Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Hall of Fame, Bishop Hill (comments)

This thread is meant purely for fun. In noting just now that a comment should be in the BH "Hall of Fame" it then occurred to me that we don't have such a creature (so far as I know).

So if our host is amenable my idea is simply to have this discussion thread as a place where we can paste favorite comments.

I prefer to keep this light and fun, so I suggest (if anyone cares ha ha) that this thread mainly be for "likes" without much debate, I.e., rather than tell someone else that they are a fool to praise some particular comment, simply nominate one's own preferred favorites in reply.

Substantive debates can be left to the original threads on which comments appeared. I have some preference for collecting pithy and/or witty remarks, but any comment of quality is welcome here. Of course opinions may vary widely, especially where alleged humor is involved.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM | Registered CommenterSkiphil

Here's one that inspired this thread.... I don't have any list in mind.... I will need to review threads and hazy memories to come up with more nominees, so all assistance is welcome!

"What if a new technology makes wind power redundant ?"

I think existing technologies do that.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM | not banned yet

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM | Registered CommenterSkiphil

May I contribute TinyCO2's definition of wind turbines:

huge white elephants standing guard over cavernous money pits

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Here's my favourite.

"Apr 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM | Buck

Can someone point me to the model which predicted no statistically significant warming over the last 15 years?

Sure - the Met Office model did- or at least, it was within the uncertainty range even if it was not the central estimate.

Cheers

Richard
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM Richard Betts"

Original here.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Every year climate science seems to get less sure until I want to shout 'Just vanish back into obscurity until you've got a handle on this mess! Go on, go to your room and don't come out till your predictions last longer than it takes the ink to dry on them.'

Jun 29, 2013 TinyCO2
Comment on a Discussion

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM | Registered CommenterJohn Shade

Don't confuse the UAE and the UEA.

One is a dysfunctional autocratic place where backward-looking religious views dominate. The other is a country in the middle east.

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM | Jack Hughes

http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2010/9/10/more-oxburgh-reaction.html#item9690922

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM | Unregistered CommenterSara Chan

OK, as there's no rec system I'l give geronimo a shout from the Warming thread page 10:

but keep in mind any scientist worth his salt doesn't want you to believe him, he wants you to try to prove him wrong, while he looks on smugly watching you fail.

Compare and contrast P. Jones climategate quote about proving him wrong.

I've also just watched this related TED video:

Margaret Heffernan

The problem seems to be when those trying to prove you wrong don't fail!

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM | Registered CommenterSimonW

Only someone who fears/knows they may be wrong would be scared of someone attempting it.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

A much used aphorism:
Many people will often forgive you for being wrong before they will forgive you for being right.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

A gentleman of this blog recently said:

"@entropic

Unlike you to have missed the point by such a huge margin and put both feet in your mouth."

I give you Mr Latimer Alder and you can argue with him if you dare ^.^

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM | Registered CommenterDung

A Rising Tide of Controversy comment on supposedly rising sea levels

Just checked our local ocean and the water still only comes half-way up a duck

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM | Unregistered Commenter Jack Hughes

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM | Unregistered CommenterMessenger

"I'm appalled by the general spinelessness displayed on this thread."

Hey, invertebrates are people too! :)

Seriously, what specifically are you referring to?
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM johanna

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

".....If you’re wondering who I am, then you can find me at the Physics Department at Oxford University.”
Feb 23, 2011 at 10:29 PM | Jonathan Jones

________
The whole comment is worth a read, reproduced here:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/02/25/currys-2000-comment-question-can-anyone-defend-%E2%80%9Chide-the-decline%E2%80%9D/

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Woods

Quote of the week for me here (in bold):

Sir Paul seems late to notice there is an isomorphism between a person's political stance and their position in the "climate debate". This seems a pretty banal observation to me (albeit Professor Lewandowsy scrapes a living out of it). It is a political debate carried via the bizarre proxy of atmospheric physics. Sir Paul knows very little about either topic, but is having to discover that politics is a lot more malleable than physics.

Thank you alan kennedy.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

Hector I am about to trump your quote of the week ^.^

from the same thread:

That Paul Nurse - he's a nice enough bloke - but you wouldn't want to breed from him.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Reed

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM | Registered CommenterDung

This week's contender for Quote of the Week. Omnologos!

What makes climate alarmism so special that mostly if not only clowns get to the top?

And he gets the bonus bottle of champagne for doing it in a forrin language. :)

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

"second hand market"

Anyone want a s/h Leaf - 'battery still holding some charge'..?

Thought not.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM | Registered Commenterjamesp

C'mon c'mon. Let's celebrate taking the pith. At Christmas we can hold a vote for the pithiest. Prize: a bottle of lukewarm BlueNun. :-)

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

Hector Pascal

Nooooooooooooes! At Christmas we should have a grand presentation ceremony and all get pithed!

That reminds me of something posted on another blog:

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without having to hold on.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM | Registered CommenterDung

40 years ago, we dodged the thundery showers through the occasion. Today, we will dodge the thundery showers to celebrate our life together. Climate Change? what Climate Change?
Aug 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM | Kevin Lohse

It rained on one day in one small country, therefore the whole world is not on a long term warming trend.

Do you people ever stop to consider why you're such a laughing stock?
Aug 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM Unregistered Robot-Like Commenter
______________________________________________________________________________________
Oh dear, oh dear. Someone seems to have lost their sense of humour:

" " 40 years ago, we dodged the thundery showers through the occasion. Today, we will dodge the thundery showers to celebrate our life together. Climate Change? what Climate Change?
Aug 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM | Kevin Lohse
It rained on one day in one small country, therefore the whole world is not on a long term warming trend.
Do you people ever stop to consider why you're such a laughing stock? "

Maybe it's hiding in the deep ocean, along with climate science's integrity?
Aug 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM mikeh
_________________________________________________________________________________

"Maybe it's hiding in the deep ocean, along with climate science's integrity?"
Aug 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM | mikeh

Are you able to understand that your comment is nonsensical?
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM Unregistered Robot-Like Commenter

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

It's a shame in a way that Andrew didn't leave up that series of exchanges with the Robot where it evidently took my (admittedly not very good) parody that began "Just because there has been no change in the climate doesn't mean there has been no climate change" literally — and just after I'd said that robots were not programmed with a sense of humour!
If ever there was near-irrefutable evidence that the Truro Troll is a cretin that must have been it!

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Time to interject my usual claim that the concept of CS is still to be confirmed. I've repeatedly asked for justification, never had a reply. Maybe it's a stupid claim unworthy of answer, but OK, just tell me so, I can take being called stupid.

Second, any figure this lot or any other comes up with is solely the outcome of their assumptions. It is just an exercise in reverse curve-fitting. Take away everything you think you know and whatever is left is the climate sensitivity to CO2. Except it isn't, it is merely the arithmetic total of the unknown unknowns. Routed through a couple of models and a bayesian algorithm. Nonsense on stilts with elevator heels.
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM rhoda

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

(...)
I really don't need to understand the science that well - I can tell the injured fish by the thrashing about, and (robot-like troll commenter) is an ideologically blinded fish in a tank full of intellectual sharks. Do these people really not know how they come off?
Aug 15, 2013 at 4:56 AM tomdesabla

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I would suggest not polluting the genuine funnies here with the robot's comments.... they're funny for a completely different reason....a new thread just for Robotnikisms?

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

cosmic wrote:

"I'd buy anything Joanna Lumley told me to.
Nigella Lawson fondling the highs over Iceland and Finland and letting her hands stray to carressing the mounting Spanish Plume would be more than flesh and blood could stand."

A few years back I would have paid money to see Charlotte rampling.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM | Dave Bob

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM | Registered CommenterPharos

Did Charlotte ever rample on film?

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Reed