Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > The end of the Great Delusion is at hand

Phil Clarke, I seem to remember that you thought Gergis 2016 was really good, and it was properly Peer Reviewed by Climate Scientists, with apparently all the right evidence.

If that is considered "A" Grade Climate Science, why should Climate Science carry on receiving taxpayer funding?

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:28 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Poor Phil has to deny and dissemble that there is anything to discuss. Just what a religious extremist does when faced with inconvenient thoughts and ideas....until they get around to censoring those who dare raising the inconvenient thoughts. Which they are getting around too as well, apparently.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:55 AM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

hunter, If Myron Ebell had any remaining doubts about US Taxpayers achieving Value For Money, he might conclude that the Big Green Blob should be allowed to take on 100% of all Climate Science research, as they are the only people that ever benefit from it.

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:37 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Phil's right but perhaps mistakes the case. The case for climate alarm is dismissed for lack of evidence. It may be re-filed someday; we should be allowed to hope for better safeguards against frivolity.
=========================================

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:18 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:33 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Phil Clarke. Oh thank you so very much. An early Christmas prezzie, and I haven't got anything for you that you would accept.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM | Unregistered CommenterACK

Mr Clarke: Ah. So you, too, rely on the same papers that that use the same flawed assumptions, suppositions, guesses and measurements massaged to such an extent that they could well be outright lies (see Paraguay, where measurements showing a downward trend have been “homogenised” to show an upward trend)? While you seem to accept that there could be cycles of imbalances that gives us day and night, tides, seasons and even the longer term cycles of el Niño and la Niña; cycles that not all of which are fully understood, you cannot accept that there could be other, longer-term cycles, of which we know even less about, other than observing them. No. There has to be a “cause” for this, and it has to be a problem, and a fearful problem at that (despite it never having caused any problems – indeed, quite the reverse, having resolved many other problems, to date), and you will join “The Cause” that blames all humans the industrialised West for the perceived problem. Oooh… and you expect us to take your seriously?

What would you say, should the temperatures start to fall, again?

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Phil, concentrating your scripture into concentrated bits does not change the lack of substance of your faith, nor does concentrating the evidence suddenly make it more credible.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

Heh, I have twice directly asked Specer Weart when he is going to write 'The Discovery of Global Cooling'.
===============

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:21 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Alan, I've astounded a number of small children by telling them that I can always predict what is inside of a wrapped gift. Most have been amused when I tell them that what is inside is a surprise.

Poor Spence, some of his readers, upon opening the book of climate knowledge, have been surprised how cold and crisp the bitter edge of that knowledge can be.
===============

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

kim The surgeon's knife of climate knowledge cuts keenly but not deeply enough to excise the tumour.

Might we request a Christmas poem free of Brexit and the Trump?

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM | Unregistered CommenterACK

Phil Clarke, so you still have no scientific evidence to support the reasons behind the founding of the IPCC.

This does confirm that Trump was wrong to claim that Global Warming was a fraud perpetrated by the CHINESE. The Chinese have clearly done very nicely out of it, but it does seem the fraud was committed closer to the United Nations, and probably in English.

Phil Jones played a blinder with his dodgy Chinese taken-away data about UHI, and this may have involved people from China, but not the Chinese, as a people.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:18 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

ACK, to help Kim, and use words that Phil Clarke understands, can you think of a word that rhymes with rowlocks?

Despite the billions of funding they have had, Climate Science still can't explain the MWP, LIA or the 1970s Ice Age scare in terms of CO2, whether manmade or not. Attempts by the Hockey Team to erase these Inconvenient Truths were deemed by the Hockey Team to be quicker, and cheaper, but have proved to be one of Climate Science's greatest failures, and simply demonstrate the complete dishonesty that has created this mess called "Climate Science".

I really would like to know which bits are worth saving, so that something can be salvaged. It just seems that the most financially successful climate scientists have played the politicians best, by flogging the worst science that politicians were happy to buy with other people's money.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:54 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

GolfCharlie. Depends if you want an unusual fishy Christmas theme. If so, then "pollocks" instantly came to mind.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM | Unregistered CommenterACK

ACK, Jackson Pollock's artwork was always overrated, much like climate science.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/11/30/more-south-australian-grid-instability-no-way-renewable-energy-can-be-blamed/

Demand for reliable power increases, as people start to understand the consequences of Unreliable Green thinking. It is cold in the UK, not much wind either, and solar stops producing in an hour. 2016 could end with power cuts due to inadequate supply. How will Greens Deny responsibility in the UK?

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

golfCharlie. By saying they weren't in POWER (Geddit?)

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM | Unregistered CommenterACK

ACK, oh yes!

The Greens have never understood power, which is lucky, because many more are going to have more time to spend with their composting toilets

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:43 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

golfCharlie. Composting toilets:
Every year we would take 100-150 first year environmental science students down to Slapton Lee field centre in South Devon. In the grounds were several composting toilets that the students were invited to try out - burnishing their green credentials as it were. Only a few (i.e. less than five a year) ever tried them and then usually only once. Green in thought, but not in deed.
I, of course steered well clear, having experienced my fill of such sanitary establishments during fieldwork in northern Saskatchewan, Western Australia and parts of the USA. Such wimps our students were.
So I doubt the UK Greens will spend much time with composting toilets.

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterACK

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Except when he is not. Placing faith in a man who lied at least 20 times a day during the campaign runs an obvious risk of disappointment when it transpires that Don the con was just saying what his constituency wanted to hear. Already the anti-elitist white billionaire has surrounded himself with rich white men, the swamp-drainer who blamed the 'global power structure' for robbing the working class and enriching the elite has appointed a former Goldman Sachs executive and hedge fund manager as Treasury secretary. Penny dropped yet?

The pussy-grabber in chief will soon be the Commander in chief, scary as that may seem, but the pussyfooting may soon stop. Soon his Generals will be briefing him that not only is AGW not a Chinese hoax, it represents a significant threat multiplier., at which point the flaxen haired billionaire may have to choose between building a gold golf course on the moon so doing to the planet what he wanted to do to that 10 year old girl on the escalator and some other legacy.

They say you can judge someone by the company they keep. Good luck.

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

ACK, perhaps the output of some Climate Scientists will smell better having passed through a composting toilet, but it seems no one can find evidence of any evidence being presented or required by the UN to set up the IPCC.

Perhaps it will turn up when they drain the swamp? The White House Plumbers set up by Nixon may need further investigation by the EPA, if it turns out that toilet discharges leak into the Swamp. Assuming the EPA retains any power to investigate ...

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:36 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Mr Clarke: and this is a better option?

I know which I prefer.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:17 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR. I never thought you would stoop so low. Have you heard the other side of this story? Do you believe that anyone deserves a defence lawyer? Do you really believe that defence lawyers necessarily believe what their clients wish them to present? Do you usually accept politically motivated TV pieces as the whole truth?
Sorry, I thought better of you.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterACK

ACK & Radical Rodent

I think the USA viewed two flawed candidates, and decided one was worse than the other. Alternatively, better the devil you don't know, than the one you do.

What lawyers do to get their clients found Not Guilty is disturbing. Laughing and boasting about it years later is very disturbing.

Irrespective of Left v Right, even Climate Science, the USA have got the more honest and trustworthy of the two candidates. The USA has already had the more honest of the Clintons as President. They did not want the more dodgy of the two.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Minty: my reading of the story is that there was no effort to find that the evidence against the culprit was flawed, but that the 12-year-old victim was gagging for it, and actively encouraged him. I have been a juror several times, and been appalled how gullible people can be when presented with a smooth-talking barrister, and can be eager to ignore the facts given, because of the silver tongue of the defence; this was not helped by the prosecution seeming to be utter imbeciles. Perhaps defence pays better than prosecution.

My first view of Tony Bliar on TV (before he was even leader of the Liebour Party), he made my flesh crawl. I was proved right on that; seeing Clinton on TV makes my very soul shrink from the sight – I see an unmitigated evil in her. There are lies cast against all sides in these arguments; I treat all such comments with scepticism, but generally trust my instincts. I have rarely been proven wrong.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:31 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent