Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > An invitation to BH Regulars to tear apart my beliefes about CO2

Richard

I think I said this somewhere already but I am interested in the truth far more than I am interested in influencing others who read this thread. If you have not discovered the truth then what do you influence people with?

May 12, 2014 at 9:52 PM | Registered CommenterDung

OK DUNG.

What did you think of my idea of analysing a suddenly CO2-free atmosphere to see what temperature it would stabilise at.

Was that relevant to your original question?

May 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Dung "but I am interested in the truth far more than I am interested in influencing others", so you're prepared to wait as long as it takes for the truth to come out (no matter what it is) and you don't care how much is wasted in the name of CAGW in the interim?

May 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Tiny CO2

Anyone who thinks current knowledge of our climate is capable of providing answers is living in cloud cuckoo land :)
People spout the latest theories and assume they have some relevance but they do not.
The most honest and useful way forward for society would be to accept that we do not know WTF is going on and so put our faith in adaptation.
However the reality is that we are faced with a widely accepted dogma that we all know is flawed and we must somehow undermine this dogma.
In the absence of reliable science surely theories which are backed by empirical evidence are the best that we have got?
The ice core records are physical records, they are truth however interpretation is everything.
The raw data from the ice cores indicates that temperature rises before CO2 levels. Interpretation (using our current scientific knowledge) does not change the basic conclusion. The science may ultimately show that the raw data is not a good guide but that is not yet the case.
We have two options:
Pursue the truth which is that we basically know diddly squat about climate and should rely on adaptation.

Go with the best evidence based knowledge that we have which shows that CO2 never caused warming in 700,000 years.

May 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM | Registered CommenterDung

May 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

I care massively about sorting this question right now! However basing our arguments on ignoring the truth is likely to destroy our chance of winning the argument for a long time.

May 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM | Registered CommenterDung

May 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM | Registered Commenter Martin A

Martin I would be lying if I said I could follow or comment on the science involved in your idea sorry :(

May 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM | Registered CommenterDung

OK. I'll try to explain it like this. As I understand it, you are interested in what effect very high levels of CO2 would have, and you have a hypothesis that high levels would have not much effect. Did I understand that point?

If so, then my idea is as follows:

- It might be possible to work out quite simply what would be the temperature if there were NO CO2 (with all sorts of assumptions and approximations)

- If that was not much different from today's temp, it would tell us that CO2 does not have much effect when reduced to zero. At very least this would suggest that going in the other direction may not have much effect either.

May 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Carbon dioxide GHG warming is well known, even if it is still just a hypothesis. The spiral of warming - more evaporation - more GHG water vapour - more warming - more evaporation - more water vapour, etc is the real killer that was the source of the alarmist tipping point and put the C in CAGW.

The catastrophic warming is not mentioned today. It didn't happen and clearly will not happen, but although it never gets mentioned, its existence and discussion about its disappearance never gets mentioned either. What is wrong with water vapour positive feedback? It is still there as part of the threat, the fear factor, but it has gone as a tipping point. Why does it not appear on alarmist agendas any more?

It still figures in the climate models in a big way. It is the global warming demon whose name we must not mention. It is the cause of the hot spot that has never been found. It is the middle troposphere increase in humidity that has never been found either. It is still the temperature multiplier in climate models that drives policymaking by government.

May 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterSchrodinger's Cat

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/abrupt/images/data2-dome-fuji-lg.gif

When you look at the ice cores, what makes you think the CO2 effect has reached a maximum? It’s not obvious why an interglacial happens at some points where the insolation spikes but not others or why the CO2 levels rise higher sometimes than others. It certainly seems like CO2 levels delay a sharp fall but it might be something else. What else is going on? What turns a small insolation nudge into a meteoric temperature rise?

Yes, climate is clearly very complicated, so why do you think you can see what those who make it their life’s work can’t? I certainly can’t work it out but I can find flaws with procedure, solutions and the politics of CAGW. I don’t have to discover the truth about climate to start demanding changes to policy. I don’t need to explain the science in detail to others to persuade them they should be sceptical too. One of the key failure for warmists is their inability to nail the science. They fall back on consensus. We don’t need to supply an alternative ‘truth’ to point out the flaws in theirs.

May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

May 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM | Dung
That's what happens on the Interweb, things take a life of their own.

The recent deviation of this discussion has raised an interesting point for me, as Martin A says the catastrophe theory requires a water +ve feed back; as you say increasing CO2 content has always followed increasing temperature.. As far as I'm aware the properties of both H2O and CO2 haven't changed recently (in the last 10,000 years) and the atmospheric mix of gases is roughly the same as it has been for the recent past. That leads to the conclusion that whatever the process is in terms of feedback, +ve.-ve or none, it doesn't fit with the CAGW theory. It is also true that this warm period is no different to previous ones in this inter-glacial, its no warmer, various parts of the globe have warmed at different rates some have even cooled (can't remember where I read that), a fact which is used to "prove" that the MWP wasn't global. So this discussion has added to the logical arguments against the CAGW supporters.

Thanks for kicking it off, it's been interesting.

May 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

SandyS: I'd say the climate data we have is far too sparse and CAGW doesn't fit any of it. Notably, why so little warming since 1850, why the earth has remained in such a narrow band of temperature for four billion years, with some liquid water at all times, why no radical departure to the very cold under the early faint sun, and why the sudden transitions to and from ice ages (as TinyCO2 has written about). Richard Lindzen has sarcastically said he prefers to be called a climate denier than a sceptic, because saying you're sceptical implies something coherent about which you have doubts. But there's never been anything coherent there at all. What's wrong is to restrict ourselves to one piece of evidence. None of it fits, once we realise the GCMs are the disaster area RG Brown made clear recently on WUWT (and before him Christopher Essex). It should have been game over in 1988, as Essex knew having tried to program GCMs from about ten years before that. That it's not been is all to do the cultic aspects of CAGW, as Guenier calls them. Nothing to do with science and certainly nothing to do with economics and concern for the poor.

May 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

"the GCMs are the disaster area RG Brown made clear recently

*Any* unvalidated computer model has to be considered a disaster area. GCMs and other climate models have never been validated (Met Office bollocks about how they can reproduce the history used to construct them notwitstanding). RGB gave some detail but the gist of what he said should not have been news to anyone.

"To project changes in climate, research
centres use computer models which
simulate the Earth’s climate system
using the laws of physics and our
current understanding of the ocean
and atmosphere. The models are
evaluated by comparing them to past
climate, past trends and the ability to
reproduce particular types of extreme
seasons, giving confidence in the models
and our understanding of the physics
and chemistry of global warming."

Met Office: The changing climate: past changes and future projections September 2013

May 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

May 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM | Registered Commenter Richard Drake

Rchard that is the best post I have ever seen from you, and yes I am biased hehe

May 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM | Registered CommenterDung

May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

1) Short term objective is preventing the lunatics who are hell bent on wrecking western economies.

2) Long term objective is finding the truth about what happens and later; exactly why it happens.

I have simply said that lies have no part in either.
I think that the fastest route to 1) is to show that today's scientists simply do not know enough to make predictions about future climate and like you I think part of that is highlighting their errors. Finding fault with the warmists is also finding truth. Earlier people were saying (effectively): do not rock our boat by saying you do not believe CO2 causes global warming. like Rhoda I do not want to gain victory by lying about it.

May 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM | Registered CommenterDung

May 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM | Registered Commenter Martin A

I am a failure Martin; I do not have the skill to do what you suggest or even to comment on it. However what I think is that if there is a 'saturation level' above which CO2 has no warming effect then there should be some signs that we can see in empirical evidence and the interglacials seem to me to show that effect.
I got here by reading some of Lindzen's ideas and even by reading in an earlier IPCC report that the effect of CO2 is logarithmic. If it IS logarithmic then there must be a saturation point.

May 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Dung - don't get me wrong. I was not suggesting that you do that analysis but that someone well clued up in modelling things using differential equations might do it.

For some time I tried to track down where the "CO2 has logarithmic effect" came from. Results like that normally have an analytic derivation and you can get lots of insight by understanding hw it was derived. In the end, I was pointed to the paper by Huhne (?) et al.

Very disappointing. The log curve is there simply because it is not a bad fit to the numerical results their modelling program gave them. Not because it dropped out of a mathematical derivation. Someone (Steve McIntyre perhaps) pointed out that a square-root curve would have fitted the results just about as well.

So it's only a log curve over the range of their results. If you went far above or far below the range they computed, who knows what the results would be. Note, as normal in climate models, their results have not been validated so far as I could tell, which adds more hocus-pocus to the 'log curve' story.

May 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

A word about saturation. Harries et al 2001 shows with some difficulty a change in the larger absorption band of CO2 over time but no change in the minor band. With a lot of caveats, that might show saturation. It needs chasing up. More measurements need to be taken, consistently over time. Unfortunately there isn't a continuous satellite record from one bird over sufficient time. Suspicious old me wonders whether the researchers really want to go there.

(I could have this all wrong, I'm the only person who seems to have noticed the effect.)

May 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Dung, you want the freedom to influence the debate by expressing your theories but object to others doing the same by removing some of your comments when they interfere with what they are trying to say?

You may think CO2 is not having an effect but you don't KNOW it's not. I won't try to tell you that your theory is wrong but I will say you've not offered any evidence to back it up. If there's one thing I have little time for any more it's theories, and yes, I'm guilty too ;-) It's not lying to keep theories to yourself, it's only lying if you withold facts. That's what irks us about warmists, it's all wild theories and edited facts.

May 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

"Suspicious old me wonders whether the researchers really want to go there."

You are not alone rhoda. I've had this paper quoted to me by Simon Singh and Richard Betts as the go-to definitive paper proving CO2 causes global warming, but it is 13 years old now, and the research probably a lot older. Why hasn't someone else driven the nail in the coffin? Why hasn't Harries followed up himself? Their could be a lot more citations for him in it.

Dung the truth is sacrosanct, but it isn't possible to tell it all the time. People who do tend to be lacking a feedback loop, if you want to get into an argument about CO2 not being a GHG fine, but you're wasting your time. That's why the politically experienced and astute, Nigel Lawson, starts out by explicitly stating he doesn't reject the science, it is more important to fight the political actions because that's where the damage is done.

What do you say when your wife asks if her "bum looks too big in these jeans"?

May 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Dung, to give you an idea about the size of the problem here's a quote from Don Easterbrook, sceptical scientist, at WUWT:

"That’s not the question—it’s not if CO2 is a greenhouse gas, it’s how much is there in the atmosphere (Fig. 3) and how much can it affect climate?"

Just stand back for a minute and think about it. Do you really want to be arguing with people who support your view that there is little danger, or "risk" ( mot du jour) arising from the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere?

May 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

OK Martin, as others will not play I will try to answer your question "what would happen if all of the CO2 in the atmosphere was teleported to a star far, far away" with a wildass guess:

If I am correct that the temperatures of the arid deserts (relatively unaffected by water vapour and clouds) over the diurnal cycle have not altered during the instrumental record, while atmospheric CO2 has supposedly increased by 40%, we can deduce that either the radiative effect of CO2 has saturated, or that conduction and convection dominate, or possibly both, so.....

I would expect diurnal surface temperatures across the planet to be virtually unaffected apart from deserts, which would become marginally hotter by day and colder by night. The effect on the average surface temperature of the planet would be negligible.

But I admit, a wildass guess....

May 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM | Unregistered CommenterRoger Longstaff

Roger - that would be my own wildass guess also.

That would then lead to another question: If all CO2 could be magicked out of the atmosphere and the oceans could be instantly cooled to (say) -100°C* by instantly teleporting the heat in them to Pluto, would the Sun's radiation eventually restore the earth's surface conditions to more or less what they are now?

Or would the fact that more or less all the moisure had dropped out of the atmosphere, together with the absence of CO2, mean that the consequent absence of greenhouse effect mean that the Earth would remain in its frozen state?

If so, would the restoration of the CO2 then enable the Earth's temperature then to climb back to normal?

I wonder if these are questions that 'climate science' has answered. I'd have imagined they would be dealt with routinely in texts discussing the greenhouse effect but I have my doubts. I'll have a rummage in the books on my shelf and see if they say anything on the matter.

*Above the boiling point of liquid air, so that the gaseous O2 + N2 atmosphere would remain there.

May 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin, as I understand it CO2 absorbs OLR in the 4 and 15micron radiation frequencies, and mostly in the 15 micron, while water vapour absorbs, more extensively in the 20 to 70 micron radiation frequencies. I don't have a clue what that means in terms of w/m^2 I can't say what that means in terms of temperatrue, except that absorbing OLR in a range 50 times that of CO2 looks like CO2 represents a small proportion of the GHG effect.

Of course I haven't the knowledge, or abilities of the cli scis, but if they were applying to me for funding (where I have some experience) to prove that CO2 was a major driver of global warming, I'd kick them into touch until they'd some testable empirical evidence.

May 14, 2014 at 8:38 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

"...would the Sun's radiation eventually restore the earth's surface conditions to more or less what they are now?"

Yes, if insolation was constant the system must return to steady state, or diurnal thermodynamic equilibrium (energy in = energy out). The gas laws (PV = nRT) would apply, and the Earth system must return to minimum entropy production.

But the problem with these hypothetical considerations is that they are physically impossible in the first place, therefore, returning to the original question I would ask:

If I am correct that the temperatures of the arid deserts (largely unaffected by water vapour and clouds) over the diurnal cycle have not altered during the instrumental record, while atmospheric CO2 has supposedly increased by 40%, can we deduce that either the radiative effect of CO2 has saturated, or that conduction and convection dominate? And that either one, or a combination of both effects show that the CAGW hypothesis is flawed?

May 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM | Unregistered CommenterRoger Longstaff

Roger Longstaff

You may be mistaken in thinking that no desert warming has taken place.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/230734867_Recent_trends_of_temperature_change_under_hot_and_cold_desert_climatesComparing_the_Sahara_(Libya)_and_Central_Asia_(Xinjiang_China)

The data is paywalled, but this is the abstract.

sets are now available from continental Africa through which past variations in temperature can be assessed. This paper, co-authored by members of the PAGES Africa2k Working Group, synthesises published material to produce a record of temperature variability for Africa as a whole spanning the last 2000 years. The paper focuses on temperature variability during the ‘Medieval Climate Anomaly’ (MCA), ‘Little Ice Age’ (LIA) and late 19th–early 21st centuries. Warmer conditions during the MCA are evident in records from Lake Tanganyika in central Africa, the Ethiopian Highlands in northeastern Africa, and Cango Cave, the Kuiseb River and Wonderkrater in southern Africa. Other records covering the MCA give ambiguous signals. Warming appears to have been greater during the early MCA (c. AD 1000) in parts of southern Africa and during the later MCA (from AD 1100) in Namibia, Ethiopia and at Lake Tanganyika. LIA cooling is evident in Ethiopian and southern African pollen records and in organic biomarker data from Lake Malawi in southeastern tropical Africa, while at Lake Tanganyika the temperature depression appears to have been less consistent. A warming trend in mean annual temperatures is clearly evident from historical and instrumental data covering the late 19th to early 21st centuries. General warming has occurred over Africa since the 1880s punctuated only by a period of cooling in the mid 20th century. The rate of temperature increase appears to have accelerated towards the end of the 20th century. The few long high-resolution proxy records that extend into the late 20th century indicate that average annual temperatures were 1–2°C higher in the last few decades than during the MCA.

Note particularly the last three sentences discussing the modern temperatures.

May 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man