Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > I was Monty's Double

Geronimo, Mickey, Martin A

My position sounds like your general view. CO2 absorbs, is a ghg gas in the lab/theory, but what is the overall effect in the complex system that is the atmosphere? Could be small, can't be large (probably ruled out by poor model predictions/hiatus).

And Monty as a climate scientist? Seems implausible to me. Shallow, mrepetitive arguments. Entropic Man said he ws a teacher and that seemed entirely consistent with somewhat bombastic/pedagogue style. Got rather like RC of late (diversion by misleading references).

Where is EM anyway? EM disappears, Monty appears? Sock puppets anyone?

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterThinkingScientist

ThinkingScientist - Amongst other failings Monty is a hiatus unbeliever. He has left the mainstream and is wallowing in the billabong.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM | Registered CommenterGrantB

someone who has taken (for example) a three year BSc
> course in molecular physics ... understands the subject
> pretty well. Enough to make a living writing software for
> molecular synthesis, something you couldn't do if you have
> only begun to understand the subject.
How deeply do you believe that? I would expect.....

Chandra - what you would expect is not always a reliable guide in areas where you perhaps have no experience.

How deeply do you believe that?

I sense an implication I might have made it up .... ? (a.k.a bullshitting).

It's not a case of belief.
I know it. Like to guess how I know it?

But my point was not about being able to bash out the code. Lots of new maths, physics and engineering graduates can immediately produce code of high quality and earn a living from it. (Ironically lots of Computer Science graduates are rubbish coders.)

My point was to illustrate that Monty's

A complicated (and complex) science needs years of training to even begin to understand it (like all sciences).

is just rubbish.

The hard part of developing molecular synthesis applications is not bashing out C++ code - it's understanding the maths of molecular physics and converting it into object oriented program design. If you can earn your living doing that, you are past the point of just beginning to understand the subject.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:34 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Where is EM anyway? EM disappears, Monty appears? Sock puppets anyone?

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM ThinkingScientist

Please see my posting at the start of this thread for the life cycle involved.

EM seemed to go nova and then vanish in a puff of smoke. (I think he mentioned having some problems of various sorts - I am sure we all wish him well.)

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:40 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

ThinkingScientist
I remember when the BBC allowed comments on the majority of environment stories there was an Entropic man who posted there in a similar vain to our EM. I also seem to remember he often had conversations with a poster called MangoChutney.

Therefore I think he was/is an individual who lost interest in arguing here and will turn up somewhere else when refreshed.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Martin, perhaps I responded to the wrong point:

> My point was to illustrate that Monty's [statement] is
> just rubbish.

Monty's statement was

> A complicated (and complex) science needs years of
> training to even begin to understand it (like all
> sciences). Which is why it is ludicrous when English
> graduates pontificate about something they haven't got a
> chance of understanding.

You choose to refute this by talking about a new science graduate being able to apply his learning fresh from uni. But Monty is clearly talking about a graduate in English with no scientific training, not even basic undergrad level. This has no connection with what you are arguing.

Doubtless an English grad can write his opinions beautifully - that is the direct equivalent application of experience. But Monty is referring to knowledge of science, of which the English grad can be assumed in general to know nothing (relatively speaking). I cannot see how you can seriously argue that the English grad can pick up climate science in less than many years of study. Would you expect such an English grad to perform well as even a junior engineer after less than three years of retraining? Would you employ such a person?

You can see such non-science people struggling to pretend they understand what they are talking about on this blog (just like Chandra, people will say, but note that I make it clear what I understand and what I don't). You have people here who think putting the lid on a kettle is an example of positive feedback or that convection is in and of itself a negative climate feedback. Do you think Lawson or Peiser or Delingpole know any better? Can you be sure that Montford or Lord Whatshisname do? Would you suggest that I should take seriously the engineering views of an engineer who didn't understand feedback? Why should I take seriously the climate science views of an English graduate who is similarly handicapped? Maybe feedback is not such an important issue for understanding climate science, but when sceptics say words to the effect of 'it is all about sensitivity', I find that unlikely.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

"This has no connection with what you are arguing."
Chandra - please read *carefully* what Monty wrote:

A complicated (and complex) science needs years of training to even begin to understand it (like all sciences). Which is why it is ludicrous when English graduates pontificate about something they haven't got a chance of understanding.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM | Unregistered CommenterMonty

So he's saying:
[1] All sciences need years of training to even begin to be understood.
[2] English graduates have no hope of understanding something involving science.

In giving the example of how someone with three years BSc in molecular physics can immediately make a living prgramming molecular synthesis software, I was illustrating that [1] is rubbish.

I also happen to think that [2] is invalid but my comment was not directed at that.

What do *you* make of Monty, Chandra? Do you take at face value his statement that he is a climate scientist who has held senior academic appointments for 25?

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A, Sandy S, Thinking scientist

Thanks for your concern. I was getting too OCD and thought it best to disengage for a while.

Be assured that Monty is not my sock puppet. :-)

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:01 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Hi Chandra

I've been watching closely the evolving thread. I've also been holding back on contributing. You're not doing too badly if you want or need such feedback?!

I'm certainly glad you're not being needled anywhere near as much as in prior threads. You have felt this I hope.?

I have to second the question by Martin about your own view of Monty?. You might be instinctively on the same so-called "side" but clear qualitative differences exist in both manner and approach and trust me when I say that a "friend" can just as easily drag one under as keep one afloat.

I will re-iterate to you that I truly do not "expect" you to be one way or the other. Just argue your point if you think it right on a position and (as you certainly have) just say "I dunno" if you don't know (that only gains respect from reasonable people). Many here who will have the detailed knowledge of such may well try to guide in an area you cite a lack of knowledge of. If you still disagree, fair enough. What a bloody boring world this would be if it was monotone.

I hope you are still inwardly digesting as well???!!!

Cheers old boy/girl (I dunno.....wouldn't harm to clarify for us/me?...I'm a chappie by the way.)

Andy

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM | Unregistered Commenterjones

… when English graduates pontificate about something they haven't got a chance of understanding.
Monty, does your pompous arrogance know no bounds?
...would you expect the BBC to have a debate between the world's leading geneticists and an English or classics graduate?
So, why does the BBC trundle out the likes of Steve Jones (a geneticist) or Robert Winston in climate “debates”?

You claim to be a scientist, yet cleave to the mantra of the “97% consensus” as if it were your religion. Are you not aware that history is littered with great scientists who bucked the consensus? I wonder where we would be, today, had the all-important consensus prevailed in their day?

Dang! I hadn't realised how long this thread was until I copied to post this!

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:29 AM | Unregistered CommenterRadical Rodent

…Imagine the BBC had a debate about climate change and had Richard Lindzen on the 'skeptic' side and an English graduate representing the 'warmists'. How would you 'skeptics' react?

You can just imagine the hilarity at WUWT and Bishop Hill can't you....you'd all be sneering about an English graduate possibly debating with a meteorologist like Lindzen.

Odd, then when the opposite occurs!

Again, a classic example of your arrogance, Monty – and it has to put your scientific credibility in question: is it really scientific to make such assumptions?

I, for one, would love to see the BBC put on any kind of debate about this farce. The simple fact is, though, that many other stations have attempted to, to have the AGWistas shunning the opportunity, positively fleeing the chance for discussion.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:02 AM | Unregistered CommenterRadical Rodent

Hi EM,

Sounds like you need to recharge your batteries before returning to the fray! Look forward to your return in due course.

Best wishes,

TS

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:35 AM | Registered Commenterthinkingscientist

Hi EM, with you on the OCD front, I too would benefit from a rest. I didn't believe Monty was you sock puppet but as a practising engineer whose spent time doing (and funding) research he doesn't seem like a scientist to me. What about you? See you when you return to the fray.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Entropic man
Good to see you are monitoring the theories and hypothesis being discussed here and elsewhere on BH ;-)

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM | Unregistered CommentersandyS

Perhaps in response to my post that started this thread, 'Monty' said:

Hi All
Well I am a climate scientist with a large number of peer-reviewed publications in the world's leading journals in my field. I have a PhD in a climate science and have taught at several of the world's leading universities.

(...)
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM Monty

He than commented

Hi splitpin: No...not dendrochronology.

No, not three universities...two. One is in the top 5 universities globally ; the other is in top 100 globally and my department in the top 10 globally.

I have held senior tenured positions for 25 years.
Thanks.
Mar 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM Monty

The latter comment has some hint of familiarity with the (US?) university system.

As I said before, I normally take people at face value.

However, having done a quick rescan of this thread I can't help noticing again that Monty's knowledge of climate science seems significantly less than that of the average commenter on SkS, itself not really the pinnacle of academic attainment. And a distinct lack of familiarity with science in general, with not a hint of his own area of supposed expertise.

Very hard to reconcile all that with someone having a PhD degree in "a climate science", a significant publication record and decades of senior academic appointments at world-class universities.

My conclusion: A bullshitter of the first water.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

MartinA,
I think you are over looking what is possibly ore likely:
That Monty represents the best in climate science.
Think of how, in his recent sciam article, D.r Mann demonstrated an inability to count, confusing three with one.
Monty may be all palsy with Mann and Jones, etc. for all we know. He would likely fit right in, from what we have seen of his writing.
What would be interesting would be for any of the trolls to state clearly what they think the climate is doing now and what they expect it do to the weather in the next 10, 20 and 50 years. IOW, instead of endlessly repeating how cynical, evil stupid and corrupt we are, tell us about themselves.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

Martin, I presume your objection is to the word 'begin' but I think you are being pedantic. If we went to the opposite extreme and said that a newly minted BSc in molecular physics knows all there is to know about molecular physics, I imagine you would agree that to be stupid. So the truth lies between these extremes. I imagine Monty would say that your new grad is at the beginning of that journey, not at the end, whether or not he can successfully apply what he already knows. Just like an apprentice carpenter who is taught to make a few joints can use those joints to make a table - it doesn't make him a master carpenter.

On Monty's status, I have no idea and I don't really care. Just like you, earlier:

> But in any case, who cares what a person's qualifications
> are if they talk sense about the subject they are talking
> about.

Your collective interest in Monty's status indicates you do indeed care. You even want to know the opinion of someone (me) who has admitted to being an ignoramus. Status is important to people here, despite denials, for understandable reasons. Posters, most of whom are no more able to judge or 'refute' climate science than I, need a source of authority. I have mine - the thousands of climate scientists who study the subject. But sceptics reject and/or defame almost all authorities who by academic position can be assumed to know the subject thoroughly which leaves them grasping for 'scientific' support for their political views. So anyone who says they are an "engineer" or some such becomes somehow credible (and it doesn't even matter that the "engineer" doesn't understand feedback - the English lit grad sure as hell doesn't so they can pretend to each other that they know what they are talking about).

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Just as with so many core aspects of climate science, it isn't that we believe that Monty is NOT an honourable and upstanding scientist as much as that we've been provided with no compelling evidence yet to support the proposition, aside from Monty's own claim, from on high.

Thus, Monty exists as an anthropomorphic personification of his very own purported field of science.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

Chandra, you have patently no idea what becoming and being an engineer actually involves. And no, I am not going to justify that to you. Just be aware the more words you add showing how well thought out are your arguments, the more ignorant you appear. Do not extend yourself too far. That is an engineer's opinion.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

hunter - Previously I said

I have to say that both Chandra (who claims no scientific education beyond high school) and Entropic Man (a biologist) both seem to have far deeper knowledge of climate science and its literature than Monty, so I have to admit that I'm buggered if I can make out whether he's for real or not. If he *is* for real, then it would say an awful lot about climate science.

Yes, when a professor whose speciality is statistics of temperature records admits he does not know how to do a regression using Excel, anything is possible.

Chandra - I really don't give a shit about someone's qualifications. I've met plenty of fools with PhD's and I've known some unqualified people with very significant accomplishments.

One of my greatest heroes is Oliver Heaviside (left school at 16, worked as telegraph operator) whose contributions to electrical theory are simply immense.

What bothers us about Monty's claims is the smell of mendacity .

...There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity... You can smell it....

It's an aroma that seems to waft around some of the priesthood of climate science - and some of its incomprehending choirboys too.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Do I bully warmists ?
Yes point about True Believers coming overfrom SkepticalScience/Guardian is very relevant .
They are accustomed to a SANITISED discussion
They would not realise that since over at SkS/Guardian debate is routinely censored (consensus-ored) and the atmosphere kept toxic to skeptical viewpoints, that they are living in a fantasy universe. So it would be quite a shock for them when they come over here to BH ..and they comeup against informed challenging they've never seen before.
That is why I am worried about them feeling bullied by my trying to hold them to account by getting them to answer simple questions. But when your friend says someting not true I think the best thing is to say so rather than patronise them by saying "whatever"

- Now as ever things come full circle again and back to BBC censorship. Cos if challenging is banned on the BBC on the spurious grounds that professors of trouser technology can tell you your flies undone ..then the viewers/listeners of BBC will get the same SANITISED atmosphere that SkS forumers get.

.. as I am also working on helping people stay out of a pyramid can I can see similar psychology of belief, so I am going to open a new thread "Psychology of Climate belief/dis-belief."

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Monty said:

Imagine the BBC had a debate about climate change and had Richard Lindzen on the 'skeptic' side and an English graduate representing the 'warmists'. How would you 'skeptics' react?

Now imagine the BBC had a series of debates about climate change and invited (say) Richard Lindzen, Judith Curry, Steve McIntyre, Nic Lewis, Roy Spencer, Bob Tisdale, Chris Landsea, John Christy, Gavin Schmidt, Michael Mann, Ben Santer, James Hansen, Phil Jones, Keith Briffa, Tom Wigley, Lewandowsky, John Cook, Myles Allen.

Anyone like to guess who would show up and who would not? When the BBC says the debate is over, perhaps they would like to remind us of actually when that debate took place*. Because I certainly never saw it.

*Oh - I forgot - it must have been the 28gate meeting with all the NGO's and Activists./sarc

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM | Registered Commenterthinkingscientist

..and maybe Robert Brown from Duke...that would be interesting!

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:05 PM | Registered Commenterthinkingscientist

Yeah, I'd love to see Robert Brown in action. But if Brown, why not Jones? Does JJ do telly?

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

thinkingscientist
You forgot Dana Nuccitelli

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS