Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Real names or pseudonyms?

good post, tby.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM | Registered Commentershub

When people bicker it spills into every thread.

Somewhat of an exaggeration. There have been 140 separate Bishop Hill posts since I returned to being a BH vocalist on 12th July and I must have contributed to about half of them. In the second of those Dung chose to join forces with John Hewitt in attacking me, using his usual technique of a false accusation, although the Bish had asked us both early in 2013 not to talk to one other at all and I'd complied absolutely up to that point, as far as I can recall. I got the strong impression that my return was not welcome in that particular quarter.

I'd estimate that in about three of the subsequent 65-70 threads I've been part of we've had a real barney. Easily the most important of those was about whether exploitation of UK shale was already 'dead in the water' because of known machinations of the European Environmental Bureau. In that case Dung was quite wrong to say UK shale is finished. My mistrust of him and of the truthfulness of EU insiders led me to the much more encouraging truth, thanks greatly to Richard North.

So, an exaggeration but also a false assumption that all long-running disputes can only prove negative. I'm glad I challenged the defeatist message issued with such confidence then, despite the normal mockery this evinced and the lack of acknowledgement that I was right afterwards. But I was. I sure don't expect everyone to say that about everything! But in that case it mattered that I was. I should make further notes on that before I go into my autumnal hibernation.

Ah, my likely hibernation from BH. I hadn't mentioned that so far. It's part of why I thought I'd do some tying up of loose ends, including on nymity but certainly not limited to that. The prospects for UK shale and what we need to do to safeguard them is far more important than that.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I am struggling to remain silent here -.-

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM | Registered CommenterDung

You can help me Dung. Do you think "we've had a real barney" in more than four main threads since 12th July? I've linked to two of the cases I can remember, with the second easily the most important to my mind.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard, for someone who purports to be on the side of sceptical debate, you appear to revel in filling up the place with distracting gossip and humbug wholly unrelated to that debate. I could speculate that it is malicious, and there is indeed a double-agent in our midsts, or perhaps the result of some sort of mild social disorder, such as Aspergers, but no doubt you have a writ with a space for my name already filled out.

You don't need Dung to help you out - one thread about what Richard likes or dislikes is one too many.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Oh ffs, is this still going on? I like pseudonymity. So do others. Some people like to use their real names. I live in a small town, I run a small business, which is my and my family's only source of income. There are nutter activists out there, who would soon know where I live if I used my real name here. There are many green-minded folk who live in my area (who are good people, who I like to think are more misguided and gullible than evil). I don't want to fall out with these folk, as I sometimes may have to work with them on other issues. The Bish knows who I am, he knows where I live. This is his blog. He does not seem to mind me posting with a pseudonym. I respect the Bish, he is a good landlord, and runs a good pub, where all sorts of smart people drop in, making good conservation, and there are very few zebedees. I generally don't give a feck if contributors use their real names or not, it is what they say that is more important. Mind you I do appreciate when the likes of Jonathan Jones, Aynsley Kellow, or Norman Page drop in, they are probably the exception to the rule. Anyway I am rambling. The Glorious 12th was three weeks ago and I didn't get shot, so it can't be all bad.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM | Registered Commenterlapogus

TBYJ, I note that you never address Dung with any criticisms of him, including his obvious lies about what I have said or believe. So I feel that you are incredibly badly placed to make these extreme judgments of me. I'll simply quote what I said to Barry Woods almost two weeks ago:

It's not pomposity, it's a matter of courage: saying something [nyms needing to be limited in what they say about real people] that is obviously true but that has somehow become taboo to mention, a weakness in the culture of an important place for UK debate. That courage is the quality we admire in Judy Curry in the climate area. Thus I aspire to be in all areas. And there are of course other subjects...

Please note that I only made this point in two threads out of 140 since 12th July, when it had already been raised by others. I want to turn to those other subjects now, before my much anticipated hibernation. Sorry, lapogus, I appreciate you and many other nyms here and my beef I'm quite sure is not and has never been with you. But I must off now. With genuine love.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Dung and I have had our moments, believe me. But I believe the differences between us are miniscule in comparison with the difference between us and the eco-zealots. All the endless squabbling about who said what about who is meaningless compared with the real battle to be fought.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

But that ignores how wrong the guy was on UK shale having already been killed off by the European Environmental Bureau. That kind of confident wrongness can really sap morale and the desire to resist amongst many, perhaps influential but not wholly informed readers. I don't trust the guy one inch. That was one instance I was right not to do so. The continuous lying about me, which you choose to ignore, hardly increases the feelings of warmth. But resistance really isn't hard. I know I am not alone in many of these thoughts.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Having to have the last word is a terrible personality trait.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Richard 2:29. I have actually met you but, if I had not, your blog name would mean no more than any other, apart from those who are already well-known and/or in the public eye.
To take that one stage further, I am tempted to argue that it would be better if we were all just a series of numbers or codenames. That way all interest would be in the content of someone's postings whereas, in my opinion, posters who seem to use a real name may carry a tad more weight because they are seen as stepping up to the plate and proclaiming their views, in full public gaze. Where that is genuine, it is to be admired. However, returning to my original comment, we cannot tell if it is genuine if the name is not familiar.
So I see no benefit or kudos in folk using their real names as only the authors know if that is really the case - bar the exceptions noted earlier - and, as several have pointed out, in some cases it could entail risks in their professional environment.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM | Registered Commentermikeh

Richard: apologies for claiming to have met you in the above post - I mixed up names.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM | Registered Commentermikeh

ok folks, I've had my fun - it is just too easy to get a rise out of Mr Drake by quoting his words back at him (and getting the response that he did not say what he said). I know it is not grown-up behaviour but it does provoke so much amusement for me. I will try to resist for another 3 months.

I apologise.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

mikeh: apology hardly needed but accepted, thanks. diogenes: apology meaningless because you didn't quote me. are you sure all your marbles are in place and in proper working order?

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

What?! This thread again?!

Poor little Richard. Once again he demonstrates so clearly that he's far too enamoured with the sound of his own virtual voice for anyone's good. Least of all, his own.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:28 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

Hilary - Dung reopened this thread three days ago, after nine months, with

Richard

Completely against the express wishes of the Bish and completely against the views of almost all the people who commented in this thread; you are once again inserting your views on pseudonyms into threads on the topic pages ...

You may agree with every word he wrote but as it happens I didn't. For one thing it's just in two main threads out of 140 since my return to BH on 12th July that discussion of nymity has broken out recently and in both cases it wasn't started by me. For another Andrew didn't ask for the discussion to be curtailed in either case, as he has in the past. If you could control your need for issue tendentious ad-hominems on this - or if you criticised Dung, rather than me, for reopening the subject - then I wouldn't be adding anything now. But I do reserve the right to defend myself and I do think the discussion for three days has clarified quite a lot - including the fact that Dung and I largely agree. Isn't that grand?

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Let me add one thing that may help to explain a difference between myself and others here, that I have always assumed to be true but seems to bother others no end. This is what I wrote to Steve McIntyre at the end of an email about something else in April this year:

I think pretty much every day about internet interaction - have done since my first week on Ward Cunningham's original wiki in January 1999 - and I think you've made a contribution in this area that will be studied in the years to come by people without the slightest interest in climate. You were forced into it (from what I know) but the result is nothing less than groundbreaking.

Others are not as interested in internet interaction as I am, just as I have not been as interested in some details of the energy market. I think this might explain a lot. There's no need to cast aspersions or curtail anyone's freedom, as long as we obey the host when he indicates something has become off-topic in a particular thread.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Talking of Climate Audit, I'm a regular lurker, and I've seen you pee off people over there as well. At what point do you accept there's something wrong with your approach?

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Steve McIntyre has also p***d people off on Climate Audit, something royal. It doesn't mean there was anything wrong with what he wrote. Would you like to give specific examples of what you mean TBYJ? And if they're nothing to do with nymity why not do so on another discussion rather than this one?

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

That would be "never", then.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

No, I distinctly remember admitting being wrong on CA, for instance last month. But I don't think I'm wrong about nyms needing to be limited in what they say about real people on Bishop Hill. Examples of wrongful intransigence in this particular area are what you need, my friend. And I don't think you've ever actually said - and nor has Dung, amazingly - that you disagree with me that nyms should be limited in the way I've just said.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard; how do we know who is "real" on here? Apart from the few who are public figures or known to us personally, everyone else is just a tag.
You may well be Richard Drake in the real world but, to me, you could just as well call yourself R2D2 - it would make no difference.
This thread is starting to feel like a session with a troll.
Bish, if you are reading this, I vote for deleting the whole thread and snipping any further comments on this issue.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM | Registered Commentermikeh

Richard

To correct what you have said; I do not agree with you about almost everything and I am totally against your "one law for real names and another for nyms". Its just that you do not take in what people say when they disagree with you.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM | Registered CommenterDung

Climate science is about politics.

Do you have a right to insult anonymously someone in the political arena?

Well the the biggest insult you can pay someone like that is not via name calling, or even subdued aggression, it is done by not casting your vote in their favour. Or in the favour of those who sponsor.

Not endorsing by a vote is the biggest insult. One accepted by democracy. One accepted by politicians who understand the game.

A process done anonymously. Anonymous insult is how democracy works.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

Dung: You still haven't said if you agree with what I wrote at 10:03. I'm trying to build common ground, as I believe is always the right thing when such rancorous disputes occur, so that everyone can see clearly where the differences lie.

Jiminy: Brilliant contribution thanks. I completely agree that anonymity has a vital place in our system of representative democracy. And I've also said that pseudonymity is great on Bishop Hill. I want us to be far more precise about where the differences lie.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake