Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Mann and his side order Cook visit Bristol Lew: Watt's to be done?

You'll know from StewGreen's “Events : Summer 2014” thread here that Mann and Cook are talking at Bristol in September, and that Anthony Watts and Lucia Liljegren are coming over from the US specially. (Anthony has two articles on the subject at WUWT). This thread is intended to raise one important question I haven't seen discussed elsewhere:

- How to raise awareness and interest in the media, and make sure that sceptic voices get heard?

Obviously the organisers can try to stifle sceptic voices by organising who gets to ask questions. No doubt the speakers and their friends would like the presence of Anthony, Lucia and other sceptics to be ignored; on the other hand the event organisers might appreciate the publicity which comes from the presence of well-known sceptics.

What will the media do? In a normal media environment, the fact that the owner of the world's most popular science blog is crossing the planet to attend lectures by his bitterest enemies – financed by contributions from his fans – would be considered a prime news story. Will the BBC and other influential media choose to cover what could be a fascinating encounter? Or will they choose to ignore it, playing the Lawson Gambit? What can we do to influence their decision?
One simple strategy would be to call attention to the event on every relevant climate thread in the media, linking to the articles at WUWT. Any other ideas?

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

first idea from me -
quote the comment from Anthony Watts and Lucia Liljegren where they state they will attend (has Lucia stated this ?)
then make sure/hammer home the "financed by contributions from his/her blog commentaters, no BIG OIL/COAL/GAS etc... involved'

"to attend lectures by his bitterest enemies" don't use that, could make suggestions but will leave that to others better placed.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM | Unregistered Commenterdougieh

Dougieh
Anthony announces his visit at
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/16/calling-all-uk-skeptics-free-talk-with-97-bias/

[can someone explain in simple language how to make a link come up blue? I've tried a dozen times with those HTML thingies at the bottom of the page, but it never works]

and Lucia Liljegren announces her presence at July 16, 2014 at 6:04 am on the same thread. Lots of individuals chime in on the thread with money and best wishes, and I add my own (best wishes that is. I'm skint, but I sometimes respond to these appeals, and will in the future, I promise).

This has the makings of a big event. People as important as Mann and Cook don't fly in from the other side of the planet to sample Bristol University's petits fours. The media need to be made aware that the possibility of a confrontation between the likes of Mann and Cook and the likes of Watts and Liljegren is a newsworthy event. But how?

Agreed about the word “enemies”. I'm currently busy translating texts on WWII and 20th century anarchism and sometimes get carried away..

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

For the purpose of illustration, I’ll substitute the “<” and “>” with “(“ and “)” (otherwise it will assume it really is a link) – wrap the link in the phrase: (a href=“http://www.whatever address your link is”) title or phrase you want to use(/a).

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Many thanks Radical R. I'm trying it out with a link to Anthony Watts' second and latest article on his visit to England. It's
here
I'm sure he'll have a good time and meet some interesting and generous people. But will anyone in the big wide world know about it? Surely an enterprising journalist at Newsnight or the Today Programme would love to organise a live debate between Watts and Mann? Of course, Mann would probably refuse, and the journalist would have to explain that to his listeners, and his editors.
The conjunction of these two planets (not to mention the pink dwarf Cook) on British soil is a once in a lifetime chance. Apart from a mention by Katabasis on Unthreaded, I haven't seen any interest expressed here. Is it the weather or something?

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

Nothing. Mann and his cronies have been effectively side-lined by mainstream science, and we should not give them the oxygen of publicity - do not promote them to the position of prime enemy - they are not important, and in time will be written into the history of science along with Piltdown Man.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:15 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

I would expect that GWPF would be involved in something whilst Anthony is over here as well as Booker, Delingpole etc. If there is too much publicity prior to the event then Mann might cancel.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM | Registered CommenterLord Beaverbrook

Busy with other things but tracking this one! Maximum publicity is the right answer, as per Geoff. :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

TheBigYinJames

Mann and his cronies have been effectively side-lined by mainstream science, and we should not give them the oxygen of publicity - do not promote them to the position of prime enemy - they are not important..
If only! As I get tired of saying, the real world doesn't always operate according to rules of reason.
Even leaving aside the machinations of green activists embedded at the BBC and elsewhere, the likely reaction of the science and environment correspondents in the mainstream media is likely to be: “Look! That hockeystick chap there was all the fuss about is over here talking about climate wars. Let's interview him.” Plus Mann will probably have a book or a paper to promote, and Bristol University will be after the publicity. And Bob Ward and Ed Davey will be invited on the programme to provide balance. With the best will in the world, the journalist will not know that Anthony Watts will be in the audience, trying vainly to ask a question, unless someone tells him.
Let's get over playground views of the BBC and the Guardian as nests of Green Trotskyist militants and try and imagine what might happen in an editorial conference at the BBC or elsewhere. A green activist journalist suggests interviewing Mann. A “normal” journalist suggests interviewing Watts as well. What's the editor to say? “No, I daren't. Watts isn't a proper scientist, just a meteorologist who runs the world's most popular science blog. It's more than my job's worth. I daren't take the risk of Bob Ward writing a nasty letter to my boss.”?

Lord Beaverbrook

If there is too much publicity prior to the event then Mann might cancel.
Excellent! If there's one thing better than the story: “Man bites dog” it's “Man bites dog, and dog runs away”.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

First response - I dunno. But to throw a few ideas out there...

Perhaps Channel 4 would be an interesting avenue? They don't stick to the warmist side all the time. Perhaps Jon Snow might like to try and take on Anthony - one tv guy against another :-D

Alternatively perhaps one of those Sunday discussion progs? Or could Anfrew Neil interview him?

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Hi Geoff

Several years ago I attended a climate conference at Southampton Unoversity given by dr Iain Stewart of climate wars fame.

A couple of months ago I attended a climate conference at Exeter university with numerous ipcc reviewers including Thomas Stocker and Richard Betts, the latter of which I managed to talk to

At both events I asked sceptical questions but it's all fairly controlled and did not lead to any meaningful debate.Unless Anthony has got inside information or a specific objective in mind I am not sure what he hopes to achieve by attending the Bristol University event.

IMHO the greater effort should be put into organising a UK sceptics conference in Bristol. At it each sceptic Could outline their area of expertise and interest and we could draw up a few strategies so we can move forward in a more organised and concerted manner than at present. We are a disorganised bunch on the whole and need to get our act together.

I could possibly arrange a meeting at the Met office which is geographically close to me and who I have found to be more open than we give them credit for.

As I say, Anthony or you may be privy to more information than I am aware of but I would certainly attend a sceptics conference if it was to be meaningful and include Business as well as a social aspect.

Tonyb

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterTonyb

If the mainstream media don't pick up on this it would be a crime if sceptics don't take the opportunity, say, to get a little film out of it at least. What's Topher Field up to in September? Certainly everyone going should be ready with their smartphones.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterIan Woolley

Start thinking like journalists: what is the story here?

"Mann comes to talk at Bristol Uni and might face a question from Anthony Watts"

I'm not sure there's anything there. You have to generate something newsworthy (i.e., spin it), otherwise there won't be anything. I'm not sure Mann's presence in the UK would generate any interest. Unless the Bristol Uni PR people can spin something. But how many times do you here stories based on an event like this? I'm not sure there are many.

Perhaps if Mann and Watts were going head to head in a guaranteed, more formal event. Someone could take the opportunity to stage a debate with some other heavyweights while they're both here and generate some publicity around that.

Make it fun and funky, with some WWF-style marketing. I'm only half joking...

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterCharlie Furniss

... I guess the point is that Mann vs Watts in themselves aren't enough to generate media coverage, especially if the face-off might only happen and only for a few minutes.

But if you can use them as the starting point to develop a bigger event, which in itself is unusual/newsworthy, then you might be on to something. Perhaps taking the debate out of government/academic circles and somewhere more lively. Stage it somewhere 'cool', get some kind of online live stream or interactive element, lots of social media etc etc.

But it would depend on the tone of the coverage/debate you were after. The minutiae of historical research aren't going to get much of a following.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterCharlie Furniss

Tonyb's idea of a conference is a good one, but let's make do with what we've got for the moment. If anyone can record Lew's talk, I'll willingly transcribe it for Alex Cull's Mytranscriptbox.
Meanwhile there's a new angle on Lew's “Moon Hoax” paper at
http://www.joseduarte.com/blog/more-fraud?
Duarte is a social scientist. He's written to Professor Eich, editor in chief of Psychological Science, to try and get the paper retracted. I've written to Eich too, reminding him of his promise to reply to my letter of April 2013 once Lewandowsky had settled in at Bristol and had time to respond.

Charlie Furniss is absolutely right about thinking like journalists. The presence of Watts and Mann isn't a story in itself, but “scientist gets something wrong” is a story. I point out that Lew is a liar on every thread I can. Sometimes people notice, and they also notice when Lew doesn't reply. Barry Woods has a new angle on José Duarte's thread, about Lew's use of minors in his surveys. That's the kind of angle a journalist might notice.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

The Cabot Institute seemed to promise Mann, Lewandowsky and Oreskes on one bill in September. I do not see her listed on the events for the 19th or the 23rd of September. Is there yet another show?

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM | Unregistered Commenterbetapug

Geoff

My point was that a meeting whereby someone might ask someone else one question before it is moved on, is not a matter of great interest to most sceptics let alone the media.(unless something much more spectacular than I know of has been planned)

My point was that this event could be the focus of a meeting of sceptics that might have far greater impact in the longer term. Its about time we all met up in a more formal atmosphere than blogs and carried out some planning instead of our usual uncoordinated ad hoc efforts to deflate the warmist bubble.

Would I come the 100 miles (and stay overnight) to watch a stage managed event such as this? No.

Would I come to participate in some more meaningful mini conference that might be the catalyst for something bigger and might be the PR peg on which to hang our hat? Yes

tonyb

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM | Unregistered Commentertonyb

Very much agree with Tony.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Thanks Richard

It seems to me that we have a good opportunity to meet up at a very accessible place, talk hopefully to Anthony and Lucia and also put together some sort of strategy (ranging from formal to highly informal) for the future based on our various skills and interests. In addition,being able to put a face to the name is always useful and would result in informal networking as well as any more overarching contacts. It might also create some PR.

As I say, I am not privy to any more fundamental reason to Anthony coming over other than putting a question to someone who might or might not answer it. Consequently there might already be wheels within wheels that I am not aware of. If there aren't these wheels however it just seems this is a bit of a wasted opportunity

tonyb

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM | Unregistered Commentertonyb

Perhaps we should turn the difficulty of getting the media interested into an advantage. Bob Ward, Chris Mooney, George Monbiot etc., are always complaining about the immense sway sceptics have over the media e.g

Who Created the Global Warming "Pause"?
How climate skeptics and the media—with a little inadvertent help from scientists themselves—forged a misleading narrative.
—Chris Mooney on Mon. October 7, 2013 12:43 PM PDTb

------------------

When climate change denial is promoted in mainstream news
--Including articles and comments from figures such as Matthew Ridley and Nigel Lawson without balance misleads the British public.
--BY BOB WARD PUBLISHED 20 AUGUST, 2014 - 14:25

When in fact, as the above shows, getting media attention is, 97% of the time, a no go. So, approach it from a parody angle - a short documentary following Anthony Watts et al's arrival as if they're coming over here with immense clout and power to corrupt our media which will obviously be undercut by the fact that there's virtually no coverage whatsoever in reality.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM | Unregistered CommenterIan Woolley

So have any actual plans been made for a meeting anywhere prior to/post these meetings in Bristol? I've seen a lot of interest expressed, but no definite plans - or have I missed something somewhere? I am definitely going to the Mann and Mann/Cook talks, but would really like to meet up with fellow-sceptics as well.

Is there any further news on Anthony Watts' and Lucia Liljegren's plans while here? (I've been away for a month, and only skimming blogs)

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM | Unregistered CommenterCarolineK

I hope someone pins them down with some proper questions
eg draw attention to the common logical fallacies like "Argument from Authority" and "confirmation bias" and failure to observe proper reporting "Truth, perspective and context"
eg ask "Can you explain the difference between 'proper validated science' and 'scientists say' "

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

CORRECTION & CLARIFICATION
Mann is talking at Bristol University’s Festival of Ideas on September 23rd about “The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars - the Battle Continues”.
John Cook is talking on September 19th, and there’s a working link at WUWT to Bristol University’s Cabot Institute where you can buy a ticket. But this event isn’t mentioned at the Festival of Ideas site, so it’s presumably a separate event.

betaplug (Aug 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM)
I haven’t seen anything about Oreskes and Lew being on.
Lewandowsky talked about his “NASA Faked the Moon Landing” paper in June. THe Festival of Ideas have audio and video recordings of some past talks on their site, but the most recent ones seem to be from 2010. If anyone attended Lew's talk and made an audio recording I’d gladly transcribe it. Likewise for the coming Mann and Cook talks.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

OK, so now it is only 5 days till the first talk here in Bristol; are any BHers coming along to it or the one next tue? I will be there, and would appreciate some sceptic company, having endured the Lew talk on my own.

Please respond to this thread if you are able and willing to go, and would like to meet up for mutual support,

thanks, Caroline

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM | Unregistered CommenterCarolineK

Hi Caroline - Anthony Watts has a front row seat ;-)

I'm coming too

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Woods