Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > COP 23

Yes it's headed this way .... probably deserves a thread of its own

See how it's going

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:27 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Where are all the wind turbines and solar panels?

I note the big top for all the clowns.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:53 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Tickets still available.......

Will there be an official US Govt representation? Possibly not from NASA ....

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/03/president-trump-appoints-new-nasa-chief/
"In the video Bridenstine mentions the global warming pause, and criticises then President Obama for squandering money on global warming, instead of focussing on saving lives with better weather forecasting."

Who would have thought that better weather forecasting is a better way of saving lives? Doh!

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:18 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Supertroll

that's actually what I thought about "the big tent" :-)

Wind turbines and solar panels? = too risky >> not difficult to imagine an overcast and near windless week in Bonn in November.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:20 PM | Registered Commentertomo

But in the big tent, they could demonstrate what wind generators and solar panels look like for most of the time, without risk of a fire.

When the tent is full of partygoers, it will be a wonderful display of uselessness. As none of them have an idea about how any of their ideas can be paid for, or why, it seems rather apt.

Any idea how they are providing lighting, heating and power to this uninsulated tented village?

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:18 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

I'm looking forward in due course to the list of attendees. Will the usual suspects from COP22 (and earlier COPs) once more be in attendance? Will they have learned anything, and reduced the numbers, or will it be the same CO2-belching jamboree?

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark Hodgson

For those who already have a ticket, paid for by someone else's tax, I expect they will party as though there may never be another one.

Angele Merkel will probably turn up for a farewell, and Juncker's appearance may be met with dismay.

All that they can conclude is that they need to strive, more boldy than ever before, to continue endeavouring to have meaningless meetings to discuss what they would do, with the money they are not going to get.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:18 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

GC, since they are indeed always telling us that globally there is going to be no tomorrow, then it certainly makes sense for them to party like there is no tomorrow. Almost a welcome outbreak of self-consistency.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:53 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

michael hart, it is good that they have developed some self-consistency. Self-sufficiency without other peoples funding was never their strong point.

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:03 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

'ere we go!

COP23

The whiff of BS-PR is increasing on the MSM wind

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:13 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Here is the weather forecast. Not very warm

http://www.holiday-weather.com/bonn/forecast/

Will the partygoing delegates be wrapped up warm in the dark, or will they be relying on reliable heating and lighting systems?

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:30 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Shame somebody can't arrange a series of power cuts for them really.

Looking at the encampment I would not be surprised to see several diesel generators and some LPG fueled warm air heaters.

What's the betting that fashion choices Trump practical attire for the time of year ?

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM | Registered Commentertomo
Nov 4, 2017 at 7:24 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM | tomo
Delegates from warmer climates may realise how lucky they are, and wonder why Germany doesn't want slightly warmer weather. Will they throw away their extra-warm coats bought on UN expenses, before, or after flying home?

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:24 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

@gc

When I was in Venezuela a few years back I witnessed office workers sporting the then fashionable down filled gilets and ski jackets when it was 28 to 30 degrees outside. I found it quite tiresome to have to wear my travelling fleece + shell + socks + jeans in the office. There was a thermostat war.

People outside the office were in t-shirts and shorts.

I will look with some interest at how many folk from Caracas show up in Bonn and see if they are banging the anti-fracking drum.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM | Registered Commentertomo

"Construction started on 14 August and is progressing remarkably fast, with some two-stories tents already topped with hard-plastic roofs in the form of pyramids.

In order to appreciate the sheer scale of the project and the materials involved, one just has to look at the thousands of wooden panels waiting to be installed as the flooring of the tents. This flooring will cover a surface of 50,000 square meters."

So hard-plastic roofs - a by-product of oil? 50,000 sq metres of wooden flooring - made by cutting down trees, presumably. But then we get this:

"In order to minimize the consumption of resources, participants are encouraged to rely on digital versions of official documents which can be downloaded from the UNFCCC website, and to abstain from requesting printed copies. A printed copy of an official document can nonetheless be requested at the Documents Counter."

Do these people lack both shame and a sense of irony?

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:22 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark, have you no shame? - broadcasting such terminological inexactitudes. Haven't the organizers arranged for large quantities of fossil fuels (probably natural gas BTW) to be diverted into plastic, so locking up much carbon? And all that wood you rant on about came from trees, the felling of which created much Lebensraum for more trees to remove even more nasty carbon from our polluted skies. Are you one of those deniers? Don't you believe in what we are doing? Our Bonndock vill be wunderbach!

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM | tomo

At University in the 1980s, I remember "Overseas Students" needing to get to clothing shops on Day 1 of Freshers Week in September. Many of them had the name of one shop, passed to them by their predecessors back home. It was C&A, who did good value ski clothing.

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:35 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Mark Hodgson & Supertroll

I expect the BBC will do a full "Sustainability Audit" of COP 23, and the environmental damage that a single week of pointless backslapping can do.

I wonder how many Air Miles it generates?

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:44 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

This should send a chill through the party tents in Bonn.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/11/06/another-win-win-climate-talks-open-amid-anger-over-trumps-coal-support/

Win: President Trump announced US withdrawal from Paris climate treaty agreement joke.Win: US will use its remaining 3 years as a party to the joke as a vehicle to promote fossil fuels.

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:50 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

2017 'very likely' in top three warmest years on record
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent, Bonn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41859288

Anyone would think there was a climate conference on the go or something... Oh yes, that's right:

"With UN talks on climate change now underway here in Bonn, the report is likely to reinforce a sense of urgency among many delegates."

Science or propaganda?

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:07 PM | Mark Hodgson

There is a real sense of urgency to get the last bits of money, before it runs out permanently.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:38 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Top item on the BBC News website at the moment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41904650

Paris climate accord: Syria 'to sign up', isolating US

Opening words:

"The US is set to become isolated in its stance on the Paris climate agreement, after reports that Syria is preparing to join the deal.
The Paris deal unites the world's nations in tackling climate change"

In tackling climate change? Really? Why then, towards the end of the article, is there this?:

"Scientists point out that work to implement the Paris accord must be stepped up if it is to have any chance of success."

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark Hodgson

The lame Matt McGrath "espresso climate change" video pasted into that piece is from 2015 - they couldn't even be arsed to edit the last few seconds off to make it "timeless".

It seems like the BBC team haven't got anything to final cut from Bonn yet so repeats is the order of the day - something we all know they're ahem ... capable of. Expect Harrabin doing his impersonation of Private Frazier / Dad's Army doomed! over the next few days.

I wonder how many BBC staff are at the Bonn shindig and will they be sending a team to Syria to get some reaction on the ground / from the government there?

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:57 PM | Registered Commentertomo

The BBC could look at this post, and then ask some good questions in Bonn,

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/11/07/cop23-in-one-graph-best-reason-ever-why-the-usa-doesnt-need-to-be-in-the-parisagreement/

but they probably won't.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:04 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie