Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > The end of the Great Delusion is at hand

PC is clearly not informed on American current events any better than he is on honestly reviewing climate issues. Trump is keeping his word, assembling a cabinet of extremely talented people who have had to agree up front to not lobby government for 5years after leaving office. He is setting aside his government salary
He just led an effort to save 1000 direct jobs. He is signalling clearly that he is thinking not only outside the box, but reasonably and effectively as well. As to the assertion that he "lied 20 times daily" on the campaign, well you are not the first climate extremist kook relying on fake news as the basis of their belief system. In fact one good definition of "skeptic" is that skeptics are people who realize that "fake news" and "climate change reports" are largely synonymous.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:30 AM | Unregistered Commenterhunter
Dec 2, 2016 at 10:49 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/us/politics/donald-trump-takes-credit-for-helping-to-save-a-ford-plant-that-wasnt-closing.html

And, of his list of achievements, you left out his paying $25 millions to victims of his fraudulent 'University'. LOL.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:59 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Heh, 'up to 37 times a day'. I wanna know if the red-letter '37' days are good days or bad days.
==================

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:07 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Phil regrets memorizing the catechism for a 'Chinese Hoax'.
==============

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:21 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Kobenhaven, '09; China conceals its chagrin at the failure of the shakedown of the guilt-ridden developed West by pretending outrage at the neo-colonialist manipulations of one Obama.
===============

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:25 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim
Dec 2, 2016 at 11:31 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

This one?

"I did not. I did not. I did not say that"

Trump, after Clinton accused him of saying that climate change is a hoax perpertrated by the Chinese.

"The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make US manufacturing non-competitive"

Trump Tweet 2012.

"I think there is some connectivity. Some, something. It depends on how much."

Trump, asked last month if there is a human influence on climate.

The Great Delusion may have some legs in it yet. Or not. Who knows what he believes today?

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:33 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

My first view of Tony Bliar on TV (before he was even leader of the Liebour Party), he made my flesh crawl. I was proved right on that; seeing Clinton on TV makes my very soul shrink from the sight – I see an unmitigated evil in her. There are lies cast against all sides in these arguments; I treat all such comments with scepticism, but generally trust my instincts. I have rarely been proven wrong.
Dec 1, 2016 at 11:31 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Blair always struck me as borderline insane.

Hillary is deeply, deeply creepy. And I never liked the idea of an alcoholic having the final say on the launching of USA's nuclear arsenal.

One of the factors resulting in Donald Trump's election was that Democratic voters were repelled by Hillary and they stayed at home in droves. The MSM had assured them that it was 90% that she'd be elected, so they saw no reason to get out, wait in line, and cast their vote for her, when she was going to be elected anyway.

Let's hope that Donald Trump will result in the end of the system where the Political Class (which includes Democrats and Republicans), in partnership with the MSM, exist in a world where the problems that affect the US working class are airbrushed out of existence, free speech is suppressed to political correctness, and where billions are spent on fighting imaginary monsters.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:37 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Well said, Martin A. One really cannot ask for anything more than that. We need to get the government out of our everyday lives, and into just getting the bins emptied, the roads repaired, catching crooks and keeping the peace.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

No need for concern, Phil; Trump is ably advised by Ebell about climate science matters. Energy is likely to have to be a big learn for him, but he has drawn lucky cards, fracking and abundance of domestic resources.

By the way, I wrote the Copenhagen critique above contemporaneously with the events, or nearly. I've even considered that with their untouched by Mann Tibetan tree ring series that they've come to understand that 'global warming', as we are able to effect it, is good for the Middle Kingdom.

For sure, the times they are a changin'. The alarum is easing, we'll understand climate and energy policy better in the future, and your crystalline palace of alarmism is turning into a hazard waste facility.
=================

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:08 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

And I just love it that Sarah Palin was saying words to the effect that she wasn't one to blame all of climate change on man about the time that Barack Obama was maundering on about stopping the rise of the seas. This was mid 2008.

Clue: We need to worry bigtime(bigly) when the sea level stops rising, even when the rise decelerates. Cooling would probably be in inevitable evidence by then, though, and further cooling evidently unavoidable.
==========

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Heh, Phil, I also wondered for years, before his so untimely recent death, whether Maurice Strong was in China rightly advising them, or being advised of his rights.
=================

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:19 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Poor Phil. The bit of NYT fake news he linked to implying Trump is just kidding about climate skepticism was debunked by the transcript of the interview. The NYT was just doing what they do best...deceiving their shrinking pool of readers. The tweet is of course out of context
China merely uses the climate scam to improve its trade position. PC, regurgitating fake news and oligarch talking points does not make you cleverer. Trump is assembling a team of diverse outsiders to deliver real hope and change. Reactionaries are understandably upset. Like climate hypesters, they depend on, as Mr. Obama did, the gullibility if people like you (figuratively since it appears you are on the UK) to believe the offal they serve you all daily.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

Martin A & Radical Rodent

I do hope that with their ill-gotten gains, the Clintons could set up a genuine charitable foundation, similar to the clinics set up by Betty Ford. It would do them both a lot of good, and their names and legacy would be viewed with more sympathy.

The US Democrat Party really needs to put more thought into their future selection criteria. Hopefully addiction to Climate Science will be seen as a "no-no", along with addiction to other substances including bribes and corruption.

The political message from 2016 seems to be that Climate Science addiction is toxic and lethal. Most politicians are quick to learn how to ditch losers from their campaigning.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Don’t bet on it, Golf Charlie. As you say, it is an addiction, and addicts will use any excuse to maintain their addiction. It is only when they admit that they have an addiction that anything can be done to help. As can be seen by the few examples we get in touch with on this interweb thingy, they are still in denial about it being an addiction.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:16 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

It is certainly impossible to tell which TrumpTweets are serious and which meant as a joke. Speaking of comedy:

Trump is assembling a team of diverse outsiders to deliver real hope and change.

Ha Ha Ha.

Trump is surrounding himself with the 1%: billionaires and millionaires, investment bankers and venture capitalists, Wall Street insiders and family fortune heirs, many educated at elite schools. It is the most brazen embrace of big money since the 1980s era of Ronald Reagan, Tom Wolfe’s Masters of the Universe and Oliver Stone’s Gordon Gekko.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/02/trumps-rich-pickings-president-elects-team-could-be-wealthiest-ever

Oh dear.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Phil Clarke, where did the Clintons get their money from? Why couldn't the Democrats find a less flawed candidate?

Of course the big question for Climate Science, is why did they not have any proof to back up their claims?

Didn't Obama destroy his own credibility by quoting, and relying on John Cook's fraudulent 97% Consensus conspiracy? If that is the best evidence that Obama's Science adviser John Holdren could find, why aren't you attacking John Cook and Skeptical Science for destroying Climate Science?

It took the FBI to unravel the fraud and corruption in FIFA. If the FBI have been obstructed from investigating Climate Science and the IPCC up until now, perhaps they will find some proof in the claims of Climate Science after all, because nobody else ever has.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:55 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

"Trump's cabinet of billionaires"

$46m
Steve Mnuchin
Secretary of
the Treasury

$13.6m
Tom Price
Secretary of Health
and Human Services

$1m+
Elaine Chao
Secretary of
Transportation

$7.5m
Jeff Sessions
Attorney General

$ Unknown
Nikki Haley
US ambassador
to the UN

That's only 5 out of the 8 people listed. The Guardian isn't strong on simple arithmetic.
Besides, the last time I checked, poverty was not a prerequisite to hold political office. Trump also said during the election campaign that he would appoint successful businessmen. If he had said that, and then appointed losers, it would be truly strange.

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:58 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Did you read to the end?

Betsy DeVos, education secretary. Daughter-in-law of Richard DeVos, co-founder of marketing company Amway. The family has a net worth of $5.1bn, according to Forbes.[...] Wilbur Ross, commerce secretary. Net worth of $2.9bn, according to Forbes. Dubbed a “vulture” and “king of bankruptcy” because of his knack for extracting a profit from failing businesses.

But 'outsiders'? Two ex-Goldman-Sachs, one ex-Rothchilds, Amway, Breitbart?

The guy hired to drain the swamp is stocking it with alligators.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

michael hart, if only The Guardian could detail how the Clintons and Blairs amassed so much money, because being UK Prime Minister or US President doesn't pay that well.

What the US Democrats and UK Labour Party don't seem to understand is why the "working classes", "lower paid", "manual labourers" etc don't trust them any more. It may be because they don't meet them or listen to a word they say.

Politicians across the USA, UK and now EU are getting the message. Don't listen to Bunny Hugging Swamp Dwellers.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:34 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Whoever has been funding Skeptical Science has a lot to answer for.

George Soros invested heavily in a Clinton win.

Jeremy Grantham is not seeing much return on his investments either.

Who would have thought so many wealthy financiers could have been so gullible? I suppose they will be more careful next time, having lost a packet on Brexit, POTUS, and possibly the EUs future aswell. It would be rational for them to turn some rage onto the Bunny Hugging Swamp Dwellers known as Climate Scientists, for all their lies and false prophecies.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:00 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

The guy hired to drain the swamp is stocking it with alligators.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:22 PM | Phil Clarke

I expect alligators are quite fond of bunny-hugging swamp dwellers, especially the ones who have enriched themselves and fattened up, sucking the blood out of taxpayers.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:33 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

The political message from 2016 seems to be that Climate Science addiction is toxic and lethal. Most politicians are quick to learn how to ditch losers from their campaigning.
Dec 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM golf charlie

It was significant that climate change did not seem to be mentioned at all in the presidential election.

I came across a comment by Ann Coulter (written before the election):

... there's a reason the left won't call Trump out on global warming, their core religious philosophy. If they let him loose on climate change, he'd destroy that too.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:42 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Phil, you appear to persist with the belief that rich and successful people are necessarily evil by default, and not just talented (or very lucky).

I would not be unhappy if 100% of Trump's cabinet was made up of billionaires. I also wouldn't be surprised: As a billionaire himself he is likely to know many billionaires personally and consider such friends trustworthy. In the same position I too would appoint people who were not unknown quantities.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:00 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart