Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > EVs - Charging / Solar Panels

From the tales and projects I've followed wrt to the Tesla Roadster - I feel it's a safe bet that there isn't a single one that has survived with its original battery pack in regular use.

Iconic "collectables" is code for.... ?

May 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM | Registered Commentertomo

While I absolutely understand that Jeff Zaltman is making a pitch - I doubt that I'm the only one getting a whiff of Professor Pangloss.

I wonder if electric aircraft racers have enough juice in reserve to run coloured smoke generators?

We've had the Zero TT in motorcycles for some time and Formula E on four wheels - but energy density and in the case of Formula E, insanely arcane Formula rules (oh and this: https://racingnews365.com/watch-formula-e-field-runs-out-of-battery-on-last-lap-in-valencia) have not been kind to the Battery Boys. Doubtless the subsidy bandits in renewable energy world have shedloads of taxpayer cash to throw at this - but I somehow doubt that it'll make for compelling mass spectator sport unless there's some magic smoke action.....

I didn't check but an electric aircraft company in Stroud looks like the proceeds of larceny at Ecotricity has Kryten creaming his underwear

May 10, 2021 at 7:58 AM | Registered Commentertomo

James May - Model S flat battery

Quite an amazing oversight on Tesla's part.

I had assumed (as usual with my assumptions - wrong) that the 12V battery would be maintained by the main battery and the vehicle would make smoke alarm style 10 second spaced plaintive "meeps" when the main battery went below say 20% >>> not so...

https://youtu.be/NsKwMryKqRE

May 12, 2021 at 9:18 PM | Registered Commentertomo

I think the car gives plenty of warning if the main battery is running low but they do seem to have overlooked the little 12V one that runs all the systems......
Aiui all EVs have these secondary batteries so I expect there have been other such instances......

May 13, 2021 at 9:47 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

Too wow to be true?

The Liquid Piston Engine

https://youtu.be/lg6V4x2XeHo

May 16, 2021 at 2:54 AM | Registered Commentertomo

If proven, it looks like a good fit for a range-extender: small, light, etc..
However it does seem very similar to the Wankel concept....

May 16, 2021 at 10:22 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

The hybrid cycle technique is interesting. I wonder what it's thermal efficiency is at optimal operation speed... - since that number isn't out front and centre. That's something of a red flag when specific fuel consumption isn't prominent in the write-ups.... Worth following for a while....

It is a "Wankel" with a modified rotor and operating chamber.

May 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Engines...

https://youtu.be/_k1TQGK3mZI

May 17, 2021 at 2:20 AM | Registered Commentertomo

I scan-read a review of LR's upgraded PHEV version of the Disco Sport.
It is powered by a 1.5 litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine driving the front wheels with an electric motor driving the rears.

So it only has 4-wheel drive when there is charge in the battery to drive the rear axle.

That could get tricky. Say you've been driving fast for far enough to leave the battery at or close to minimum and then face some uphill driving in slippery conditions. Traction could be a serious problem.
A family trip to, say, an Alpine ski resort could become a real challenge. The car would be heavily-loaded and the climbs up to resorts are typically steep with no downhill sections to charge the battery. That dinky engine would be screaming its nuts off, dragging 2.5+ tons up the mountain. And 2-wheel drive in snow could make things very interesting.

I wonder how many buyers are aware that, despite the badge, the car does not have permanent 4-wheel drive?

May 18, 2021 at 11:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

Sounds like a recipe for the sort of retail remorse suffered by a friend of mine who treated herself to a BMW X1 to replace a LR Freelander and discovered it' was out of its depth on moist grass...

May 20, 2021 at 4:54 PM | Registered Commentertomo

What goes down.....
"Solar module prices have risen 18% since the start of the year after falling by 90% over the previous decade. The reversal, fueled by a quadrupling in the cost of the key raw material polysilicon, threatens to delay projects and slow uptake of solar power just as several major governments are finally throwing their weight behind it in an effort to slow climate change." (Bloomberg)

On that LR PHEV, apparently the rear wheels can always be powered, even when the battery is drained, because the engine's integrated starter/generator can supply electricity. However I have not found any info on the output of the s/g unit; what I have read suggests it will not be anywhere near the rating of the motor. Customer experience will probably shed some light in due course.

May 25, 2021 at 6:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

MikeHig

there's a lot of outfits tinkering with diesel electric drives out there - there was a movement about 5 years ago to shift vehicle electrics to 48V - just under the 50V longstanding "safe" voltage....

I expect that aftermarket upgrades will become a thing.... - cue magic smoke escapes?

May 26, 2021 at 7:57 PM | Registered Commentertomo

The MSM / press don't seem to have noticed this yet...

expect some mewling from the usual suspects

20% VAT on car charging electrons

May 26, 2021 at 8:20 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Royal Mail can't bring themselves to go EV

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/19300463.royal-mail-announce-crucial-change-operations/

and in London

you can individually emissions test your motorbike

https://www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com/

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:32 PM | Registered Commentertomo

So a campaign group took an electric coach down to Cornwall but then.....
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/touring-electric-coach-stranded-eden-5524525

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:16 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

Could be extended to cover some EV kit...

https://twitter.com/Markgsparrow/status/1405960127409278976/photo/1

MikeHig

as I've said elsewhere - standard operating practice for tour buses parked up - with heaters / aircons, WiFi, kettles, fridges, lights, laptops is to plug 'em in to a 3 phase power outlet - usually on a generator. Must've been a bunch of Soho advertising promotional folk who struggle with what phone charger lead to buy.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:51 PM | Registered Commentertomo

What a shame no piccies on BH

https://twitter.com/GiveUsAQuid/status/1406132754463477760/photo/1

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:26 AM | Registered Commentertomo

JCB have a H₂ chuffing digger :-)

It's got some Hydrogen junkies taking chunks out of each other

How long before noise pollution from IC engines becomes an electrified eco-loon talking point?

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:38 PM | Registered Commentertomo
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:27 PM | Registered Commentertomo
Jun 21, 2021 at 9:44 AM | Registered Commentertomo

A Tesla loosing its shit following a truck loaded with traffic lights :-)

I larfed

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:09 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Interest FREE loans to buy an EV - in Scotland - but apparently you can buy the vehicle concerned from near anywhere.

- New EV - up to £28k loan
- Second hand EV - up to £20k loan
- New Electric motorcycle - up to £10k loan
- Second hand Electric motorcycle - up to £6k loan

If you want an e-bike you can get a £6k loan for that too

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:16 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Electric Aviation

Trying to sort the wheat from the chaff

https://youtu.be/ubH9WdcPZvg

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:54 AM | Registered Commentertomo

From a GWPF post quoting Newsweek, California is struggling with power demand so is talking of pushing folk to charge their EVs during the day when power from solar and wind is usually more plentiful. Only problem.....daytime is when people are likely to want to use their cars. Could be a market for very long power cables?
Full post:
Meanwhile, California’s grid is so inadequate that it can’t effectively charge the tiny number of electric cars already on the road. Newsweek reports:
"As temperatures hit triple digits during California’s heat wave last week, the state’s power grid operators encouraged residents to relieve pressure on the grid by charging their electric vehicles before the peak energy use times of day.... “Now is the perfect time to do a load of laundry,” the state’s Flex Alert Twitter account posted on June 18. “Remember to use major appliances, charge cars and devices before #FlexAlert begins at 6 p.m. today.”
It is characteristic of some especially poor or war-torn third-world countries that electricity is available only intermittently during the day. California, welcome to the third world.
"Patty Monahan, the lead commissioner on transportation at the California Energy Commission, told Newsweek last month that the times of day Californians choose to charge their electric vehicles will be important in keeping the power grid balanced as reliance on electric vehicles grows...

Matthew Moniot, a researcher with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, said during a recent interview with Newsweek that electric vehicle owners now mostly charge their vehicles at night, but that will likely have to change so that more drivers are charging while energy production levels are higher."
There is a reason why EV owners charge their cars at night. It is because that is when they are not driving them. The problem is inherent, since the Sun doesn’t shine at night and winds tend to die down at night, as well.
There is no real solution to the problem when EVs represent two percent of the cars on the road, let alone in the hypothetical world where they are 100 percent.
"Increased reliance on solar and wind energy will present a “tricky problem” regarding “how much can we move what’s currently overnight charging to be during the daytime hours, when generation may be more excessive,” Moniot said. “The key is flexibility,” he added."
Sure. Drive your car at night, and charge it during the day.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

MikeHig

The daylight wind effect is real and I'm a bit surprised that it isn't widely quantified and factored in to the criticisms of wind power. It's going to be location dependant, a couple of weeks ago I saw a weekly snapshot of windmill output in Texas (iirc) and subjectively the daytime peaking was in the order of "70%" with some nights producing 'nowt. It may well have been a coastal site - but still, the variability, if connected to a grid - it's going to require revving the rest of the generators up and down over a wide range - which as we know is less than ideal.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:20 PM | Registered Commentertomo