Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Hall of Fame, Bishop Hill (comments)

In response to the Lancet report 23062015

"We're probably all going to die."

I was under the apparently mistaken impression that death was, well, dead certain. But thanks to unfettered spewing of carbon pollution, peer-reviewed science has removed dead certainty and replaced it with "probably."

This. Is. Awesome. News.
Jun 23, 2015 at 2:31 PM | Unregistered Commenter chris y

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM | Registered CommenterDung

From "Seen Elsewhere" 23062015

ex BBC News boss Roger Mosey gives away BBC secrets:

A BBC2 Timewatch documentary about the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879 revealed the Corporation's bias clearly.

"We were spun a tale of tea-sipping toffs versus noble warriors. We learned that the Zulus' disembowelling of British corpses was only an 'apparent atrocity' because it was intended to release the spirits of the dead."

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM | Registered CommenterDung

“kayaktivists. all of them sitting in 'plastic tubs' only possible thanks to the 'evil oil industry. now how is that for irony .”

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:04 PM | knr – Greens trashing the environment part 624

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:26 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Pharos on the 'Science says one thing thread' Jul 4, 2015 at 8:27 PM

That last sentence is a belter.

"The confirmation bias in the DNA of todays climate researcher seizes upon atmospheric carbon as the guilty culprit for raising temperatures and wiping out the bottom dwelling forams. Hence they invoke complex chain reactions such as speculative tipping points involving sudden release of carbon from frozen seabed methane hydrates. But what about a massive release of direct geothermal heat? A sudden effusion of new basaltic sea floor introduces a huge direct heat source, akin to switching on the element in the bottom of a giant electric kettle. If you were a benthonic foram, you would do well to leg it out of there as fast as your little unicellular pseudopodia can carry you faced with living on red hot magma and boiling water."

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM | Unregistered CommenterJoe Ronan

@JR but to me his first sentence was the GREAT point
"The beauty of scepticism allows an impartial scientist to approach a problem without predisposed bias.
He can as a first pass use the logic of Occams Razor."

ie Climate Religion followers are so wedded to blaming CO2 , they routinely ignore simpler explanations.
e.g. a part of the ocean got suddenly HOT due to VOLCANIC activity. That HEAT is the best simple explanation
- Yet some sci-activists rush in their confirmation bias, to pin the blame on CO2, but have to come up with long contorted methodology to make that fit.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:55 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Golf Charles excelled himself today ^.^

If you laid all the Met Office's climate scientists end to end, they would all point in the same direction.
Jul 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

jamesp, in a recent survey, 8 out of 10 cats said they preferred Met Office records and forecasts, as they smelled more fishy.
Jul 7, 2015 at 2:45 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Cheshirered, remember it was all due to global warming, until it was realised the globe was not warming, so it was renamed climate change in the hope no one would notice.

By doubling the height and width of a barn door, you quadruple the size of the target to be hit with a blunderbuss. Precision and accuracy are no longer required at all.

Whole squadrons of flying pigs are fed and ready for take off, from the Met Office at the merest hint of a drop in taxpayer funding
Jul 7, 2015 at 1:00 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Paul Homewood (and Booker) have last week's 'hottest (July) day evah!' nicely summarised here.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:15 PM | Registered CommenterDung

....Historically it's a well trodden path in the propaganda game that if nothing else is driving people to distraction and blurring the issues - which for Nurse and the crew is absolutely what was intended. I earnestly hope it explodes in their faces - the tactic is both cowardly and deliberately divisive and I think it's fairly safe to say will dilute respect for a learned institution to homeopathic levels.
Jul 11, 2015 at 11:56 AM tomo

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:09 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

On the WUWT thread on Josh's cartoon here at BH was this quote

Billy Liar
July 13, 2015 at 5:02 pm

In 2013 Fergus was a research assistant in the LSE’s Department of Philosophy, Logic & Scientific Method …

He wasted his time there then!

http://www.lse.ac.uk/GranthamInstitute/profile/fergus-green/

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:04 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Jonathan Jones (@nmrqip) | August 13, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Reply

One of the reasons I have never accused Mann of fraud is that it is perfectly possible that he is quite simply stupid, His behaviour in this law suit broadly supports that view,

http://judithcurry.com/2015/08/13/mark-steyns-new-book-on-michael-mann/#comment-724416

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Woods

Golf Charles is at it again:

Couldn't redundant DECC staff be put to better use by manually sorting the shingle on Brighton Beach into colour coordinated stripes? At least after 8 (?) years there would be something to show for the wasted money, even if it was pointless.

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:09 PM | Unregistered Commenter golf Charlie

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:43 PM | Registered CommenterDung

[Arctic ice] is a very variable, volatile measure liable to bite the hand that tries to feed off it.
From John Shade, 26/8/15
I do like that twist on a well-worn cliché, John.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:49 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

With a few million years of evolution and development, nuclear powered mammoths could replace cars for short journeys. Longer journeys would still require more comfortable seating, but the flexible air intake would make flooded roads passable.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:59 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:34 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I bet the danger money for the employee who inserts the fuel rods into an indignant mammoth runabout is good.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

So how long will it be before the chattering classes admit that the only rational response to bad science is to be sceptical - and not to just jump on the first anti-industry, anti-human, anti-capitalist bandwagon that comes along?
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:48 AM | JamesG

(Wish I had noted what thread it is on.)

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

At the bottom of page 1 of this thread — and going back over two years — Alan Reed asked, "but did Charlotte ever rample on film?"
Now I don't know what Alan meant exactly by "rample" but perhaps he might care to look at her latest movie, "45 Years".
Would that count as "rampling", I wonder?

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:40 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

The entire bandwagon of manmade warming rests on the facile pretence that natural variation can be ruled out because the climate charlatans cannot ascribe a cause for it but whenever their doom and gloom scenarios are contradicted by reality they suddenly find some natural variability of unknown cause to excuse their inadequacy and then say 'but it is set to reverse with global warming'. It is like arguing with children.
Sep 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM | Unregistered CommenterJamesG

And there you have it!

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Mike J,

I can barely manage a single entendre. Pharos started that silliness while I was half-way through Kipling.
If there is any rampling in "45 Years" I won't know where to look for the best.

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Reed

I can't help you there, Alan. I've never kippled.

I'l get my coat.

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:33 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

From the thread about the correct name for sceptics/skeptics/deniers etc etc :

"
The International Porkpie Consumption Company has noticed a total failure of sales to rise. They tried producing bigger Porkpies, different recipes for their Porkpies, disguising their Porkpies as something else, and even promoting their Porkpies as the solution for the Worlds problems. But despite extensive marketing, Porkpie sales have failed to rise.

A series of conventions on Porkpies have attracted much media attention, with TV presenters devouring every possible Porkpie on offer, but whilst there have been occasional blips in sales, out and out Porkpie consumption, has remained flat. The Flat Porkpie has not sold well either.

With the support of World Leaders, forced feeding of Porkpies to people who are sick of Porkpies, has been instigated, and rather than a jump in sales by enthusiastic consumers, the reverse has been noticed, and many people who had previously tolerated the occasional Porkpie, have now started to voice their concern over the media hype about Porkpies and their ability to fix anything in the world, apart from enriching the pockets of Porkpie producers.

Exercises in name calling, rebranding or reframing are now to be tried again."

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:03 PM | Unregistered Commenter golf Charlie

Priceless as always ^.^

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:32 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Unless we take steps now, to halt further expenditure on stopping climate change, our grandchildren are all going to die laughing.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:24 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf Charlie

You have got to stop doing this GC or I will die laughing long before your children, let alone your grandchildren ^.^

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:10 PM | Registered CommenterDung

From the Ricoh Letters thread:

""The moving finger writes, and having writ
Moves on: nor all thy piety and wit
Can move it back to cancel half a line"

or, put it another way
'Litera scripta manet'

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:42 PM | Unregistered Commenterosseo

osseo, or to bring it up to date - in cyberspace anyone can hear you scream...

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2"

Thanks Tiny :)

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I'm trying to remember where I heard the variation:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... leaving behind a trail of broken finger nails.
It might have been Bernard Levin; if anyone knows I'd like to hear.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:46 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Normal service is resumed on the Ricoh thread:

"Other news just in ....

George Mason University will be holding new courses, "How to saw off the branch you are sitting on" , "An introduction to circular firing squads" ("Intermediate circular firing squads" has been suspended due to lack of demand), and "How to shoot fish in a barrel, with an octopus and 8 Uzi sub machine guns, for people who can never shoot straight" (please bring your own barrels).

The Shukla family have been invited to demonstrate how to pull a grenade off a pin with your teeth, before throwing the pin, and Dame Julia Slingo will just be relieved she declined the opportunity to sign THAT letter, as she is not a US citizen.

Spare tickets for the Paris conference are being snapped up by the FBI, as more become available due to an unprecedented rise in unforeseen circumstances"

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:20 PM | Unregistered Commenter golf charlie

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM | Registered CommenterDung

rhoda - Unthreaded - Oct 12, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Here in Texas household electricity costs in the region of ten cents per kilowatt-hour. That's $100 per megawatt-hour. Which is less than the lowest STOR rate. It seems that all I need is a long cable and I could set up as a STOR operator in the UK from my socket here. I even have 220V at work.. Ohm's law might be a problem but I think a smart lawyer could get that repealed.

Absolute classic!

" Ohm's law might be a problem but I think a smart lawyer could get that repealed."

Many thanks Rhoda, lightened my day!

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:51 PM | Registered CommenterGreen Sand

Mike Jackson is always the voice of reason ^.^
re: M&S:

"Just stick to selling knickers, ffs!
Why do businesses get involved in things they have no expertise in?

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:07 PM | Registered Commenter Mike Jackson

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:59 PM | Registered CommenterDung