Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Does Climate Science Exist?

Geronimo

Sorry, that should have been

1) CO2 concentration stabilised at 395ppm.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

The would be the ECS you're referring to, in the meantime we will only have TCR to deal with because the CO2 is showing no signs of stabilising. I'm not underestimating anything, at least I don't think I am, I'm using empirical data which shows that the TCR cannot explain the changes in temperature, and pointing out that no one else can either.

Both you and Dana have used the deltaT = lambda deltaF formula to estimate short term temperature rise, in the case of Nutti he announced that 0.29C was near enough to 0.45C to say that CO2 caused all the warming.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:05 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

EM

In areas where there are no currents the deep ocean will equilibrate to 4C. Where the thermohaline or other currents are mixing things up it will be warmer or cooler.
My understanding has always been that deep ocean temperature is 3°C but we'll not quibble about 1°. I can understand where "thermohaline or other currents" might make it warmer. But colder?

geronimo
0.29°, 0.45°? They're having a laugh and we're the mugs that are being laughed at. There is not a living being that could even come close to detecting that difference and for certain there is not an instrument or even a scientific hypothesis that could guarantee that level of accuracy.
Under what are usually referred to as laboratory conditions the theory might just be tenable. In a world where "the climate system is a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible" (IPCC TAR WG1 Executoive Summary) this whole debate is simply intellectual onanism.
Time for some of our more obsessive climateers to get a life.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:57 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

"the climate system is a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible"

A timely reminder.

If you have a dynamic system of:

- almost infinite complexity
- with cyclic dependencies
- with numerous nonlinearities
- with random effects
- with dynamic effects operating on timescales ranging from seconds to millennia.
and
- with a constant supply of energy,

then it would be reasonable to assume that the system:

[A] Would, of its own accord, generate ongoing apparently random behaviour that did not converge to any constant state.

[B] Would exhibit fractal-like behaviour (exhibiting apparent randomness at all timescales, from the shortest to the longest).

[C] Would have statistics of its states, following a perturbation, that would be non-unique.

All attempts to compute "Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity" tacitly assume that the system does not exhibit the things listed above. In other words, such attempts can yield only bollocks, quite apart from the other reasons such attempts are doomed to failure.

Making assumptions that cannot be verified seems to be a hallmark of "climate science".

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Geronimo, Mike Jackson, Martin A

Three posts playing the uncertainty card. ☺

Of course it is uncertain! This is not an electric circuit on a bench, about which you can have complete information.

This is a planet.

Don't be too keen to play the uncertainty card. Uncertainty is not necessarily your friend. The bottom end of the range is fairly benign; the top end is truly unpleasant.

Unfortunately, as more information comes in, the lower end outcomes are looking less likely and the high end projections more likely.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

"In areas where there are no currents the deep ocean will equilibrate to 4C"

Why? Why doesn't it eventually warm up to the atmospheric temperature. Conduction would be a slow process but it would eventually get there wouldn't it? Or are you saying it has always been 3/4 degrees throughout Earth's history. I asumed it would have cooled down a bit during a 100,000 year glacial period.

Do you have a link to a simple physics proof of the bottom being 3 or 4 degrees?

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

EM
Stop speculating.
What "top end"? Temperatures, as far as we know, were higher during the MWP and the Roman Warm Period and probably the Minoan Warm Period as well, during which civilisations flourished.
There is no evidence other than the sort of hypothetical flannel which you appear to espouse (along with the likes of Nuccitelli and panicmongers like Gore and Hansen and eco-activists with a massive agenda of their own) that there is anything untoward in what the climate is currently doing or is likely to do in the foreseeable future.
Nor is there slightest reason to assume that a 2°C rise in temperature (as compared to when? - another question that the scaremongers are reluctant to answer) is anything other than a figure plucked out of the air by Edenhofer. At any rate he claims to have invented it 'cos the politicos wanted something simple to scare the sheeple with.
No massive (or any) increase in storms, winds, rain, gales, heatwaves, sea level rise as compared with the long-term.
Daily more evidence that the only way to link CO2 to temperature is by dubious statistics and dodgy graphs.
Two papers in the last fortnight positing a serious downturn in solar activity within the the next 20 years and if I were you I would be infinitely more worried about the possibility of a new LIA than with a bit of extra (beneficial) CO2 and a bit of extra (beneficial) warming.
Especially if by the mid-20s half the civilised world has shut down most of its reliable power generation and made the rest so expensive that only the élite will be able to eat properly and keep themselves warm.
Do I feel lucky? Yes, I do. Lucky that I shan't still be here when Europe is back in the 18th century either because the idiot so-called "environmentalists" have dragged us back there with their idiotic anti-fossil fuel ignorance or because the climate has.
Climate theory was a fun idea to pass a few boring winter afternoons and screw a bit of research money out of government but the joke's wearing a bit thin and it's time to put the toys away (especially the games computers) and get back to earning an honest living in the real world.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:19 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

If you can't think of something original to say, there are always plenty of well-worn clichés to be parroted from ATTP etc.

do you feel lucky, punk?
Jun 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Do you feel lucky, punk?
Aug 1, 2015 at 3:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

"Three posts playing the uncertainty card. ☺"

Not mine, at least.

Re-read it and you'll perhaps see that I was trying to say the "climate science" is simply talking complete nonsense when it talks about so-called climate sensitivity, not merely that that there are probabilities involved.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:26 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

This is very lazy - commenting on a second hand comment about something someone else (EM) is supposed to have written. But how did the change in radiative forcing from CO2 over the period 1910-40 become 5.35ln(310/290)? Data in climatology changes from month to month, but Nasa/GISS still has the CO2 concentration for 1910 at around 300, that for 1880 around 290. This change would approximately halve the claimed figure (and the stated observed temperature change of 0.45C over this period seems slightly low as well).

The point I was going to make on the question at issue concerns the climate literature. This must be exceptional (??) for the proliferation of different sources for essentially the same data, together with the repeated, frequent revision of these data sets. Empirical research in this literature must rapidly become obsolete through the data used having changed considerably. A transient literature cannot be helpful to any discipline.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:36 PM | Unregistered Commenterbasicstats

"Three posts playing the uncertainty card."

"Of course it is uncertain! This is not an electric circuit on a bench, about which you can have complete information.

This is a planet."

Is the vino kicking in? You are the one saying there's a direct and predictable outcome from increased CO2 - just like an increase in voltage will increase current if resistance stays the same - we are the ones saying that simpleton ideas about being able to foretell the future based on one parameter in an incredibly complex interacting system is bollocks.

It's not uncertainty I'm worried about it is complete and utter ignorance of what has caused warming and cooling in the climate system being presented as "uncertainty".

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Do you have a link to a simple physics proof of the bottom being 3 or 4 degrees?
Aug 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

Rob, I think it's to do with the properties of seawater (how density, temperature, pressure, freezing point, and salinity are interrelated). Essentially cold water arrives down there at a greater rate than heat arrives there and the whole thing finds its equilibrium state and stays there.

Nothing much to do with climate I think, at least as long as there is a source of cold sea water somewhere or other.

(Not that it's relevant, but I think that fresh water, at atmospheric pressure, has its maximum density at 4°C.)

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Rob Burton

Martin A got in ahead of me. Cooler water is denser water, until you get to 4C. It then gets less dense to 0C when it freezes. This is why ice floats.

Most of the 4C deep ocean water comes originally from the Arctic or Antarctic. Being denser than warmer water it sinks off the continental shelves onto the abyssal plain and stays there.

If you look at the temperature profile of the oceans you see decreasing temperatures as you go deeper.

In the Arctic and Antarctic you get meltwater at less than 0C which complicates things somewhat.

You would only warm that deep ocean water once the supply of cold water stops. This would require a complete thaw of both the Arctic and Antarctic. While there is more than 500 cubic kilometres/year coming off Greenland and Antarctica land ice at present, a complete thaw looks unlikely.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Martin A

Alas, someone else always beats me to the good lines. ☺

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:45 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Mike Jackson

"What "top end"? Temperatures, as far as we know, were higher during the MWP and the Roman Warm Period and probably the Minoan Warm Period as well, during which civilisations flourished."

That is based on transient spikes in one ice core. Combine data from many ice cores and the spikes disappear.

Most of the rest of your post is a rant, not worth a reply.

I will mention that one of the two solar papers you mention discusses a drop in sunspot activity of 60%. This is less change than you see in one solar cycle and a cooling effect of about 0.2C. Your mini ice age looks unlikely.

Regrettably all this is not a joke. Sometime this century will be hit by a ropadope of resource depletion, overpopulation and climate change.. Denial is not going to help.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Geronimo

You still have this all or nothing approach to uncertainty.

Look at the manual for your multi-meter. It will say something like *"Measurement. Of resistance in the range 0-1000 Ohm's. Uncertainty +/- 0.05 Ohm's.

Electronics must be a marvellous profession. All the uncertainty left behind with the scientists who developed the principles you use with such confidence.You do not even seem to be aware of the uncertainties under which you operate.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:29 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM. You have no idea what my approach to uncertainty is, but strangely you're certain you know. You seem to have a definition of uncertainty which allows complete and utter ignorance to be called "uncertainty" which, conveniently, allows warmist alarmists to make outlandish forecasts for the future of the climate and mankind on the basis of applying probabilities to ignorance. "Uncertainty" in the real world is meant to imply there is some basis for making a choice of emperical alternatives, but climate scientists aren't looking at the scientific alternative of a voltmeter and telling us that its accuracy is +/-0.5%, (empirical evidence from voltmeter), they're making shit up (computer models programmed by people who believe there are upcoming disasters) and telling us it has an accuracy of +/-0.5%.

And I don't want to go into a philosophical debate about the eye of the reader when looking at a voltmeter, or the angle at which it's read, or the affect of warming on the voltmeter output etc. etc. these are all uncertainties we can live with because the voltmeter is measuring a real world phenomenon.
I note you've stopped giving me lessons on TCR. Both you and Nutti made, what for you is, a blunder when working out the 1910 - 1940 temperature rise. You could have made a good case for the 0.45C rise in temperature if you'd thought about it for a bit, and almost certainly would have presented it as such, but you didn't. I any event it would have made other calculations less certain. But that's uncertainty for you.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:26 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Sorry, EM,but the myth is with you.
1. I repeat, there is no firm evidence that points to anything catastrophic in the behaviour of the climate. The more that genuine scientists take the subject seriously and start, ever so slowly, to move away from the scaremongering of the environmental extremists and back into the realms of reality the less plausible such catastrophe becomes. And if you think that forecasts of a possible 'Maunder Minimum' within the next two decades are something that can be safely ignored then good luck to you. (And please don't mention Iran. One heatwave in one very hot country is still only weather no matter how severe it is.)

2. "Resource depletion" has been around for well over 100 years and we've seen no sign of it yet. Once again this is scaremongering and insulting to your fellow beings because it assumes that mankind has lost its ability to invent, discover or adapt. It also ignores the fact that we have barely scratched the surface of this planet and if (big 'if' admittedly) the 'impossible' rocket drive actually works it potentially opens up the rest of the solar system for exploration.

3. I have said before that it would be possible to give every human being currently alive ½-acre of land in Australia (johanna willing!) and have the rest of the world for whatever you wanted to do with it. The earth is quite capable of supporting a population considerably greater than the present one which in any event is likely to peak at around 10 billion by mid-century (according to the UN) and by 2100 may well have started downwards towards a level which. some say, could be 2-3 billion below what it is at the present time.

All of which puts discussions about fractions of a degree variation in temperature firmly into the realms of angels and pins, which is where it belongs. The rest of us have a life to lead.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

EM. You have no idea what my approach to uncertainty is, but strangely you're certain you know.
Aug 2, 2015 at 8:26 AM | geronimo

The key to understanding where EM is coming from is the following:

[A]. EM imagines how things are, often on the basis of zero evidence or total ignorance. What he has imagined immediately becomes, for him, indistinguishable from reality. No further verification is needed - he happily states what he has imagined as fact .

Ironic in somebody who witters on continually about how science should be conducted.

(Plenty of examples in this thread alone including EM's categorical statement that I have big gaps in my knowledge of biology, geology, chemistry and astronomy, based on no more evidence than that he has never seen me mention those subjects).

[B] EM is convinced that terrible things lie in store in the not-too distant future.

His life seems to be dedicated to finding snippets, no matter how tenuous, to support his convictions of doom.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:28 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A
And to me one of the great mysteries of climate science is why the Climateers (by which I mean people like EM or raff or ATTP — not the actual scientists but the chorus), presented with even the slightest evidence that the world is not going to hell in an overheated handcart, will either ignore it or do their level best to accuse the producer of such evidence of being in the pay of Big Oil or of not being peer-reviewed or not a "proper" climate scientist instead of taking some slight comfort that just perhaps things might not be so bad as they have been led to believe.
It looks very much as if climate science divides people into two groups: optimists like us who are keen to see a bright future for the world in general and mankind in particular whenever the opportunity presents itself and the pessimist/masochists who can see nothing but bad news stretching in front of us and (apparently) want things to be that way.
Weird!

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Mike J. I fear the "optimists" are very much in the minority. We have always had people telling us that if we don't do as they demand there will be terrible consequences, and they have always found more people who believe them than those who don't, and moreover, managed to silence the non-believers to remove all possible doubts. I take the environmental movement very seriously indeed, people may look upon them as a small minority who are irritating, and indeed making some good suggestions about the environment, but underneath it all is a tyranny waiting to happen. They are undermining democracy with lobbying and organised protests, including letter writing protests; they have successfully stopped the development of fracking in the UK on the back of a campaign of fear mongering lies; the have prevented the production and distribution of Golden Rice with a campaign of fear mongering lies and physical bullying. The are a thoroughly malign influence on human beings, and not much better on the environment they claim to be protecting, but instead of being rebuffed they are growing in influence, with Obama being to the environmental movement what the Emperor Constantine was to Christianity.

The only fear I have for my children and grand children is that these ugly reminders of past tyrants get into political power whence their cruel and vicious intentions will be able to flourish under the rule of law.

As for EM, methinks he's an SkS regurgitator, but you're bang on on wanting to understand why these people want there to be catastrophic threats, they have a psychological need for the prospect of a dire future unless we execute virgins on the first of every month, or similar token actions that, surely they know? won't have the slightest effect on our climate.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:05 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

presented with even the slightest evidence that the world is not going to hell in an overheated handcart, will either ignore it or do their level best to accuse the producer of such evidence of being in the pay of Big Oil or of not being peer-reviewed or not a "proper" climate scientist instead of taking some slight comfort that just perhaps things might not be so bad as they have been led to believe.

Mike J - as has been said before, that is easily enough explained via its belief/sect/religion aspects. Having signed up to a belief system, a person will generate any amount of rationalisation to discount anything that is not in accord with their acquired beliefs. Logic and evidence play no part.

Personally, I tend to take a pessimistic view of things, having contingency plans ready for all the things that could go wrong to actually go wrong - on the basis that they might actually happen and I greatly dislike being up shit creek and being asked awkward questions by a customer. This means that everything that does *not* go wrong in a project comes as a pleasant bonus. But I just can't sign up to EM's "we are all *doomed*" beliefs.

Life has improved century by century (not just recently) for just about everybody, notwithstanding the occasional setback. This is due to a million advances - from laws protecting property rights, the provision of piped water, to GPS systems. It would be illogical to assume that advances will not continue to be made - and to outstrip effects of the odd resource depleation here or there.

There is clear and unquestionable evidence for how life has improved. Notwithstanding that, a great many people delight in believing that doom is coming our way. The only explanation for this has to be that there is a tendency, seated very deep in the human psyche, to want to believe such things.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

The irksone aspect, as I said in a reply to EM, is that the belief system (and it's nothing to do with climate per se; it's the neo-Malthusian, Ehrlichian, control freaks jumping on a passing bandwagon) assumes that tout à coup mankind has lost all the abilities that have stood him in such good stead since he came down from the trees (or up out of the oceans if you prefer Elaine Morgan's theory).
Do the likes of EM and ATTP really believe, on at best relatively flimsy evidence, that disaster is looming or do they have some other agenda that they are scared to be up-front about? My experience of eco-loons inclines me more toward the latter. Their belief is in resource depletion and over-population and I now realise that EM actually gave the game away in his 10.06pm posting last night.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Martin A The human need to believe in upcoming catastrophes, Nostradamus was still being quoted in the 1970s, and the failure of the most ambitious forecast of all Robert Malthus' theory of population didn't die with it's demonstrable failure. I take solace that we've been here before and here is a quote from the 1830 parliamentary debate on what to do about Malthus' theory that I cherish.

"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"

Thomas MacAuly

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:20 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

geronimo
Macaulay! Now there was a man! Probably one of the brightest and most forward thinking of his generation and a prolific historian and writer and (arguably) the driving force in parliament behind the 1832 Reform Act.
Certainly a doughty fighter (as your quote illustrates) against the "Aye been" tendency though I believe that like me he was also a follower of Viscount Falkland's adage, "when it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change".
The balance between the two (change when needed but nor for its own sake) is what made Britain such a successful nation in the 19th and early 20th century.
They really do not make them like him today, more's the pity.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:25 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Geronimo: your pessimistic view of optimists does seem to ignore the evidence: most people couldn’t give two hoots about climate change, as they get on with their lives in much the same way as usual. When they do give a hat-tip to the oncoming catastrophe, it is when they can see some benefit for themselves – more efficient engines giving greater mpg; longer-life light bulbs burning less electricity; greater insulation lowering the gas bill; getting other people to pay for their electricity by putting panels on the roof, etc, etc… No, the only pessimists in this picture are the likes of Entropic Mann, who would only find something else to be fearful of, if he didn’t have global warming [sic]. Then again, even he isn’t that bothered about it, as he has admitted that he is doing very little to reduce his input into the metaphorical climate-changing machine.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:32 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent