Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > That CO2 thing again..

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:21 PM | Nullius in Verba

Can you not give a rough summary on what controls the re-emission time?

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

"Can you not give a rough summary on what controls the re-emission time?"

Yeah. The lifetime of a transition between two states depends on the extent to which the time-dependent Hamiltonian of the molecule perturbed by an EM wave couples the wavefunctions of the 'before' and 'after' states, or to put it another way, the extent to which the 'before' and 'after' motions overlap when projected in the 'direction' (in an abstract vector algebra sense) of the oscillatory wave. The lifetime of a state depends on the lifetimes of all the possible transitions it can undergo, which all happen in parallel, and tends to be dominated by the shortest of these. Did you look up the stuff on Fermi's Golden Rule?

Or perhaps it's easier just to think of it as one of those quantum things.

"Reverting to CO2, I am still not clear that thermalisation can take place in a non-bounded system and would love to see the experimental evidence for this."

The experimental evidence for thermalisation is that things get warmer when you shine a light on them, as the energy is absorbed. If it wasn't absorbed, but re-emitted in the same form it arrived, that would be scattering rather than absorption. What do you mean by "bounded" and why do you think it would make a difference?

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

Ronaldo who said anything about it being an analogy. I was merely pointing out that energy is partitioned amongst translational, rotational and vibrational components when you heat the water and pan. It is exactly the same for the CO2. A photon is absorbed by a molecule raising the vibrational quantum level of that particular molecule. At some time in the future that energy might be lost be emission of a photon, or it might be thermalised by distribution into rotational and translational modes. You seem to think that energy cannot be converted from vibrational to translational modes and this is a misconception. As NiV says consider the molecules are continuously bumping into each other and transferring energy.

I don't know what the characteristic time for thermalisation is and this will depend on pressure, composition of the gas phase etc. but from memory I think it is on the order of micro to tens of micro seconds.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

So, is a captured photon always thermalised? Or most but not all? Which brings me back to what proportion of photons are intercepted by CO2 and H2O? Or to put it another way, how much energy in the relevant bands is left? Or do we not know because from space we can see the other side of the equation, thermalised gases energising CO2/H2O and causing it to radiate in those bands from high altitude? Ok then, what do we see from 5km up, and 10km and 20km. Seems to me that the different spectra would tell us a lot, taken at the same time on the same day. Seems to me that would be a lot better evidence than some sleight of hand with coke bottles.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

It's all gone quiet. Are my last questions too stupid or too obvious to require an answer? Or does nobody know?

I can't accept that anybody who believes in the consensus view and thinks they understand the mechanisms can be in the 'don't know' camp on questions which are simple to express and quite obvious things to ask. Unless it is my understanding which is lacking.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM | Registered Commenterrhoda

rhoda - I'd suggest posting your questions on SoD. Whenever I have posed a question there it has been answered comprehensively and in a pleasant manner. (In contrast to Realclimate.) The people there give the impression of being well informed. I am pretty sure that if the answers to your questions don't exist, they will know that and they will say so.

On the thread that Raff pointed to http://scienceofdoom.com/2014/06/26/the-greenhouse-effect-explained-in-simple-terms/, I asked whether a review article explaining the principles involved and summarizing current knowledge was available.

SoD is always good at coming back with references to original sources. He gave references from 1964, 1967 and 1978. Plus a more recent (1998) invited review article which he said he'd email to anybody wanting to read it. (I have not yet seen that article.)

The first thing that made me realise there was something odd about climate science was the difficulty of tracking down introductory overview articles for the informed general reader at a level above "CO2 traps heat. Back radiation warms the earth".

could you please give me a link to rgb's principal posting on WUWT on climate models. Either I can't find it or it was a shorter posting than I remember. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin, rgb is more usually found in the comments there, but this is a post from him

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/05/21/is-the-climate-computable/

I found it by using the search here, up there under navigation. Just put in rgbatduke and you'll get pointers to other comments of relevance.

I don't know whether I'll go to SoD. I just think it's strange to be able to find out how far an excited CO2 molecule goes before it hits O2 or N2 (they must have a very small ruler) but not how much radiation is left in the relevant bands at toa.

It's something that must be known. And if I knew it and was aspiring to explain AGW, I'd put it right up front not make a poor housewife beg to get it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Thanks rhoda - I had that one and the ones that can be found by a search. I had thought I remembered a more substantial one by rgb but it seems I had simply melded several in my mind.

The problem with posting your questions on BH is that the great majority of readers would make no claim to knowing the answer.

I'm interested to know - is it simply that the answers are not available or is it that they are embarrassing to The Cause in some way...

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

(contd).... I assume the former. One of the things that strikes me about climate science is the apparent unquestioning acceptance of things. I put it down to the background of many of its proponents - many of them come from former geography departments where rote learning is the normal mode. Rather than the 'work out how to derive this for yourself' scientific tradition. In the latter, missing steps in reasoning get highlighted. In the "say after me 'CO2 traps heat' " style of learning, missing logical steps tend to get glossed over.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Rhoda

The toa radiation budgets are known and measured. They are the outward long wave radiation and its counterpart, the downward long wave radiation (aka back radiation).

For a good introduction try Ira G!ickstein's article on Emission Spectra at WUWT.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:21 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Martin, are you thinking of The Global Climate Model clique feedback loop on 7th May? Brown makes some weighty points in comments there too.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Something of relevance here

http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.fr/2014/08/paper-finds-decrease-of-ir-radiation.html

which I've posted on unthreaded too.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

EM, thanks, that is a good introduction. Now I'm guessing the area under the line in the 15um region relates to the energy available? But not in just that way, because we are really talking about lines, not areas. How to convert the radiance units used into watts or something more meaningful to me? How to sort the CO2 fraction from the H2O?

And of course how to reconcile this with CO2 changes over time when the noise of the water signal must dominate? And distinguish cloud top radiation from that from GHGs?

And of course the time issue is covered by the paper Sandy points to..

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM | Registered Commenterrhoda

"when the noise of the water signal must dominate?"

I'm not sure I'd call it noise when it is the dominant effect. You would have to assume that variations in CO2 could influence the amount of H2O in the atmosphere (liquid or gas) so you couldn't really separate the two anyway even if you could measure the effect.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

Rhoda

That's right. The total area under the black body curve is proportional to the total energy flux. The area enclosed above the OLR line around 15 micrometres and below the black body curve is the proportion redirected by CO2. If you know the total outward radiation energy flux you can use the relative areas to calculate the relative energies. There are a few subtleties......

Spectral Radiance units are Watts per square metre per steradian per cm. A steradain is the area of a circle on the surface of a sphere which subtends an angle of one radian. As a rule of thumb, a steradians is about 1/10 of the surface area of a sphere.

Converting radiance to watts/m^2 at TOA is rather beyond my pay grade. I will think about it. Perhaps Nullis in verba can help.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Rob Burton

The general view is that higher CO2 leads to higher temperatures which lead to higher water vapour.

The higher water vapour leads to reduced direct outward radiation. However when you add in the effect of higher water vapour on cloud cover it gets more complex. More cloud of all types is expected.

High cloud has a net warming effect because it retains IR more than it increases albedo. Low cloud has a net cooling effect because its albedo is larger than its IR retention.

The exact overall effect? Consider it work in progress.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Entropic man
Any comment on this actual research rather than modelling? Researchers say that (I've highlighted the key word)

A trend analysis was applied to a 14-yr time series of downwelling spectral infrared radiance observations from the Atmospheric Emitted Radiance Interferometer (AERI) located at the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program (ARM) site in the U.S. Southern Great Plains. The highly accurate calibration of the AERI instrument, performed every 10 min, ensures that any statistically significant trend in the observed data over this time can be attributed to changes in the atmospheric properties and composition, and not to changes in the sensitivity or responsivity of the instrument. The measured infrared spectra, numbering more than 800 000, were classified as clear-sky, thin cloud, and thick cloud scenes using a neural network method. The AERI data record demonstrates that the downwelling infrared radiance is decreasing over this 14-yr period in the winter, summer, and autumn seasons but it is increasing in the spring; these trends are statistically significant and are primarily due to long-term change in the cloudiness above the site. The AERI data also show many statistically significant trends on annual, seasonal, and diurnal time scales, with different trend signatures identified in the separate scene classifications. Given the decadal time span of the dataset, effects from natural variability should be considered in drawing broader conclusions. Nevertheless, this dataset has high value owing to the ability to infer possible mechanisms for any trends from the observations themselves and to test the performance of climate models.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2011JCLI4210.1

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

"The general view is that higher CO2 leads to higher temperatures which lead to higher water vapour."

There is quite a bit of observational evidence that both cloud and water vapour dropped during the late 20th century when both CO2 and temperature were increasing. Reduced cloud would have warming tendencies too.

"The exact overall effect? Consider it work in progress."

I definitely agree with this summary.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

More cloud of all types is expected.
High cloud has a net warming effect because it retains IR more than it increases albedo. Low cloud has a net cooling effect because its albedo is larger than its IR retention.
The exact overall effect?
Why not start at least from the assumption that the net effect over time is likely to be near zero? Which would seem logical if, as you say, more cloud of all types is expected, though you would need to include some reason for that assumption.
Since the temperature variation of the earth's atmosphere appears (glaciations apart) to be no more than a couple of degrees over several thouand years some form of thermostat would make sense as a starting point. No?

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Mike Jackson

The logic of the increasing cloud hypothesis is fairly simple. A warmer atmosphere can hold a greater quantity of water vapour. Convect that atmosphere and as it rises and cools more water vapour condenses out and you get more low cloud.

Under more humid conditions such convective cooling also dumps more latent heat and drives the energetic convection which generates cumulonimbus clouds. These transport more water into the stratosphere, hence more high cloud.

This is still work in progress. Conventional wisdom was that the lower cloud would increase faster, making increased cloud cover a net cooling feedback. This was included in the CMIP5 models run in 2007.

Sherwood et al 2014 suggested that the extra water would transfer to higher altitudes, giving a greater proportion of high cloud and a net warming effect.

Monitoring cloud has given different results from different techniques, mainly due the difficulty of measuring multiple cloud layers from the surface or from orbit. Because of the large confidence limits it is not yet possible to deduce long term trends in different types of cloud cover from the data to date.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

I'm probably too late for this post, but I see many questions. I'll pick a few and add comments.

1. The spectrum of radiation at different heights - there are extracts from Grant Petty, A First Course in Atmospheric Radiation in Understanding Atmospheric Radiation and the “Greenhouse” Effect – Part Ten.

2. The thermalisation time is the order of nanoseconds. This is a simple physics basics problem - velocity of molecules given by the Maxwell–Boltzmann distribution and the density of molecules provides the mean free path.
The result is that energy from absorbed photons by water vapor, CO2, CH4 and other radiatively-active gases is shared with the local atmosphere, not scattered.

3. "And then there's the photons. Apparently they don't just get absorbed and re-emitted, they thermalize O2 and N2, they in turn energise other CO2 or H2O molecules, they get absorbed and re-emitted all the way up until they make their inevitable way out. Now, why does it matter if they do that a gazillion times or 1.5 gazillion. They leave the planet pretty quick either way. What gets warmed up more because of the extra density of CO2? All the energy leaves. It is an open system, there is nothing to stop it."

The calculation of radiative transfer doesn't track photons. If you want to understand radiative heat transfer don't think about photons - that's just my suggestion. But you don't see photon tracking in any of the equations. I know people trying to provide conceptual insight talk about photons. I believe it doesn't help.

The calculation of radiative transfer calculates emission and absorption through the atmosphere and relies upon knowing the temperature profile, the concentration profile of GHGs and the absorption and emission properties (which are well known with a few million absorption lines recorded in the HITRAN database).

What causes warming is less energy radiated from the climate system. Ein - Eout = energy stored. I can point you to the equation (eqn 16) in the link just provided and say "there you go", or give an analogy.

Analogies are problematic and can be criticized. So I'll just point you to the equation, which is from fundamental physics, and has been proven and accepted for 60+ years. Nobel prize winner Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar wrote the book in the 1950s.

4. "If you subscribe to the view that an unvalidated computer model is nothing more than an illustration of a hypothesis, you then have to conclude that the greenhouse effect is simply not understood. The absence of answers to rhoda's questions provides confirmation."

There are analogies and there are equations. Atmospheric physics textbooks give simple models to help the student learn. They probably weren't designed to help people who don't understand heat transfer and have a fundamental distrust of climate science. Anyway, people teaching are often not great at it.

If you want to gain insight into how "something" absorbing and re-radiating can increase the surface temperature of a body heated from inside - then there are simple shell models. If you want to know the physics, there's a set of equations. The real equations have nothing to do with blackbody shells. You can only solve these equations numerically. You can't get an analytic solution to the equation. That's true of most real world physics and engineering. The equations may be true but the solution requires a numerical approach.

This is not quite how most people think of "computer models". Instead, think of "computer models" as a hierarchy. They solve equations. Some equations are difficult to solve even with supercomputers - e.g., the ones involving turbulence. Some equations are simple to solve even if you can't calculate the results in your head. Like the equations of radiative transfer.

In the absence of feedbacks the calculation of radiative transfer and how it changes with more or less GHGs is a simple but computationally expensive task. I give some examples in Visualizing Atmospheric Radiation – Part Two and later parts in the series.

Calculating feedbacks is the difficult part.

5. "Scienceofdoom is simply a school teacher with an AGW bias and a strong copy and paste habit. I don't think I'd regard him as the guru that some seem to."

Fascinating. Which school did I teach at? What kind of skeptic are you to report this kind of invented information? However, I'm definitely not a guru. You are right about that. I'm a skeptic, therefore, there are no gurus. I try to understand climate science and explain and evaluate it. Opinions are useless.

What can be demonstrated from theory and experiment? This is the only thing that matters.

6. "What is this resistance to convection you talk about? IMHO most of the heat redistribution is happening in the tropics. There are massive vertical flows there every day. Transporting H20 in vapour form up to where it can dump latent heat way above the tropopause.
Why does the height of the radiative balance layer vary with co2 concentration? I though it was 5km because that's half way up the atmosphere, by mass. Or halfway up the troposphere, by coincidence or not. Why does more CO2 mean it isn't halfway any more? Or was the 50% pressure alt just a coincidence too.
"

Latent heat isn't generally dumped way above the tropopause. The tropopause is where convection stops. Water vapor condenses at a range of heights. The altitude of clouds gives these points away. Mostly well below the tropopause.

The height of radiative balance varies with CO2 concentration because emission of radiation depends on the opacity of the atmosphere. The 5km is an invented number - invented as a teaching tool. Averages are useful teaching tools.

The opacity of the atmosphere is completely - and strongly - dependent on wavelength. The atmosphere absorbs 95% of radiation in 1m at 14.98um so the important height is very high up in the stratosphere. Increasing the concentration will probably increase the emission by a tiny amount (because the stratospheric temperature increases with height). At a wavelength where the atmosphere absorbs 50% of radiation in 10km the important height is about 5km and a 10% change will move this effective height up a significant amount and reduce the temperature, and therefore, intensity, of emission. If the atmosphere absorbs 1% of radiation in 10km then the important height is about 100m and a 10% change won't have that much effect.

The sum of all these changes (the "integral") is what the radiative transfer equations calculate.

7. "Well done Martin, you have demonstrated that not one of those outfits can provide an explanation that stands examination. There is no trapped heat. Outgoing equals incoming, over time."

Explanations are people trying to turn equations into something conceptual. Some people do a good job. Some people do a bad job. Some people are given website access and don't even understand the basics.

Don't read stuff in the media, that's my advice.

"Outgoing equals incoming over time" - is 100% correct. The question - the important question - is what is the relationship of the surface temperature to the outgoing radiation. Trapped heat is (approximately) related to temperature. There's lots of trapped heat in lots of places. If there wasn't it would be very cold.

When some material property changes, the way that new equilibriums are formed is by changes in temperature. This is what you find when you have to solve first year heat transfer problems. If you make insulation thicker and have internal heating, then the temperature rises. That's trapped heat. Outgoing still equals incoming. But the outgoing heat is leaving from the outside of the insulation and it takes a higher temperature inside (when the insulation is thicker) to get the same outgoing heat transfer.

That was an analogy to the climate. Analogies don't prove anything. If it hasn't helped I can only apologize.

Refer to the equations.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM | Unregistered CommenterScience of Doom

I see my link to the equations of radiative transfer failed.

http://scienceofdoom.com/2011/02/07/understanding-atmospheric-radiation-and-the-%E2%80%9Cgreenhouse%E2%80%9D-effect-%E2%80%93-part-six-the-equations/

And trying to make a html link: Understanding Atmospheric Radiation and the “Greenhouse” Effect – Part Six – The Equations

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM | Unregistered CommenterScience of Doom

SoD thanks for the explanations. I wonder if you would clarify for me whther my earlier question was nuts or sensible. People here seem to think the former. The question was:

if at height h in the stratosphere the number of CO2 molecules per cubic meter is some nominal X, do you accept that after doubling the % CO2 in the atmosphere h will increase for the same X? It all hangs on this.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM | Unregistered Commenterraff

"It all hangs on this."

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM | Unregistered Commenterraff

Everything else being equal. Which it isn't. So it doesn't hang on that.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Raff

Yes. The number of CO2 molecules per unit volume at height h will double if atmospheric CO2 concentration doubles.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man