rate in the stratosphere is because of the presence of ozone there, which absorbs UV warming the air. The ozone builds up there because the inversion prevents convection, reducing mixing with the lower atmosphere, and the air is therefore extremely dry. The location of the tropopause depends on a balance of different influences and varies with latitude and other factors. I'm not sure if the profile would stay the same shape in such altered circumstances.

But apart from that, yes, you understand correctly.

"My impression was that lapse rate was a function of gravity, air composition and the gas laws, and that the lapse rate itself is independant of surface temperature, (though it may change as increasing surface temperature increases atmospheric water content).Temperature at any altitude is therefore a dependant variable of surface temperature."

The adiabatic lapse rate is indeed a function of gravity and the gas laws, but it only sets the gradient, it says nothing at all about the intercept. The intercept adjusts to ensure the Earth radiates to outer space the same amount of energy it absorbs. Any hot body radiating in a vacuum warms or cools until the radiating surface radiates the appropriate amount of energy. Therefore, it's the temperature of the effective radiating surface that is set, and temperatures above and below that are then dependent on it: defined in relation to it by the lapse rate.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

Dung - after 8 pages and just about a month's worth of comments nobody seems to have addressed your original question - Is there an upper boundary to the GHE.?

There is a paper by a Hungarian Climate scientist which suggests that there is such a boundary and that the Greenhouse effect is "saturated" on earth as there is an enormous reservoir of greenhouse gas in the form of water vapour available due to the earth's being covered about 70% by water. Rising levels of CO2 in the atmosphere appear to reduce the water vapour content in the atmosphere while the near surface temperature remains relatively stable.

The paper citation is :-

Miscolczi Ferenc, Idojaras 2007, 111, No1.
The Greenhouse effect in semi transparent planetary atmospheres.

A summary and explanation of Miscolczi's hypothesis ( including the mathematics and comparisons between the GHE of earth and Mars) can be found at:-

www.nige.files@worldpress.com/the saturated greenhouse effect of ferenc miskolcz1

A simpler explanation by Miklos Zugoni is available on the Science and Public Policy Institution website.

A second line of supporting evidence that there is an upper temperature boundary can be found by consideration of the temperature and atmospheric CO2 concentration over geological ( Phanerozoic) Time. These estimates are derived from the O18/O16 ratios of cacarbonate rich sequences in deep sea sediments ( back to the Cretaceous) and of cap carbonates from earlier periods, and the stomata densities of fossil plants. Such a comparison shows, with two exceptions) that even at extremely high CO2 concentrations of several THOUSAND ppm the average atmospheric temperature seems to have been capped out at around 22 deg C.

The two exceptions were geologically brief excursions to as high as 26/29 deg C in the Permo/Trias and the Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum which briefly reached similar temperatures for about 85,000 years. The same results show that there were two excursions to LOW temperatures in Ice ages in the Ordovician and a very cool period in the Jurassic when CO2 levels were very high ( several thousand ppm).

Otherwise low CO2 concentrations correlate with low global temperatures as in the Permo-Carbonifierous and our own Pliestocene-Holocene glacial periods where CO2 concentrations of a few hundred ppm are found when temperatures fluctuate between 8deg C in glacial epochs and 15 deg C in Inter glacial periods such as the one we enjoy at present.

It seems that when average temperatures are low the temperature is quite unstable and minor variations in solar out put and the interplanetary magnetic field as well as orbital and rotational variations such as Milancovic Cycles can perturb the climate and swing it from the glacial to interglacial states.

In such cold epochs when CO2 is at very low levels of a few hundred ppm there is a rapid response of atmospheric CO2 concentration to variations in ocean temperature as discussed extensively by other commentors.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:44 AM | Unregistered CommenterGlebekinvara

NiV:

1 Therefore, it's the temperature of the effective radiating surface that is set, and temperatures above and below that are then dependent on it: defined in relation to it by the lapse rate.

That is my understanding and a point I have been trying (poorly) to make. If I could add to that, perhaps you would care to agree or disagree?

The height of that effective radiating temperature is supported by the energy below it.

My interest in this topic is not a technical interest but as a consequence of being affected by it through its calls for action. You mention feedbacks and quite rightly as that is where the alarm is generated. But the feedbacks are riding on the back of the stated 1 C for a doubling of CO2. However, I don't calculate that additional CO2 raising the height of the effective radiating temperature sufficiently to match this (in fact, its trivial) and therefore the feedback projections are incorrect. I did ask earlier in the thread if anyone knew of where this 1 C comes from? It may inform me of where I am going wrong.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:08 AM | Unregistered Commenterssat

EM: This imbalance leads to an increase in system temperature until the outgoing radiation increases to balance the incoming radiation and a new equilibrium is achieved.

Or as I believe, more likely, the (tiny) diurnal CO2 increases have a near immediate effect on increasing the height of the effective radiating surface which raises bottom of atmosphere temperature without any affect on the balance between incoming and outgoing radiation. Why would a newly-minted molecule of CO2 affect the speed of changes in the height of the effective radiating surface: the range certainly, but the speed?

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:00 AM | Unregistered Commenterssat

As I stated earlier, the Venus example shows factual evidence that the level of CO2 in the atmosphere has no effect on temperature. As noted by Martin A Harry Huffman has shown this relationship on his blog.

Nikolov and Zeller have also shown the same relationship by referring to measurements of 8 atmospheric bodies in the solar system [planets and moons] with varying atmospheric compositions. All showed an identical response to the product of solar radiation and atmospheric pressure, which would appear to be the dominant driver of atmospheric temperature.

If atmospheric composition has no effect on temperature, then looking to obscure radiative effects of gases is pointless when calculating atmospheric temperature. As stated, the examples of not just Venus but in total eight atmospheric bodies, based on actual measurements, show without doubt that the atmospheric greenhouse effect is the product of atmospheric pressure and solar radiation, and is independent of the radiative effects of gases within the atmosphere.

So to ssat I would say that the effective increase in temperature for a doubling of CO2 would, from actual measurements on 8 solar system bodies, appear to zero.

And to Dung I offer this as the real world evidence he asks for in his introduction.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:15 AM | Registered CommenterRKS

"There is a paper by a Hungarian Climate scientist which suggests..."

The Miscolczi paper was examined over at the ClimateAudit forum when it first came out. It took about a day for somebody to spot that Miscolczi has mis-applied the Virial theorem, and everything derived after that point was wrong. (He claimed the atmosphere was gravitationally bound and therefore the simplified inverse-square form of it applied. But the Earth's atmosphere is bounded from below by the solid surface.) I didn't bother spending any more time on it, but some people have gone into further detail...

"The height of that effective radiating temperature is supported by the energy below it."

What does that mean? How does the energy there "support" it?

The height of the level emitting to space is the surface that would be 'visible' from space if you could see with infra-red eyes. That's got nothing to do with the energy in the air below it. That's purely to do with how opaque the atmosphere is.

"My interest in this topic is not a technical interest but as a consequence of being affected by it through its calls for action."

Indeed. That's why a lot of people care about what would otherwise be a pretty obscure bit of physics. But it leads to problems when people on *both* sides selectively accept-without-question/ignore technical details depending on what it implies politically. It's perfectly human and understandable, and people mostly do it without even realising what they're doing (we are all blind to our own cognitive blind spots), but science doesn't work like that. The technical arguments matter.

That's where the other side went wrong, and what got them into trouble. They tried to simplify the technical uncertainties to present a clear and convincing message to the general public. But the technically-aware segment of the public saw what they were doing, and they lost credibility. It's not enough to get the right answer - all the calculation and argument to get there has to be right (and seen to be right) too. If you stand up as a climate sceptic and confidently present a theory which someone else can show to be wrong, you damage the credibility of climate scepticism. And if what you're concerned about is being affected by the calls for action, as opposed to pushing one's own pet theory, why would you want to risk that?

"I did ask earlier in the thread if anyone knew of where this 1 C comes from?"

As I understand it, it comes from applying HITRAN to determine the atmospheric absorption/emission profile at evenly spaced locations around the globe, adjusting the temperature profile at each point iteratively until the energy balances, and taking an average. It's not something that can be done on the back of an envelope.

But I haven't seen all the details set out explicitly and would be interested myself.

"As I stated earlier, the Venus example shows factual evidence that the level of CO2 in the atmosphere has no effect on temperature."

I assume you mean:

"The fact that the MEASURED temperature of the strata of Venusian atmosphere which is at Earth lower tropospheric pressure, ie 1 bar, is at exactly the correct temperature for it's distance from the Sun. ie the Earth's atmosphere would be at the same temperature [as this section of Venus' atmosphere] at the same distance from the Sun as Venus."

The solar constants for Venus and Earth are 2639 W/m^2 and 1368 W/m^2, which gives a ratio of 1.73 in power and hence a ratio of the fourth root of 1.73 = 1.14 in temperature. Since the albedo on Venus is 0.78 rather than Earth's 0.3, Venus reflects most of the incoming sunlight, far more than Earth, and using instead only the absorbed energy ought to be cooler than Earth. (The effective radiative temperature T_eff is 255 K for Earth and 225 K for Venus.)

The temperatures at the 1 bar level are 288 K for Earth and about 350 K for Venus, as far as I know. Venus is thus about 22% hotter than Earth at the 1 bar level, when it ought to be cooler. And even if you ignore the albedo, is still about 20 K too warm.

Not that I'd expect such simplistic comparisons to give you an accurate estimate of the temperature there. Venus is a very different set-up to Earth.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

Null is in verba

Venus is indeed very different.

Take a look at its energy budget .

Surface radiation is 16600w/m^2 and almost all of it is back radiated.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

"Surface radiation is 16600w/m^2 and almost all of it is back radiated."

True, but irrelevant.

Any opaque material contains internal radiation between its constituent atoms. The water of Earth's oceans emit around 400 W/m^2 both up and down from every 20-micron-thick horizontal layer throughout the bulk, meaning that every cubic metre of water is constantly emitting about 40 MW of "back radiation" internally. And it has absolutely no effect on its temperature. It all cancels out.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

NiV: Thanks for the answer about the 1 C. As for a pet theory to push, I don't have one although I do have some 'pet questions' and I have pushed.

".....all the calculation and argument to get there has to be right (and seen to be right) too."

So, perhaps the questions should be: who is doing this; why is it taking so long; is there some sort of log-jam in the way and how can the process be speeded up?

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

RKS

The 'Shattered Greenhouse' page that you introduced to BH looked very interesting at first blush. I've read through it again and it appears that he has applied no albedo in his foundation calculations for the remainder of his deliberations. I think that there is at least one other problem, not that it matters after the first.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

I posted regarding the factual similarities between eight solar system bodies which show identical results for atmospheric temperature being caused by the combination of atmospheric pressure and solar radiation alone, irrespective of atmospheric composition. Thus ruling out any radiative contribution of certain gases.

I have had one contributor attempting to refute this by referring to the effects of albedo on just one of these bodies, ie Venus. Harry Huffman disputes this argument much better than I in the following post from his blog:-

"Venus Again

I have submitted the following comment to the Steven Goddard site, where the subject of Venus's hot surface is erupting again:

Convection does NOT dominate in the global troposphere, the constant vertical temperature lapse rate (temperature gradient) does; that is the stage upon which weather (and climate) plays its part. Convection just drives the weather (primarily horizontally), it does not create or maintain the vertical lapse rate--the hydrostatic condition does that (and Jerry Gorline needs to understand that his derivation above is even more easily, and effectively, done as: mcΔT= -mgΔx, as provided by the hydrostatic condition). The stable lapse rate means heat rises naturally "down" the temperature gradient--convection would only destabilize such a precise structure, and so cannot dominate, rather that structure dominates, on the global scale (too many--incompetent "experts" and lay citizens alike--in the global warming debate continue to be confused by local and transient effects that have no global effect).

The critical piece of evidence remains (I brought it out in November 2010) that the Venus/Earth tropospheric temperatures comparison shows that essentially the only difference in temperatures in the two atmospheres, at points of equal pressure over the range of Earth tropospheric pressures, is due to the difference in distance from the Sun--and that is a PRECISE quantitative fact above and below the Venus cloud layer (so clouds don't affect the global lapse rate structure either, nor does planetary albedo, at least for Venus and Earth, because that great difference between them also has no effect (obviously, unless you want to try to explain how these various effects DO matter, but add up to PRECISELY zero in the comparison of Venus and Earth). The only explanation for this is that both atmospheres are warmed by direct absorption of incident heat (infrared) energy from the Sun (so, for example, it doesn't matter that they have quite different reflections of VISIBLE light--albedos--or that little light reaches the Venus surface to heat it--atmospheric warming, to the ruling temperature lapse rate structure, has already occurred. So I concur with Jason Calley, that the astronomers are not experts--or really, all that competent--in their attempts to understand, and in their claims to fine new discoveries. (Nor do I claim to have all the answers myself. Nor am I as interested in the climate field as are most of those engaging in the unending "debate", which consists of vainly lobbing theoretical points past each others' unheeding heads, in an insane controlling political environment to boot.) "

Why supposed AGW sceptics keep on banging the drum for what they claim to regard as increasingly small effects of 'back radiation' I find difficult to comprehend.

The temperature of eight solar system bodies can be explained by atmospheric pressure and solar radiation alone - one hell of a coincidence especially when compared to the complete and utter confusion surrounding the supposed effects of 'back radiation'

I notice those here who state that back radiation can do no work still refer to this property when discussing atmospheric temperature. This seems to me a little like the politically correct 'Lukewarmist' position, where people are afraid of being labeled 'Skydragons' and adopt a middle of the road position, even though they can provide NO diffinitive science for the lesser CO2 forcing they claim.

If you think the effect of CO2 is near zero - As of this May the 'pause' in warming has lasted for 17 years and nine months [http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/06/04/the-pause-continues-still-no-global-warming-for-17-years-9-months/] - then please stop confusing the discussion of climate by constant reference to a property you regard as being of no practical consequence. Separate the politics from the science and actively look for the real drivers of climate.

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

(...) It all cancels out.
NiV

That's the key insight.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

RKS

How do you justify talk of a pause when the warmest year in the record is 2010, followed by 2005. Depending on your preferred dataset 1998 is third or fourth?

Figures at the bottom of this page .

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man