Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > I was Monty's Double

- In a just world it's very unlikely Monty is a climate scientist, but they do let any idiot into uni these days.
You guys missed this Monty gem "...And you do accept the basics of climate science (C02 is a GHG, C02 is rising and it's all human; the climate should warm etc)? Right?"

clarified by "All the recent rise in C02 is from humans. "
He clearly is deluded into thinking that natural CO2 is in balance from day to day, discounting that there can be huge variations from natural sources, CO2 springs, forest fires or warm periods causing CO2 trapped in the oceans to be released.

We would say yes CO2 has risen and probably due to man, but key question is catastrophe likely ?.. perhaps extreme sensitivity between temperature and CO2 might indicate that but so far the evidence of that has not been found, which is why catastrophe set models don't predict reality.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Monty
Apologies. I got a bit lost. The point I was making was that at least half the time when a comment is needed on some further piece of (arguably) controversial research which the BBC are touting as the latest in "worse than we thought" territory they wheel out some enviro-mouthpiece from FoE or Greenpeace whose qualifications are (by the standards you try to set) irrelevant.
But, as I say, presumably because they are "on the right side" that doesn't matter.
Incidentally, we're still waiting to find out what your scientific qualifications actually are. "PhD" doesn't quite hack it, I'm afraid. Caroline Lucas has a PhD. And the idea that you can only understand a subject after years and years of study and that anyone who doesn't have the "right" qualifications and written lots of papers which have been peer-reviewed by other people with the "right" qualifications is thereby barred from having an opinion is fallacious — as a brief look at the history of science will tell you.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Why Monty and his chums need to take sceptics seriously.

Do we hand over all our decision making to experts in other fields? Do we have a financial adviser to manage our bank account, an accountant to do our tax, a doctor on hand for every little headache, a chauffeur, a chef, a life coach, a stylist…? The public have a pesky habit of wanting to do some stuff for themselves and only turn to experts when the problem is too big. Even then people reserve the right to decide for themselves.

Then CAGW comes along and the public are supposed to nod and hand over a big cheque so that the panicky can spend it on stuff that largely doesn’t work. Scientists even get outraged that they could be questioned, let alone feel the need to be open and honest about the answers. At the same time warmists don’t notice that the majority of people aren’t even questioning climate science, they’re ignoring it altogether. And they think we’re stupid?

It’s time they stopped acting like they’re Moses bringing the tablets down from the mountain. They need to look to other, more reputable sciences, how they get past natural human suspicion and ‘because the scientists say so’ isn’t it. That journalists and politicians have bought uncritically into the science only demonstrates how gullible people can be when they let their imagination run ahead of their common sense... assuming politics and journalism graduates do common sense.

First reason why the science needs an overhaul – warmist lie. Monty even managed it with his 97% consensus comment. Even if you ignored the shenanigans of how they get that figure, there is an implied narrative behind it that embraces all the catastrophic visions of the future that have been linked to consensus in the media. Scientists seem very good at fence sitting when asked to specify exactly is going to happen, nowhere near 97%. You’d almost think they didn’t know /sarc.

Sceptics don’t have to prove that climate science is wrong, we only have to convince people that the purveyors of the consensus tend to be liars. Human nature does the rest. Trying to shut us up will only help us in the long run because while sceptics mostly don't believe in conspiracy theories, the public just lap them up.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Monty,

As a real climate scientist you will be aware of the decelerating trend in sea-level rise, the no-change in polar ice, no increase in weather extremes [a relative late-comer to indicators] and the decade and a half stasis in global surface temperatures. All of these are observations, recorded and readily available for anyone to come across be they arts graduates or the more technically literate such as engineers or scientists of other disciplines. For those, could you kindly point out where global warming can be observed to be happening outside of both natural variation and computerised models? This would be of immense help as I for one, having seen some, would be much more amenable to believing that climate science was other than an esoteric pastime entirely reliant upon huge quantities of other peoples' money to benefit no more than its practitioners and the parasitic engaged in the implementing of its edicts.

Thank you.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

I don't know what Monty is referring to when he says would you let an Eng Lit graduate discuss climate science with a climate scientist. It doesn't make sense, so Monty if you could perhaps elaborate on what exactly you mean I'd be v.grateful. You quote Lawson and Peiser and indeed Lilley, but you don't seem to be aware that they don't challenge the IPCC reports, in fact they're not allowed to by the BBC - see interview with Peter Lilley.

The problem you have, and don't seem able to grasp, is that once science moves into politics and starts dictating policies that have no regard for the costs and damage to human beings living today you've crossed a line that means English Lit graduates, or indeed check out girls and boys, have every right to challenge the implications of your science. And as they pay your wages you may want to show them a little bit of respect.

There was nobody challenging eugenics, which was a plausible scientific theory, nor indeed, with the single exception of Pius XI did any leader of any faith, or political party raise their voices against.Science had spoken. In fact the supporters where the forebears of the bien pensants who are major supporters of CAGW policies today. Which, ironically given the context of this debate, where foisted on us by the 2008 Climate Change Act written by an English Lit Grad, without any engineering input, and roundly supported by the climate science community.

I don't believe you're a climate scientist, or a scientist of any kind, maybe a graduate physicist unable to come to terms with the fact that the oicks have the temerity to argue with you about the science. That's how you come across anyway.

In addition to the evident shock you have that your science shouldn't be challenged by those who haven't studied it (see Eugenics above), you clearly don't understand what you're being told by the deniers so I'll re-iterate it for you

1. Apart from mydogsgotonenote I know of nobody on this blog, or in the wider scepticsphere who doesn't know that CO2 is a GHG. Yet you seem to believe this is one of the legs of the chair of scepticism;
2. Nobody I know denies that an increase in CO2 will cause a rise in temperature.

The diversion is as follows just so you understand

3. You have a climate sensitivity number of 3C which is clearly wrong, and indeed originated as a guess in the Charney report;
4. Even if the 3C is right, which I doubt and can doubt because when you guess something you don't have to be qualified in anything, you cannot predict the future state of the climate. To suggest you can, or come anywhere near to being right is hubristic beyond shame. If as Jiminy and the IPCC have pointed out you cannot predict the future state of a coupled non-linear chaotic system then WTF are you all doing telling us we'll be having droughts, storms, sea level rises etc. etc. when you couldn't possibly have the remotest clue? No one can foretell the future and frankly, only an idiot would believe they could.
5. You don't need a PhD in anything to understand that when global temperatures increase there will be no upside, just famine, pestilence, wars and death stalking the land, your being sold a line by someone who wants control through fear.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

I find the concept of "climate scientist" an interesting one and get a sense that such an individual must be a generalist of sorts. Climate science encompasses a range of fields from physics to chemistry and geology and much in-between.

Similar I guess to doctors whose field encompasses a wide range of integrated fields from physiology to pharmacology with the possible exception to anatomy being a specific area of expertise.(In the past that was pretty much their ONLY field of expertise).

Monty, may we know what area of climate science you work in? Physics?chemistry? etc.

At this juncture I am having some difficulty accepting your own assertion of what you do. I am resisting using the word "troll" in your particular case but the markers seem to be present.

Can you see why?

What would you own falsifiability criteria be for the theory of AGW to be disproved?

Thank you.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM | Unregistered Commenterjones

Typo

The possible exception OF anatomy...

DOH! (Speaking of which I am drinking tea right now from a Homer Simpson mug which has written on it "I couldn't agree more with whatever you said"......)...

OK, it's one of those "you had to be there" things to get the irony I guess?....

I'll get my coat...

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM | Unregistered Commenterjones

Geronimo, regarding your points 1 and 2, do you actually read this blog? You just have to look at the 1st page of the "Greenhouse Effect" discussion to find four people who seem to be far from convinced of the GHE.

stewgreen: "So any relationship between CO2 and temperature has NOT been VALIDATED. "

RKS: ...not worth the bother working out what he is saying but I think he would argue with you.

Ross Lea: provides links to principia-scientifica such as "Absence_Measureable_Greenhouse_Effect.pdf"

ssat: looks sceptical but I can't be bothered to work out more.

And then you get people who suggest that CO2 might have different characteristics in the wild compared to lab measurements.

When you say:

> 5. You don't need a PhD in anything to understand that
> when global temperatures increase there will be no upside,
> just famine, pestilence, wars and death stalking the land,
> your being sold a line by someone who wants control
> through fear.

Is that what you believe or what you think Monty believes. It goes against the normal sceptic dogma.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Monty, I am not a professional climate scientist, and unlike your good self, I am evidently not capable of understanding the complex impacts of anthropogenic CO2 emissions on our planet's average surface temperature. So maybe you could be so kind as to identify the CO2 signal is in any of these long term (for instrumental datasets at least) surface station records ? 1850? 1900? 1950? 1975? http://oi52.tinypic.com/2agnous.jpg.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM | Registered Commenterlapogus

Hi Chandra

My own understanding of point 5 is what geronimo thinks the opposing side thinks we should think?....

I think......er...

Now, Monty, I just have to ask how you can possibly reconcile your assertion that you are a climate scientist with your statement that "the science is settled"? You must, I hope, surely see that simultaneously holding those two positions is not valid?

You will have carefully studied most of the threads in recent times and know that my motivations do not revolve around a deeper "activism" for the subject but I am an interested (and yes, unqualified) bystander who is also being asked to dig very deep indeed to support current policies which I have no say in either way as such matters are decided within circles that I suspect NONE who grace these pages are party to.

I hope you feel able to reply in a manner the befits civil discourse please.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM | Unregistered Commenterjones

I call bulltweet,

Personal view is that Monty is no more a "Climate Scientist", by whatever definition you care to use, than I am the pope.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Singleton

Monty says,

Well I am a climate scientist with a large number of peer-reviewed publications in the world's leading journals in my field. I have a PhD in a climate science and have taught at several of the world's leading universities.

Really? Quite incredible to think, given the quality of your argument and sarcastic comments.

Then again Monty, I'm Brian and so's my wife.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterThinkingScientist

Mike

Quite. Of course he isn't but I am hoping that he can still engage meaningfully but my sense at this point is that a personal embarrassment will prevent a more honest debate.

Options would seem to include just owning up or engagement in the current vein or disengagement.

A pity really as I am quite sure that Monty is fundamentally a sound enough human being.

I've met very very many unsound ones over the years and I wouldn't stoop to denigrate by calling him this anyway.

All fascinating stuff and frankly (if I could be bovvered...) I could write a paper on the subject of climate debate discourse ...but not in the "deniers are all conspiracy theorists" mold..!

Ah well....

By the way, if you ever do actually become Pope please can I have access to the sealed archives? (I'd be particularly interested in the Galileo material) I'll slip you a few used tenners in a brown paper bag...(hey, if it's good enough for the Borgias then it's good enough for you...)

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM | Unregistered Commenterjones

Chandra and geronimo (now there's an interesting combination)

As far as I have seen lab experiments on the IR absorbing properties of Co2 (and water vapour for that matter) do not explictly try to remove convection. Or more precisely the experiments do not try to show the convective effects alone and then show that with radiative effects the thermal effect is increased as per theory. One way would be to heat CO2 in a glass box with a heater whose surface has been filtered to remove IR frequencies that correspond to CO2 absorption lines. Thus you would have Co2 heating purely by surface conduction and convection. Then you would use an equivalent power denstity of IR light and see what the temperature was compared to convection. Ideally the spectrum of incoming IR would match the spectrum of heat emitted from the surface plus CO2 absorption lines (you would still have to adjust some IR frequencies so that the overall power was the same). If convection was less than radiation plus convection you would show the "greenhouse effect". If not then Co2 arguably would be cooling its environment.

So no, geronimo, I can't agree with what you said. I am sceptical about CO2 being a greenhouse gas purely because I haven't seen the careful experiments to show that it is. And that is how any sceptic should be. I know AlecM/mydogsgotnonose does tend to be a bit theoretical and absolute about it, but deep in that diatribe he often does have a point - namely to not blindly assume that we truly understand the said greenhouse effect and greenhouse gases. Go and find out if we do and how we know this.

Sadly many people fall into the habit of just accepting the "science" because many people have written papers with the greenhouse gas idea. But this is just a slippery slope down to full blown warmism. Also the only reason why I would ask to see the specifics is that AGW is affecting our economy and my taxes. If it were simply a branch of study in science proportionate to any other then all this discussion would just be shooting the breeze.

It's not. And as such it demands much more rigour and examination. It also demands more humility and proactiveness from its representatives.

As ever, my position is also that if such experiments exist, please point me to them. I've seen quite a few papers on radiative calculations and matching to observed emission of Co2 in the atmosphere but little proper characterisation of how this translates to thermal effects using actual lab experiments where all thermal processes are characterised.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:22 PM | Registered CommenterMicky H Corbett

Chandra,

I recommend reading very attentively what people have said before asserting the opposite.

What geronimo actually said was "... I know of nobody on this blog, or in the wider scepticsphere who doesn't know that CO2 is a GHG. "

So far as I can see, knowing that CO2 is a GHG is the same thing as knowing that its molecules interact with infra red light, absorbing and emitting it. Nothing more.

You then said:

You just have to look at the 1st page of the "Greenhouse Effect" discussion to find four people who seem to be far from convinced of the GHE.

stewgreen: "So any relationship between CO2 and temperature has NOT been VALIDATED. "

Being convinced that the GHE exists is not actually precisely the same thing as knowing that CO2 is a GHG - although it would be a bit strange to believe one but not the other.

However, being convinced that the GHE exists is not at all the same thing as thinking that there exists a validated relationship (for example a mathematical formula) between CO2 and temperature.

The wide range of values produced by studies trying to estimate climate sensitivity, none of which have been validated, illustrated the correctness of stewgreen's statement.

etc etc

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Micky H. The go to paper for the "proof" that CO2 is a GHG is Harries et al 2001. In the paper they demonstrate that as the CO2 has increased the the OLR spectrum has shown a reduction of radiation in the 4 and 15 micron range. So if you accept this paper, and I do, then CO2 is absorbing and re-emitting energy.

You have to be careful as to what I'm admitting, i.e, that CO2 is a GHG, I don't have any position other than CO2 is a GHG, beyond that it is my opinion that nobody has a clue what the climate is doing.

I too find mdgnn tantalising close to proving something but you know what? I go with Rutherford and believe that if you can't explain your theory to a barmaid it probably isn't very good physics.

Having said all that I don't want to waste time arguing something that the world and its mate accept, whether it's true, or false, that CO2 is a GHG, when the climate sensitivity and soothsayer sides of the argument are so clearly easy to win. Except, of course, if you're talking to the converted.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

I'm inclined to take people at face value until the contrary is proved.

In view of Monty's other statements that suggested to me that he had no more knowledge or accomplishement in any branch of science than the average reader of SkS, I admit I found it quite hard to swallow when Monty said

Well I am a climate scientist with a large number of peer-reviewed publications in the world's leading journals in my field. I have a PhD in a climate science and have taught at several of the world's leading universities.(...)?
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM | Monty

But he then backpedalled a bit in response to splitpin's challenge:

Hi splitpin: No...not dendrochronology.

No, not three universities...two. One is in the top 5 universities globally ; the other is in top 100 globally and my department in the top 10 globally.

I have held senior tenured positions for 25 years.
Thanks.
Mar 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM Monty

That sounded slightly less than utterly incredible, so I'll continue to take him at face value.

Even though he continued to say things like...

A complicated (and complex) science needs years of training to even begin to understand it (like all sciences).

Well, someone who has taken (for example) a three year BSc course in molecular physics (aka mathematical chemistry) understands the subject pretty well. Enough to make a living writing software for molecular synthesis, something you couldn't do if you have only begun to understand the subject.

I have to say that both Chandra (who claims no scientific education beyond high school) and Entropic Man (a biologist) both seem to have far deeper knowledge of climate science and its literature than Monty, so I have to admit that I'm buggered if I can make out whether he's for real or not. If he *is* for real, then it would say an awful lot about climate science.

We seem unlikely to be enlightened by the man himself, so anyone care to hazard a guess as to which 'climate science' he has a research degree in? (He's already said .....not dendrochronology.)

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A. I have no idea, but I'd bet my pension Monty isn't a scientist. I get the impression that. like others before him/her he's assumed that the propaganda he' s been fed is true, so they turn up on sceptic sites expecting to run rings around a bunch of right-wing, undeducated, unscientific bigots with their SkS handbook "Catastrophe Made Easy".

Only this time instead of trolling he's pretended to be a bona fide scientists in the hope that we'd swallow it. To be honest I've spent a number of years in academia and there are the usual bunch of personality types, but one thing they all shared was a knowledge of their topics which seems lacking in Monty's case.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Very much seconded geronimo.

I probably have a degree of naivety in hoping that they might still tone down the rhetoric and just have an honest chat whilst fully realising that the human mindset can be a rather concrete thing.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM | Unregistered Commenterjones

geronimo

Thanks for that. And yes Co2 does absorb and re-emit but whether this actually results in net heating? Well I'm of the opinion if it were obvious then we'd have the reference and experiment.

The reason I get pedantic about it is that I saw this tactic of "almost there" science in my career. In one instance I was developing a new type of radio frequency type plasma device. We were told by the experts and our customers that it was doubtful the device would work because it had two coils very close to each other. Fair enough, but this was expanded to the idea that the coils would have to be far apart for the device to work, meaning the device wouldn't be as small or practical as it should.

The proof was 30 years of work on plasma devices, or so we were told. Turns out reality was that an investigation was started in the 1970s but as there wasn't a lot of money it was shelved. The theory remained and sort of became accepted wisdom.

It was very nice proving otherwise when we got the device to work. Even better showing we could draw two ion beams and control them with each coil.

Moral of the story: test it. You're often surprised by the results.

Every Co2 argument I read seems like deckchairs on the Titanic because it doesn't seem like people have bothered continuing the fundamental work. Which makes it kind of ludicrous when we hear the science is settled.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM | Registered CommenterMicky H Corbett

Dendrochronology, ie archaeological timber dating, with suitable material in a location with well established standard chronology is capable of remarkably accurate results. Dendroclimatology, the interpretation of past climatic variation is of course far more controversial, as many conflating environmental factors may be at work.

Interestingly, 'Dendrochronology was developed during the first half of the 20th century originally by the astronomer A. E. Douglass, the founder of the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research at the University of Arizona. Douglass sought to better understand cycles of sunspot activity and reasoned that changes in solar activity would affect climate patterns on earth which would subsequently be recorded by tree-ring growth patterns (i.e., sunspots → climate → tree rings).' (wiki)

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM | Registered CommenterPharos

Martin A, I referred to Geronimo's points 1 and 2:

> 1. Apart from mydogsgotonenote I know of nobody on this
> blog, or in the wider scepticsphere who doesn't know that
> CO2 is a GHG. Yet you seem to believe this is one of the
> legs of the chair of scepticism;

and

> 2. Nobody I know denies that an increase in CO2 will cause
> a rise in temperature.

I think it is clear from my four quotes and from subsequent comments on this thread that some people take issue with 1 and/or 2. How Geronimo has managed to miss this in all the time he has been a contributor here is unclear.

Later you said:

> someone who has taken (for example) a three year BSc
> course in molecular physics ... understands the subject
> pretty well. Enough to make a living writing software for
> molecular synthesis, something you couldn't do if you have
> only begun to understand the subject.

How deeply do you believe that? I would expect a suitable (selecting from the whole set) new grad would have enough knowledge to join a team writing such software, where the grad wrote small parts of the software and the team provided significant support and guidance. Gradually, over some years, I would expect the grad to become more experienced and after perhaps three or four years to be a solid team member, maybe even lead a small team. However, I would be rather surprised if many new graduates could, on their own, make a living in such a manner without that period of post-grad training.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Did you know?

In 1985, a fossil of a previously unknown species of gigantic prehistoric snake from the Miocene was discovered in Riversleigh, Queensland, Australia. The Australian palaeontologist who discovered the fossil snake was a Monty Python fan, and he gave the snake the taxonomic name of Montypythonoides riversleighensis in honour of the Monty Python team. (also according to wiki)

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM | Registered CommenterPharos

"And yes Co2 does absorb and re-emit but whether this actually results in net heating? Well I'm of the opinion if it were obvious then we'd have the reference and experiment."

I know there's a spectrum of opinion on this, but most sceptics accept that there will be heating from a GHG, but as you've spotted, probably because you took your science education beyond GCSE level, that a rise in temperature because of GHG doesn't necessarily mean a net increase in temperature.Martin A and I've said it, the increase in temperature caused by CO2 is just as likely to cause net cooling because of the increase in cloud cover that may, or may not, accompany the increase in water vapour.

So it's pretty easy to accept that the warming caused by CO2 increase would not necessarily finish up with net warming.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

The classic Balliol Rhyme is

My name is George Nathaniel Curzon,
I am a most superior person.
My cheeks are pink, my hair is sleek,
I dine at Blenheim twice a week.

So, in the time honoured spirit of Academia

My name is Monty, I'm so bright
What I say is always right
I dont need to prove my case
You're all just a waste of space

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:59 PM | Registered CommenterPharos