Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Does Climate Science Exist?

EM - I know very well what is a "zero sum game" in game theory, but I have never come across the term "a zero sum process" in physics.

It clearly means something to you (Jul 27, 2015 at 3:04 PM). Please excuse my ignorance, but would you care to enlighten us about this concept - what it means, and what is its significance?

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

OK EM, I see where you got the phrase. ssat said "Greenhouse effect exists with radiation energy within the system summing to zero."

I think if you look at what he is saying you'll see that it is to do with the energy arriving at the Earth's surface via the so-called back radiation summing to zero with the correspondingly increased emitted energy.

(In fact I like analogies but only where they are useful. Olson)

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

"the energy arriving at the Earth's surface via the so-called back radiation summing to zero with the correspondingly increased emitted energy."

True under stable conditions.

Surface longwave radiation - downwelling radiation = Outward longwave radiation =insolation

Under those conditions downwelling radiation is constant and temperature is stable. The energy content of the system is constant.

You might describe this as a zero-sum system since the the change in energy with time is zero.

Under warming conditions such as AGW the balance is disturbed. Increased CO2 increases the downwelling radiation and increases effective TOA altitude.

The result is that surface longwave radiation - downwelling radiation is less than insolation. The system accumulates energy.

As surface and other temperatures rise, surface longwave radiation increases. Finally this increases by the same amount as the increased downwelling radiation and the balance between OLR and insolation returns.

To achieve this the heat content of the system has increased with time, not zero-sum by ssat's criteria.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Martin A

It seems very restrictive to expect all analogies to be cast in the language of electric circuits. A biologist, geologist or astronomer uses analogies from his own area of expertise. Thus I find it easy to understand energy flow in climate systems because of my experience of energy flow in ecosystems.

You seem to define "useful" as within your own limited area of expertise. Fair enough. You do not seem widely read outside your own speciality, so I will endeavour to keep future analogies electrical.

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:34 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

You do not seem widely read outside your own speciality

EM - I think you have no virtually idea what areas I have worked in nor what are my areas of expertise. I think it is quite possible that you have never even heard of some of the areas in which I have accomplishments.

Please don't try to explain non electrical things with electrical analogies. It makes you come across as a condescending ex-schoolteacher and it does not help you to get across whatver point it is that you want to make.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A: at long last, you are starting to catch on…

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR - no I was always wise to EM's variability - - amateur scientist - bullshit merchant - hate speech purveyor - part time loony.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:45 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Hmmmm.... with the speed at which CO2 is increasing, I wonder how valid the claims about "unstable conditions" actually are?

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

Martin A

You have claimed accompliahments before, unfortunately as long as you remain anonymous I can only judge you by what you write. Like Radical Rodent I can only judge the limits of your ignorance by the areas in which I refer to something and you react with puzzlement. Mapping past replies you seem to have expertise in electronics, but big gaps in biology, geology, chemistry, astronomy and, surprisingly, physics.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

SandyS is another electronics man, with similar gaps to yourself.

I haven't worked out what expertise, if any, Radical Rodent and geronimo possess.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

OK, I'll bite, EM.
What big gaps of Martin A's knowledge have you mapped in Biology and Chemistry?
I may not have seen them.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Michal hart

I'm not going to dig back through years of comments but a couple of examples come to mind.

He shares Latimer Alder's delusion that you cannot measure pH to better precision than 0.1.

I mention energy flow in biological systems, photosynthesis and respiration, changes in treeline altitude and get the literary equivalent of blank looks.

He was unable to use specific heat and thermal expansion coefficient to calculate a year's energy accumulation in the global ocean.

I recently used a geological analogy when discussing the structure of the OLR and he clearly had no idea of cave structure.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:18 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Michael hart

On, he does know game theory. ☺

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

The problem is that EM is ignorant of physics and the scientific method. He is a scientivist.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:59 AM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

Here is the exchange that leads Entropic Man to conclude that Martin A "clearly has no idea of cave structure".

EM:

The IPCC definition refers to radiative forcing under standard conditions as a change in downwelling radiation with time. The tropopause reference is because downwelling radiation can often be easier to measure from orbit as the difference between the OLR and the black body radiation at TOA.

To use a cave analogy, think of a limestone cave with a flat floor and a domed roof.

The amount of black body radiation is the total volume of the cave,.

The OLR is the volume of air in the cave and the downwelling radiation is the volume of the stalactites.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM Entropic man

Martin A:

EM
Sorry to break it to you, but your analogies (eg 'volume of stalectites' ≍ 'downwelling radiation') are distracting rather than helpful.

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:24 AM Martin A

From this exchange, Entropic Man deduces that Martin A "clearly has no idea of cave structure". This is a good illustration of the sort of nonsense that Entropic Man comes up with and states as fact.

(Note as an aside that Entropic Man seems to think that "the total volume of the cave" is not the same as "the volume of air in the cave". Mental confusion?)

It would be a bit surprising if Martin A really could not do O-level physics calculations in specific heat and expansion.

Did Martin A actually admit that such calculations were beyond his abilities? Or did Entropic Man merely deduce it in the same way he deduced that Martin A "clearly has no idea of cave structure"?

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:09 AM | Unregistered CommenterMartin A's Mum

I am aware of massive gaps in my scientific knowledge but I think I am right in claiming that anyone who thinks it is possible to measure the ph of "the oceans" at all, let alone to an accuracy of 0.1 is seriously deluded.
The same applies, incidentally, to anyone believing it is possible to measure the "global" temperature to any degree of accuracy.
Precision, yes; accuracy, not a chance!

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:10 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

MJ, I'll confess I only asked EM for a laugh. He likes to claim things he thinks people said, and I sometimes enjoy reading them.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

He shares Latimer Alder's delusion that you cannot measure pH to better precision than 0.1.
Jul 28, 2015 at 8:18 PM Entropic man

EM - As I have said before, you seem to imagine how things are and then that becomes your reality.

If you wish to post bullshit that you have made up then that is normally your problem and not mine. But it becomes my problem too when you start to imagine that I said things that I did not say and then you post comments implying that I did say such things.

I am pretty certain I have never said that the pH of a solution cannot be measured to better precision than 0.1 - or that I even implied such a thing. Please withdraw what you said - or point to where I said it so I can correct it.

Note than measuring a pH value is something quite different from estimating "a global average pH value for the ocean".

I think have pointed out before that the idea of an average pH is physically meaningless and it has an infinity of possible definitions, none of which has any more claim to validity than any of the others.

But the sparsity of available measurements means that an ocean average pH is a nonsense number which is essentially a guess, in any case.

"While ocean acidification is well documented in a few temperate ocean waters, little is known in high latitudes, coastal areas and the deep sea, and most current pH sensor technologies are too costly, imprecise, or unstable to allow for sufficient knowledge on the state of ocean acidification."
Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

No known accomplishments or skills.

Mike you are, as ever, right. Most of the so-called lines of evidence are seriously flawed. I suppose you could look for a signal in the GATA data if you were sure that exactly the same weather stations were used over the period under review, and the data was collected in exactly the same way, but that's not what they do, so any hope that there is a meaningful signal about temperature in the data is futile. The notion that the oceans can yield a meaningful average pH is infantile. What's more, the oceans have been around billions of years when CO2 was ten times or more than today and not once have they been acidic. (Note for activists the oceans can only get more acidic if they are already acidic, and they've never been acidic and aren't now).

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

geronimo
I sense a little light at the end of this long tunnel though how long it will take to get there I don't know.
Straws in the wind
— the concept of a global average temperature is losing credibility. It would need several thousand more sensors measuring minute by minute in areas of the world where such measurements would be impossible to produce even a ballpark estimate which is unlikely to be accurate even to the 2° that is supposedly the critical figure which must not be exceeded.
— there is no such thing as a ph figure for "the oceans", as I said above. The same measurement problem applies. The variation is simply too great and in any event the likely effects are unknown since as far as we know ph has varied widely in the past without being detrimental to life in the seas. People are beginning slowly to understand this.
— as they are the idea that a 2° increase in temperature is not going to result in the seas rising 10 / 20 / 30 metres (do I hear 40?) any time soon.
— increasingly charlatans like Nuccitelli are making themselves look ridiculous with claims that a decline in sea ice over 30 years represents the "long-term". It barely represents the long-term in the history of industrialisation let alone the current inter-glacial, let alone the total span of the earth's climate.
— I think there is a better than even chance that people are going to be a lot more scared by the possibility of a new little ice age, which two recent papers are predicting, since there is ample historical evidence for this and none for the scaremongering that the warmists are spreading.
And there is increasing doubt about whether they've got the science right in the first place,evidenced by the coherent arguments advanced on blogs like this and quite a few others and the adamant refusal to allow of any watering down of the AGW belief system and ever more unlikely explanations for why things are not as we were assured 10 years they were going to be.

And while I've been penning this, Australia have lost three more wickets and are now at 94 for 7 off only 27 overs.
Terrible thing, schadenfreude. They tell me!

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:47 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Robert Burns says it all as far as I'm concerned about EM

Ye see yon birkie, ca'd a lord,
Wha struts, an' stares, an' a' that;
Tho' hundreds worship at his word,
He's but a coof for a' that:
For a' that, an' a' that,
His ribband, star, an' a' that:
The man o' independent mind
He looks an' laughs at a' that.

In Em's case the 100s worshiping at his word would be school children in their early teens, probably no others here.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Mike J. Shame about the Aussies, although it's a five day test and the buggers are nothing if they're not resilient.

"— increasingly charlatans like Nuccitelli are making themselves look ridiculous with claims that a decline in sea ice over 30 years represents the "long-term". It barely represents the long-term in the history of industrialisation let alone the current inter-glacial, let alone the total span of the earth's climate."

They've also got to deal with it increasing instead of decreasing. I was surprised that Richard Betts, late of this parish, found that SkS had some interesting things to say. I don't normal associate the views of people who photoshop themselves in Naze paraphernalia with "interesting". I think Richard's given up on us now.

To be fair I'm not sure that we aren't exaggerating the effects of mitigation because of our own fears. On the other hand we do know that the mitigationers aren't mitigating to save the world, in their own words they are mitigating to change the world.

Never trust an Aussie with a cricket bat - or ball. It's not over yet.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

geronimo
Even SkS must get something right occasionally! You're not wrong about the mitigationers but then we've known for years — those of us with their wits about them, that is — that this is not about the science if indeed it ever was.
Global warming and the part played in it (allegedly) by CO2 has been manna from heaven for those who seek a fundamental shift in society to their benefit and everyone else's detriment which they know would never command popular support.
People like SkS and (most regrettably) Richard Betts are at best comparable with Lenin's "useful idiots". Ward and Grantham are simply capitalising on the gravy train for as long as it runs. The future of the planet is of no concern to them whatsoever; their only interest is in filling their bellies while the good times last.

On the question of trust: you remind me of the first two things that Marines are taught at boot camp — never trust a sailor with a rifle or an officer with a map. Recently I heard a third added: or a civilian with a clipboard.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:26 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

I don’t want to spoil this Let’s-all-gang-up-on-EM party; while it might appeal to our baser human instincts, it is hardly the ground where those who wish to be scientific – and to be thought of as scientific, as well as being seen to be applying proper scientific reasoning – should be treading. Shall we return to the topic of Martin A’s original discussion: Does Climate Science Exist?

The answer, as someone has said, quite recently (but I cannot find it to correctly attribute it) – yes… and, no.

Yes, as an entity labelled “Climate Science”, and no, it is not a Science in the full and proper use of the term. History has shown that it is the thinkers and those who push against commonly-accepted boundaries that have enabled humanity to make the progress it has, from scratching a subsistence existence in caves, to exploring the stars. Science is, if you allow this, in symbiosis with the larger, more productive part of society; an awful lot of what science does could be construed as wasted effort, as there can be little end result. However, we have learned that even a non-result can give positive benefits, even if only to tell us not to waste any more resources in that field! The positive returns of Science, or course, are what has propelled us into space. However, “Climate Science” has grown to become a parasite, encrusting itself with a protective shell off which all criticism and argument bounces, and exuding a poison in response to those who throw any (witness the diatribe against the full-on warmist, Bjon Lomborg, with his questioning of the direction Climate Science is taking) slings of doubt, as it entwines itself within significantly influential parts of society, enabling it to continue sucking at precious resources.

Climate Science is a beast that needs to be beaten back, to be de-clawed and de-fanged and retrained, so that it might return to its proper role of meekly expanding Science in its own, limited field.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:39 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent