Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Post-oil civilisation?

" I have never
heard of peak wood for France in the 19th century."

I find it hard to believe France didn't have other fuel in the 19th century. Surely they had coal or whale oil or something?

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

"Methinks that is not how you see it, though." - I've never given it much thought. I doubt anyone would describe the market as a normal free market, but you might be right that we can expect no better given how important it is.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Rob Burton
I think that coal was restricted to northern France. There are pictures somewhere on the web (which I cannot find now) of rafts of firewood on a river (the Yonne perhaps) which 2 or 3 men and boys floated to Paris and then walked back taking about four or five days to collect the next one.

In rural France wood is still the major source of heat in the winter. The price round here is 135€ a corde (3 m^3 here). Often supplemented by LPG and paraffin. Chimney sweeps are much in demand at the moment. DIY stores are full of woodburners and this sort of thing Buche de ramonage

Bottled gas is used by a large number of people for cooking.

Like a lot of things I think the UK, and in particular SE England, is the unusual one in European terms for heating and energy sources for heating.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS