Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > That CO2 thing again..

RKS - Please do not refer to TBYJ in such terms. Even if you do not agree with him, it's very rude to say such things.

And I'd completely disagree that discussion with him is a waste of time and effort. He has a deep understanding of physics and his comments invariably convey valuable insight.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I understand that CO2 absorbs IR photons at two specific energies because the molecular bond has more than one allowable vibrational energy. These energy levels are quantised. The energy thus absorbed (in bond vibration) does not increase the kinetic energy of the molecule which means that the energy absorbed is not thermalized. Because of the quantised nature of the bond it can only relax to the ground state by emitting a quantum of energy at the same frequency as it absorbed it. Most atmospheric gases cannot absorb such quanta, so how is the absorbed energy thermalized in the atmosphere?
In a confined volume, the emitted IR will be thermalized at the walls of the containment, hence the measurement of fine line absorption in a spectrometer.
I am no expert in these matters so any correction/elucidation of the above understanding would be welcome!

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM | Unregistered Commenterronaldo

RKS - Please do not refer to TBYJ in such terms. Even if you do not agree with him, it's very rude to say such things.

And I'd completely disagree that discussion with him is a waste of time and effort. He has a deep understanding of physics and his comments invariably convey valuable insight.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A>>>>>

I was referring to Raff [who you had addressed the previous post to] but I think you know that! I'm sure TBYJ will be pleased by your opinion of him.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

I think Martin was being ironic, RKS.

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

I've seen plenty of perfectly rational argument that the radiative properties of gasses, such as CO2, have a net cooling effect by enabling rapid dispersal of heat throughout the atmosphere and thence to space via TOA. Although unproven by experimentation this is as valid as any other unvalidated hypothesis referred to in the thread. [is that an oxymoron?] :)

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

I think Martin was being ironic, RKS.

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames>>>>

Agreed :)

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

Ronaldo

I understand that CO2 absorbs IR photons at two specific energies because the molecular bond has more than one allowable vibrational energy. These energy levels are quantised. The energy thus absorbed (in bond vibration) does not increase the kinetic energy of the molecule which means that the energy absorbed is not thermalized.

You are right that here are two discrete 'vibration modes' when it comes to CO2 absorption (bond stretching and bond bending) which are quantised (i.e. there are only two narrow windows of energy at which they operate) but why do you think that absorbed vibrational energy doesn't increase the kinetic energy of the molecule?

Vibrational energy IS kinetic energy. The molecule IS thermalized, it's hotter after the collision.

It will shortly collide with diatomics (as it was doing every picosecond before the collision anyway) or other GHG molecules and within about 10 collisions (on average, at average temp and pressure) will have transferred that quantum of energy to another molecule - a vibration in a CO2 molecule bond can easily translate into a rotational, translational or vibrational energy in other molecules remember, they are not bound by the same vibrational modes as the CO2 is.

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Actually I think it's three frequencies: The O=C=O bending, the asymmetric stretching mode, and the more feeble symmetric stretch.

Someone has kindly put up a video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gimZlFY6I

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:07 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Symmetric stretch does not produce a change in dipole moment (in laymans terms, the central node must move) so is unable to absorb or emit IR photons.

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Fair enough. Mind you, I've also just learned a bit about Fermi resonance in CO2. I wonder how often that gets incorporporated in the GCMs?

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

It will shortly collide with diatomics (as it was doing every picosecond before the collision anyway) or other GHG molecules and within about 10 collisions (on average, at average temp and pressure) will have transferred that quantum of energy to another molecule - a vibration in a CO2 molecule bond can easily translate into a rotational, translational or vibrational energy in other molecules remember, they are not bound by the same vibrational modes as the CO2 is.
Aug 1, 2014 at 4:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Do they ever get the chance to re-radiate before getting rid of the energy by contact with another molecule? I suppose it doesn't matter.

What governs the time between a CO2 molecule absorbing a photon and then re-radiating a photon of the same wavelength? Since CO2 molecules don't have any time-recording device on board, presumably it has an exponential (memoryless) distribution. But what sets the average time to re-emit? I assume it is a property of the CO2 molecule and the wavelength involved? What's its value, roughly? picoseconds? nanoseconds? microseconds?

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:17 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin,

I remember reading that mean time to IR emission (relaxation time) is in the order of 10 microseconds, whereas in a fairly dense warm atmosphere, e.g. air at sea-level - kinetic collisions are in the order of 3 nanoseconds or so (not every collision results in a transfer of energy, though).

I would take from this that IR photon exchange at sea-level is a minor component of heat exchange. At the top of the atmosphere where density and temperature are lower and provide fewer collisions, the IR component becomes more likely and becomes the dominant means of heat exchange right at the edge of the atmosphere.

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

BY - thankyou. I remember trying to get to the bottom of it some time back but never did.

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM | Martin A

This must be well known from the lab. It must be important for the models to work out where the energy goes??

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

When I went out this afternoon I thought you were pulling my leg, but I see now I was confused. What I was thinking of as concentration, wasn't, or not in the sense of ppm (the units should have alerted me but didn't). I was thinking in terms of number of CO2 molecules per unit volume.

So I'll restate what I said to be what I meant:

Rhoda, if at height h in the stratosphere the number of CO2 molecules per cubic meter is some nominal X, do you accept that after doubling the % CO2 in the atmosphere h will increase for the same X? It all hangs on this.

On metaphors, have you never used metaphors to describe concepts to those who do not have the necessary domain knowledge to understand a full explanation (for example). You would be unusual I think. Your mice show that you like metaphor. Why would explanations without metaphor be so superior to those with metaphor when explaining a concept for which years of training are necessary to come close to understanding?

On those vibrational modes and discrete energies, how do they relate to the "almost 315,000 individual absorption lines for CO2 recorded in the HITRAN database" mentioned by SoD? Maybe those are all minor compared to the two modes mentioned, but they are all discrete energies. What do they correspond to physicaly?.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Raff - I'd say I like analogies, rather than metaphors. With an analogy, you can explain something in familiar terms but the where correspondence is pretty well exact so that the equations are the same, only the units differ. So you are not bullshitting someone by describing something whose behaviour is different from the thing you are trying to explain.

There are people around much better equipped than me to explain the absorption spectrum of CO2. But...

"What do they correspond to physically?". Each spectral line corresponds to a change of energy of the molecule between one allowed level and another allowed level. Because of quantum effects, only certain energy levels are possible - so the spectrum consists of discrete lines. - not a continuum.

There are different allowed electron energy levels for the outer electrons of the atoms in the molecule.

Plus there are the different vibration modes (discussed above), each of which has allowed energy levels.

In addition (I think) for CO2 there are also combined vibration/rotation modes also with permitted energy levels.

Multiply all these together and the total number of permitted energy levels, when you have simlutaneous vibrations in different modes and excited electrons, becomes large. Then transitions (corresponding to absorption/transmission wavelengths) are permitted between every pair of such energy levels. So you have all the possible differences between a large number of energy levels.

So I think that's how you can finish up with a lot of absorption/transmisson spectral lines.

[If the above is bollocks, please point that out someone. It's late here.]

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

TBYJ
Thank you for your reply. However I don't see how an increase in the bond energy within the molecule contributes to the kinetic energy of the molecule. Is not the absorbed photon energy held as elastic energy until the bond relaxes to its ground state by emitting a photon of electromagnetic energy? Is there any experimental evidence for thermalisation in an open system like the atmosphere? I am genuinely puzzled and ask for my further education.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:23 AM | Unregistered Commenterronaldo

I'm sure someone will tell me there is a world of difference but metaphor/analogy are such similar words that I see no way of saying metaphor bad, analogy good. Neither can I say for sure whether trapping heat is a metaphor or an analogy. When it comes to explaining science or computing etc to my grandmother analogies are essential aids. They do distort the true meaning but that is inevitable. The general population is, educationally, my grandmother. So trapping heat like a blanket is wholly appropriate. That is why people, even sceptics, use it.

I had the same understanding of energy levels etc as you but found the large number surprising. Sure, permutation can grow hugely but that assumes that a molecule can go between any two states. The large number implies maybe it can.

Does my question to Rhoda make more sense now?

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

"However I don't see how an increase in the bond energy within the molecule contributes to the kinetic energy of the molecule."

Consider what happens when two molecules, either or both of them spinning and bucking and bouncing like wild things, bump into one another. What happens?

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

Ronaldo, it's a good question

"However I don't see how an increase in the bond energy within the molecule contributes to the kinetic energy of the molecule."

and NiV gave a good answer. Without going into statistical mechanics and thermodynamics you just need to think about large numbers of molecules and the fact that the internal energy of a molecule consists of translational, vibrational, rotational and electronic components. Whilst the quantum levels for these different energy components are very far apart (electronic > vibrational > rotational > translational) conversion between them is possible. You do this experiment every day when you boil the water in a saucepan. The energy required to raise the temperature of the metal of the saucepan is very much less than that to raise the temperature of the water. This is because the specific heat capacity of the water is very much greater than it is for the metal in your saucepan. Yet if you think about it the translational kinetic energy of the atoms in the saucepan is the same as the water (3/2kT). So why all the extra energy to heat the water? It's because it is being converted into internal energy (largely vibrational and rotational) of the water molecule.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

So NIV - it's a before and after.

Before - the energy is internal to the molecule(s) with the masses of the atoms oscillating against the springs of the valence bonds. The molecules also have some kinetic energy whose mean value depends on the ambient temperature and which was not changed when one or both of them intercepted the photon(s) which set them vibrating.

After the collision it has (possibly, possibly not) changed to unquantised kinetic energy shared in some random fashion between the two molecules.

If that's right, then I'd agree with how ronaldo posed it. But, as BYIJ said, the conversion to kinetic happens very soon - the excited molecule does not get the chance to hang around very long in its excited state.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:26 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A if the vibrational state relaxes to a translational one then the temperature increases, yes. See my answer above because it's easier to think about these things in terms of large ensembles of molecules. Also the translational energy is quantised. The levels are so close together however it looks continuous.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

PD - thanks for that.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

"What governs the time between a CO2 molecule absorbing a photon and then re-radiating a photon of the same wavelength? Since CO2 molecules don't have any time-recording device on board, presumably it has an exponential (memoryless) distribution. But what sets the average time to re-emit?"

It involves calculations with quantum wavefunctions and is possibly a bit complicated for pop-science explanations. But out of interest, you might want to look up Fermi's Golden Rule.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/fermi.html

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterNullius in Verba

Paul Dennis

Thanks, but I don't think that heating a mass of water by thermal conduction in a pan is much of an analogy for shining electromagnetic radiation onto CO2. I accept that the specific heat capacity of water is greater than the metallic pan, but the mass of the water, the heat transfer properties of the water/pan interface the heat losses from the water due to vapour pressure increases and evaporation before the boiling point is reached will have a much greater influence on the rate of heating.
Reverting to CO2, I am still not clear that thermalisation can take place in a non-bounded system and would love to see the experimental evidence for this.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM | Unregistered Commenterronaldo