Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > That CO2 thing again..

Martin, you expect science to provide Rhoda with measurements that show direct connection between CO2 and temperature rise and yet you are content to rely on hand waving ("the only conceivable source...") to explain spring melting. Measuring solar radiation at 150,000km distance from the source is not what I would call direct, but maybe you have a different definition of the word "direct". Measuring the vibrational and radiative changes in an ice crystal that result once the SW radiation from the sun has been absorbed, reradiated as infrared distributed by GHGs, reabsorbed etc is not something I think you could do directly.

We do understand in detail the behaviour of CO2 with respect to infra red radiation, the gas laws of the atmosphere etc. These things have been measured directly over the last century an more. We know for sure that an increase in CO2 causes energy to accumulate on Earth. The unknowns are secondary, such as the level of feedbacks, time constants, circulatory changes etc. But the primary change, the accumulation of energy, is not reasonably in dispute. And we can measure that in ocean temperature changes.

Mike the direct correlation is between CO2 increase and energy accumulation. Energy accumulates until temperatures have increase sufficiently to restore balance. This may have been mis-sold by the entire climate science community as implying a linear correlation to land surface temperatures - or there may have been a variety of messages some more balanced than others; I don't know. We know now that those who proposed a linear correlation were probably wrong. Gee, I apologise to you on their behalf. But let's put that behinds us because it does not change the fundamental correlation of CO2 to energy accumulation.

ssat, you said, "Note "Higher up is colder.". This is not 'Higher up becomes warmer'. He is specifically saying that more GH gases reduce the outgoing radiation, upset the radiative balance and add energy into the system. An entirely different description to a greater height for OLR increasing surface temperature via the lapse rate." Maybe you are missing the unspoken corollary - that the radiative imbalance causes temperatures to change until the "higher up" does indeed become warmer and the imbalance is gone.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Raff
Odd, really, that I could only find one relevant hit for the phrase "energy accumulation" on the first two pages of Google and that led me to ...
well, well, 'And Then There's Physics'.
Colour me cynical.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Mike, its also one of EM's favourite habits: Switching from arguing about temperatures (because they are not going up as the models predicted) to talking about energy accumulation instead while omitting to acknowledge that energy accumulation cannot be determined in the real world without first measuring temperature changes.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Raff,

" Maybe you are missing the unspoken corollary - that the radiative imbalance causes temperatures to change until the "higher up" does indeed become warmer and the imbalance is gone."

Not at all. That is exactly my point. Now consider how long it takes for that radiative imbalance to be gone: a) the time it takes for a photon to be thermalised by an additional CO2 molecule, or b) the time it takes for that thermalised CO2 to conduct to a non-GHG or c) a fortnight or d) ...?

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:36 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

Mike, if I Google "energy accumulation" climate change I get 64000 hits. If I search Google scholar for the same I get 1640 hits. What you are noticing is that the term "energy accumulation" is used in scientific discussions, which would of course be unfamiliar to many regulars here. All the same I am flattered that you cannot tell me apart from a physicist.

It doesn't really concern me that you and others refuse to accept the GHE. In fact it is a positive boon - any time anyone suggests skeptics have some credibility, I just point them here.

michael, energy accumulation and temperature change are two sides of the same coin. If you find it confusing, bear in mind that accumulation of energy results in a temperature change, then you'll be alright.

ssat, er what? See my comment to Mike, above.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Ssat

"Now consider how long it takes for that radiative imbalance to be gone: a) the time it takes for a photon to be thermalised by an additional CO2 molecule, or b) the time it takes for that thermalised CO2 to conduct to a non-GHG or c) a fortnight or d) ...?

The correct answer is d)

The radiative imbalance disappears when the climate has heated up enough and the heat capacity is very large.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM | Unregistered CommenterScience of Doom

Raff

"er what"

It was a simple question: how long does the radiative imbalance last for each additional molecule, mole or tonne of CO2? You said "until the radiative imbalance is gone". Just wondering how long 'until' would be. Of course, if it was a nanosecond then there would be no acumulated energy to worry about so I would be interested to know how long it actually is.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM | Unregistered Commenterssat

ssat, this discussion has been going on for ten pages and the process by which the GHE occurs has been well described by SoD, amongst others. Your question gives the impression that you haven't understood any of it.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:42 AM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

"michael, energy accumulation and temperature change are two sides of the same coin. If you find it confusing, bear in mind that accumulation of energy results in a temperature change, then you'll be alright."

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Yes, and if credit-card companies were not legally obliged to tell you the APR on their products then the least trustworthy ones would change the way they calculate it tomorrow, if not sooner.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

We know for sure that an increase in CO2 causes energy to accumulate on Earth.
Aug 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM Raff

The measured properties of CO₂ are not in question. And the analysis of simple models based on those properties is not in question by anyone who accepts that the laws of physics are not open to doubt.

"We know for sure that an increase in CO2 causes energy to accumulate on Earth." That's an unquantified statement. It's hard to disagree with unquantified statements.

It seems likely that an increase in atmos CO₂ would "causes energy to accumulate on Earth" to some unknown extent. But to be "sure" about a thing that has been hypothesised but depends unverified assumptions and has not measured does not make sense.

The relation between ΔCO₂ and Δ temp is essentially unknown so far as I can see. If it were, there would be agreement on the value of so-called 'climate sensitivity'.

As I said previously, the simplest explanation for "the missing heat" is that the assumptions made in calculating the effects of small changes CO₂ are wrong or incomplete and its value is so small that it is lost in the noise.

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

But 'accumulating energy' is not how the coming catastrophe is being sold. 'Thermageddon' is declared when the temperature has gone up 2 degrees C. If we can accumulate energy without the temperature going up very much at all, thermageddon is presumably postponed - quite a lot? So maybe we have quite a lot more time to sort the problem out? Maybe we don't need to decarbonise quite so fast - and expensively?

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM | Unregistered Commenterosseo

SoD;

The correct answer is d)
The radiative imbalance disappears when the climate has heated up enough and the heat capacity is very large.

Thank you for that. It would seem that we have now arrived at the question of climate sensitivity to anthropogenic CO2.

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

Ssat:

"It would seem that we have now arrived at the question of climate sensitivity to anthropogenic CO2."

Oh, now a hard question.

In fact, it's not "climate sensitivity to anthropogenic CO2" or even "climate sensitivity to CO2", it's climate sensitivity to well distributed radiative forcing. Anyway, this is why the massive questioning of radiative physics basics with "why hasn't the surface temperature changed for 17 years" is so bemusing.

(Bemusing only in one sense, because I realize most people haven't understood the physics basics).

Anyway, radiative heat transfer, even through gases, can be turned into a simple 1d problem with a well understood equation from fundamental physics, and well known parameters measured in a lab and verified in the atmosphere. (Obviously the earth is 3d - you integrate this 1d equation over the surface of the earth).

Contrast that with turbulent flows of the atmosphere and the ocean. That problem is seriously difficult. See Turbulence, Closure and Parameterization.

So climate sensitivity to radiative forcing.. Is it a constant? Can it be measured? What do climate models tells us? What does past climate tell us? Probably needs a new discussion.

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterScience of Doom

Looking in IPCC AR4 2007, I find

Climate sensitivity is a metric used to characterise the response of the global climate system to a given forcing. It is broadly defined as the equilibrium global mean surface temperature change following a doubling of atmospheric CO2 concentration

(my emphasis). That ties in with my impression of how it is defined.

But there seem to be other similar, related, but not identical, definitions: climate sensitivity (equilibrium temperature change in response to radiative forcing change)

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

The IPCC remit is to publish reports at intervals. These are expected to review the current state of the science and use it to project future conditions as a guide for those making policy. The IPCC regard CO2 increase as the driver for increased radiative forcing and the subsequent temperature change, and phrase their definition accordingly.

The more general definition could be used with any source of radiative forcing. For example, if the solar output increased by 1% it would probably increase temperature. Surface insolation is about 280W/M2. Simplifying a little, a 1% increase would add 2.8W. The IPCC estimate of the link between forcing and global temperature is 3.8W/C. The extra 1% solar forcing would produce 2.8/3.8 or 0.74C warming.

The same technique would apply to changes in albedo, cloud cover or any other forcing effect.I get requests here for ways to disprove AGW. How about good data showing changes in non-CO2 forcing which would generate the observed temperature changes?

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

"It's hard to disagree with unquantified statements." No it is not. Turn it round and you get:

We know for sure that an increase in CO2 causes energy to dissipate from Earth.

I disagree with that, quantified or not. You?

But to be "sure" about a thing that has been hypothesised but depends unverified assumptions and has not measured does not make sense.

Again no. I am sure that nothing I say will convince you to change your mind about CO2. I base that on assumptions about you gleaned from our short acquaintance. Do you think it makes no sense?

SoD's rephrasing of sensitivity to relate to radiative forcing, not CO2, is because it is the forcing that causes temperature change (and forcing need not come from CO2 change). And increased CO2 does result unequivocally in increased radiative forcing. He has an amusing piece for those who like to dispute it still.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

This may be slightly off topic but I was wondering is there anywhere I can get the IR spectra (TOA) for different parts of the world with the corresponding temperatures of the Earth's surface at the time of taking the spectra. I know there are NIMBUS data out there but just wondering if there is a central database with this kind of thing that would be useful to construct the absorption effects as SoD talks about on his site?

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM | Registered CommenterMicky H Corbett

Raff - I think you may have guessed wrongly about what I think. There's no question that the greenhouse effect exists. Conversely, if the Earth's atmosphere contained zero greenhouse gases, then it would not exist so far as Earth is concerned. So, at least over some range, increasing greenhouse gases will produce increasing greenhouse effect.

"We know for sure that an increase in CO2 causes energy to accumulate on Earth." As I said, it's hard to disagree with that unquantified statement even for someone who thinks that the effect may possibly be insignificant.

What I am saying is that, when you have a complicated system with some aspects that are only partially understood and where the computations based on the theory have given results different from what was confidently expected by the world's leading experts on the subject, then it's only reasonable to ask for direct evidence from measurement or observation, no matter how confident some people are that their understanding is correct and adequately complete. If nobody can think of a way to make such a measurement, then that's how it is. But that does not mean it is unreasonable to keep pointing out that the thing has not been directly shown in reality.

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

The measured insolation, OLR, DWLR, temperature and calculated energy budgets of this planet Venus, Mars and Titan are consistent with the physics of radiation and heat transfer derived from theory and confirmed by laboratory experiment. On Earth these are changing as one would expect if AGW is taking place, subject to the usual confidence limits and other noise generating variables.

Over the period for which we have direct measurements the only driving variable which has changed significantly is CO2 concentration.

That is probably as good as any of us will get without replicate planets on which to do controlled trials.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:13 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

I did explain a little more about radiative forcing in Wonderland, Radiative Forcing and the Rate of Inflation (and a follow up part), because, like the rate of inflation, it's a handy ready reckoner, but doesn't give the whole story.

A while back papers would compare the GCM response of doubling CO2 vs a 2% increase in solar..

The link above mostly discussed a paper by Hansen and others:

"We examine the sensitivity of a climate model to a wide range of radiative forcings, including change of solar irradiance, atmospheric CO2, O3, CFCs, clouds, aerosols, surface albedo, and “ghost” forcing introduced at arbitrary heights, latitudes, longitudes, season, and times of day.."

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:18 AM | Unregistered CommenterScience of Doom

Micky H Corbett

I haven't tried to do it myself, but NASA's Panoply software might help.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

But that does not mean it is unreasonable to keep pointing out that the thing has not been directly shown in reality.

Well it depends upon the circumstances, the time and place. If you were to keep doing so amongst climate scientists who are very well aware of the limitations to their knowledge you might find that they considered it tedious and indeed unreasonable. But you are right, in the context of a blog the aim of which is (in the words of BBD over at ATTP's place) "to inject a constant stream of misinformation and fake controversy into the public discourse" it is of course entirely reasonable.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

SoD, thanks for taking the time to post here.

I'm particularly interested in your responses to Martin-A above, most specifically relating to the "..it's climate sensitivity to well distributed radiative forcing" bit, which so often seems to imply some near-equilibrium considerations in frequent blog discussions at other locations.

I rarely, if ever, get much traction when posing questions that start with "...but much of the atmosphere is not in equilibrium, so would CO2 not actually increase radiative losses to space in certain regions such as, say, sub-tropical regions where there is 'adiabatic' warming of low-humidity air..."

Is that included in what you think is worth a separate discussion, or is it covered in your blog-posts mentioned above (it's a while since I've visited your site.)

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:01 AM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

mh - I refrained from provoking Raff into incandescent fury when he pointed out that "We know for sure that an increase in CO2 causes energy to dissipate from Earth" is also an unquantified statement, with the implication that no sane person could ever agree with it.

I decided not to suggest hypothetical mechanisms that could operate to give just such an effect (analogous to negative resistance effects in electronic devices, where an increase in applied voltage results in a decrease in the resulting current). But you have made such a suggestion anyway.

And now Raff has rumbled us (with the help of the much missed BBD) and revealed that our objective is to inject a constant stream of misinformation and fake controversy into the public discourse.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:10 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

...if the Earth's atmosphere contained zero greenhouse gases, then it would not exist so far as Earth is concerned.
Interesting point. Are you absolutely sure that if there were no "greenhouse gases" in the atmosphere then there would be no atmosphere?
My problem with the CO2 argument is that it is just a little too convenient when there are other hypotheses (we've mentioned Huffman; we've mentioned AlecM (et al :-)) that, at least on the face of it, are plausible. And then there's Salby.
I'm not disputing what is called for simplicity's sake the greenhouse "effect" but since the earth's atmosphere, unlike a greenhouse, is not a closed system I'm not sure how far that analogy can go.

And I'm sorry, EM, but your "the only driving variable which has changed significantly is CO2 concentration" is simply an assertion. The arguments we have on here and one of the arguments that appear to have at last found their way into the climate science community is whether both parts of that statement are true.
If CO2 is a driving variable why has it stopped driving for the last 15+ years?
Since the drivers of the AGW hypothesis have only rarely acknowledged that there could even be any other driving forces of any significance how do we know that CO2 is the only one to have changed significantly?
And what happens when you go back to the period before we had direct measurements* when temperatures varied as widely as they have done in the last 100 years and — we are told — CO2 was pretty constant?

* "Direct measurements aren't always what they seem as we've discovered here and here and here

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:04 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson