Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Current climate policy is pointless – we need a new approach

But that, Mike, is to miss Knappenberger’s point. What he’s saying is this: for political (“large populations with little or no access to electricity”) and technical (“current-generation renewable energy technologies are simply incapable of meeting the enormous energy needs of developing countries”) reasons, there’s no possibility that developing economies will agree to mitigate their CO2 emissions. Therefore, Western countries are fooling themselves if they think they can persuade them to do so. US Secretary of State John Kerry’s trip to India last week provides a perfect example: LINK. An extract:

Javadekar [India’s new environment minister] and his team expressed their reservations on the issue, pointing to the fact that developed countries were required to show leadership under the convention and India was against breaking the existing embedded differentiation between rich and developing countries. Javadekar also insisted that the principle of equity needed to be adhered to while distributing the burden of reducing emissions globally. [my emphases]
Knappenberger’s is my point also: given that economies responsible for about 70% of global emissions have every intention of continuing to emit, for the UK (little more than 1% of emissions) to press on with its absurdly expensive and damaging climate policies is completely pointless.

In other words, there’s no prospect of Greenpeace getting its way – except perhaps in some small African countries. The emerging economies are clearly not going to be so foolish as to allow them to do so. See THIS and THIS for example. And, even if we in the West are “dealing with eugenicists and neo-Malthusians” and back to nature enthusiasts, such people are irrelevant in a developing country determined to grow its economy and grappling with the harsh reality of a huge population in desperate poverty. So, in practice, they’re unimportant.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Just to underline your point about developing economies and CO2 emissions, Robin, I think Bangladesh furnishes a very good example of what the discussion is about - there's a large coal-fired power station (1320 MW) at Rampal, scheduled to be completed in 2016, and the government is apparently planning to generate an impressive 50% of the country's electricity from coal by 2030, up from about 2% as it is now.

This is Bangladesh, the country we're always told is being washed away by climate change - and yet it is embarking on what clearly is a dash for coal.

Regarding Mary Robinson and the "Elders", a few comments back, I have a transcript of a recent interview at Ireland's RTE Radio 1, where the reporter asks for her reaction to the shale gas revolution and also the increase of coal-fired power in Europe. She replies:
https://sites.google.com/site/mytranscriptbox/home/20140721_mr

It is a short-term real problem, because coal is not acceptable any more, and it's important - you know, fracking has produced cheaper gas but it also is producing problems of methane leaking, and methane is the worst of the greenhouse gases, by far. And so it is not really a solution. What we need to do is to move rapidly to renewables. We're now talking about the need to get to zero carbon in our world by 2050, in order to stay below the 2 degrees Celsius. And we have to do that equitably. We can't afford to have energy-poor countries or energy-poor people. So we have to make sure that it's fair, and that people are able to move to the renewable energies that are becoming much cheaper. And the countries that are moving fastest to renewable energy are the countries that are going to get the jobs, going to get the investment.

Someone who talks about "zero carbon in our world by 2050" with a straight face is, I would argue, inhabiting a slightly different universe to the rest of us.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlex Cull

and another related story here from Australia, a leftist defence of the coal industry.

As for climate change, he said, “we have to do something in a way that doesn’t condemn large numbers of people in the developed world to live in poverty.”
“The growth of our industry is fundamentally tied to the alleviation of abject poverty and the successful development of emerging economies,”

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

Many thanks, Alex - especially for Mary Robinson's revealing reply to RTE Radio 1. Recently appointed by Ban Ki-moon as a "Special Envoy on Climate Change", I think Ms Robinson demonstrates the typically muddled mindset of often well-meaning officials in Western governments and the UN. On the one hand, she dreams of saving the planet by eliminating fossil fuels. But, on the other, she has a mission to eliminate world poverty. But she knows that these objectives are in practice irreconcilable: poverty elimination means affordable energy and affordable energy means fossil fuels. In other words, she's on the same "horns of a dilemma" as is Andrew Mackenzie - see Paul's interesting link above. This is illustrated by an interview about "climate justice" that Mary Robinson gave to RTCC's (Responding to Climate Change) Sophie Yeo last year. Here's an extract:

Developing economies such as China, on the other hand, will focus on their right to use fossil fuels to develop in the present as the UK and the US have done in the past, and that it is therefore up to these countries to enable them to do so.[my emphasis]
It's particularly absurd that she should specify China: a country that is by far the world's greatest GHG emitter - and whose per capita emissions are on a par with the EU's. Yet, for some reason, UN representatives seem to think it necessary to appease China. (Any suggestions as to why?) But, of course it was because China and other major "developing" economies insisted on their continuing right to exemption from binding cuts that Copenhagen failed. And here's Mary Robinson boosting the likelihood of Paris failing for precisely the same reason.

As for Bangladesh, here's a NYT article covering the same points as Alex's link. I suspect Mary Robinson would (no doubt reluctantly) approve. Here's a report on her recent visit to Bangladesh. An extract:

"The poorest people, who are not responsible for carbon emissions into the atmosphere, will be the worst hit by the devastations of climate change - but the climate change discourse has so far not been people-centred."
Yet the solution, it seems, is for countries like Bangladesh to themselves become "responsible for carbon emissions into the atmosphere". "Horns of a dilemma" indeed: her continuing campaign for "climate justice" and her new responsibility of supporting Ban Ki-moon's summit next month and the Paris talks next year would seem to be mutually exclusive.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Robin
I'm not talking about India. Or China or Bangladesh or any country with a moderately reliable system of government.
I'm talking about the poorest countries, mainly in Africa, where Greenpeace and a whole string of other NGOs, mostly the supposedly Christian charities, are moving heaven and earth to prevent anything in the way of reliable energy generation and have the clout with the people with influence to make sure it doesn't happen.These countries are not being given the choice about whether to cut or increase or anything else their "carbon emissions" which means they are not being given the choice about whether or not to "develop". They mustn't because it's bad for the planet. End of story.
I'm surprised that you dismiss great swathes of Africa out of hand. They have at least as much potential as India or Bangladesh.
Of course, the UK pressing on with its current energy policy is pointless — nobody except politicians with a "legacy" to think about (or a wife to keep happy, maybe) has ever believed otherwise. Those policies will change when the politicians realise that they are counter-productive which will only happen when they lose faith in the NGOs and the eco-activists in the science (so-called) community.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Well, Mike, you specifically mentioned “great tranches of Africa, India, China, and other currently undeveloped … parts of the world”. So, not unreasonably I suggest, I took you as saying that the developing countries might somehow be forced to curtail their CO2 emissions if Greenpeace and other West-backed NGOs got their way. Were that to happen, the proposition that’s the subject of this Discussion (Current climate policy is pointless – we need a new approach) would be undermined - see my initial post.

However, as I hope I demonstrated, there’s no remotely realistic prospect of the developing economies being so persuaded by Greenpeace et al. And therefore my proposition maintains its validity.

I wholly agree with you, however, that it’s immoral that for example many of the most vulnerable and deprived children in parts of Africa may have their hope of a better life prejudiced because comfortable people in the West – who typically staff the green NGOs – people who take reliable energy for granted, are obsessed by what they see as the need to save the planet.

Yes, that's an important subject. But it’s not the subject of this Discussion – worthy perhaps of a new one.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

The essence of this Discussion is that, as there is no prospect of a legally binding worldwide agreement to reduce GHG emissions, the UK’s current emission mitigation policies are pointless.

This article and the “online tool” to which it refers (based on “responsibility, capacity and need” and designed to calculate the emission cuts required country-by-country if a climate deal is to be “fair and effective”) is a prime example of the crazy dream world inhabited by so many “greens”.

Two examples of results of the tool’s calculations (emissions cuts required by 2020):

The UK: 94%.

China: 9.4%.

There’s little more than a year to go to the “make or break” conference in Paris. That seemingly intelligent people are now seriously proposing this absurdity as a useful basis for “a wider debate on the responsibilities of various countries” is a yet another illustration of why a meaningful agreement next year is impossible.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Robin - how many "make or break" conferences have there been? Every single one, in my recollection. They have not got a snowball in a coal-fired power plant's chance of getting what they hope for. A telling sign was the much diminished representation at the last one, with only mendicant politicians from places like Africa and the Pacific Islands in attendance. Our (Australian) government sent a few bureaucrats with no power to do anything but take notes. The caravan has well and truly moved on from Copengagen, which was a sort of Live Aid concert where all the beautiful people could be photographed together.

It is exceptionally annoying that the UN, and all the tax-hoovering delegates and hangers-on who go to these events, are largely doing it on our money. But, the good news is, there are less of them every time, and apart from motherhood statements, politicians and the public are losing interest.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM | Registered Commenterjohanna

You may be premature with your "good news", johanna. According to this, the French Foreign Minister expects "between 40,000 and 50,000 people from 195 countries" to attend the UN Paris conference next year. Copenhagen, it seems, attracted a mere 26,600.

So Paris is expected to be something special. Which makes it particularly weird that Ban Ki-moon has just appointed Mary Robinson as a "Special Envoy on Climate Change" when Mrs Robinson endorses a position that would guarantee the Conference's failure. Here's an extract from a report on an interview she gave last year:

Developing economies such as China, on the other hand, will focus on their right to use fossil fuels to develop in the present as the UK and the US have done in the past, and that it is therefore up to these countries to enable them to do so.

She's right of course. But I wonder how she'd explain her position to Greenpeace which is adamant that, under the 2015 agreement, "Governments must deliver a Protocol under which all countries take on binding emissions reduction commitments."

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Given the state of the French economy, perhaps the French Foreign Minister is hoping that a few thousand crusties will boost the stats. But, politicians have never boosted numbers and dollars from subsidised events, have they?

Look, I bet that all the delegates and hangers-on are thrilled that it's in Paris. Sure beats Tierra Del Feugo (where, strangely enough, they never go) - Zappa fans know what I mean.

Mate, every one of them was supposed to be something special. It's not going to happen.

Oh, and can I just present my compliments and let you know that I am a huge admirer of the work that you have done over the years.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM | Registered Commenterjohanna

That's very kind, johanna - thanks. Too bad it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere : (

Yes, they're all special. And the Copenhagen conference was specially special. Referring to it, Tom Burke told the Royal Society that 2009 was "the most important year in human history". And, not going quite as far, Gordon Brown said:

Copenhagen is poised to achieve a profound historical transformation: reversing the road we have travelled for 200 years.
(As Rupert Darwell commented, "Quite why it should make sense to turn the clock back to the beginning of the nineteenth century, Brown didn't say.")

Paris has not, I think, attracted quite so much hype**. Indeed, Sir David King (ex UK chief government scientist) and noted for his view that "Climate change is not ... the biggest challenge of our time, it's the biggest challenge of all time", has described this year's Lima conference as,

in many ways more important than next year's Paris Summit as it has to deliver the groundwork for a scheduled agreement in 2015.
Hmm ... we'll see.

And there are some greens who are wholly pessimistic: see THIS. Yes, they predict a "turning point" in 2015: but, by that, they mean an agreement that will allow for increased emissions, a "Copenhagen Mark II". It's a change to see green realism.

PS: ** Oh no - I forgot Prince Charles. How could I do such a thing? At a conference last May, having referred to Paris as "a pivotal moment in history", he said:

Over the next eighteen months ... the world faces what is probably the last effective window of opportunity to vacate the insidious lure of the ‘last chance saloon’ in order to agree an ambitious, equitable and far-sighted multilateral settlement ... Either we continue along the path we seem collectively determined to follow ... or we can choose to act now before it is finally too late …

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Those are great quotes Robin. I especially appreciate the ones from Tom Burke and Gordon Brown in 2009. Listen to them then compare what intelligent sceptics or lukewarmers were saying that year. Pennies will eventually drop. And as I write this my mother has just switched the television on and they're singing "Oh Happy Day"!

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Robin, au contraire, things have changed a great deal, in no small part to the work of people like you.

Here in Australia, despite fervent resistance, the Green juggernaut is slowing down, and quite a few of its baubles have been removed. All over the EU, subsidies are being removed. In the US, true environmentalists are disgusted with windmills and solar panels. No-one supports mowing down rainforests to grow biodiesels any more, not even Greenpeace.

Please, don't be so hard on yourself. And, please, don't become a fanatic. It's not all up to you. :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:13 PM | Registered Commenterjohanna

Well, yes johanna, we're seeing a lot of progress. But my focus has - for years - been on a very narrow front: that there's no point in taking expensive and damaging mitigation action if most countries responsible for emissions have no intention of doing so also. And, on that front, progress is, if any, almost non-existent.

You may be interested that that focus stemmed from an exchange I had on 11th January 2008 with a "Mr Fnortner". It was part of an extraordinary thread that followed an article by David Whitehouse (about what's now called "the pause") in the New Statesman. I had been pontificating about how "we" should do this and "we" should do that. Mr F quietly responded as follows:

... I was wondering who the "we" was you used in your question. Certainly it wasn't the royal "we" (we are not amused) or the medical "we" (how are we feeling today?), so you must mean someone who could possibly act and carry out the solution. Who is that, exactly?
My reply:
I’m chastened that you have caught me using sloppy phrasing. I’ve no idea who “we” is: I shouldn’t have used it. There is no “we” with the authority to impose any perceived “solution” on the world.
I developed my position from that. I've no idea who Mr Fnortner is, nor have I had any further contact with him. But I'm grateful to him.

PS: good advice about not becoming a fanatic. I'll do my best.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

RG, as and aside: “Oh no - I forgot Prince Charles. How could I do such a thing? I recognise the game the quote is inspired by; good game, too, and one I still Settle down to indulge in…

Good discussion as well, by the way.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:38 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Robin - but, there has been progress on the "narrow front" that you describe!

Australia has abolished the Carbon Tax. Kyoto is dead. The reduction in "renewable" power subsidies which is happening all over Europe (and has also happened here) is precisely along the lines of not wasting money on pointless mitigation strategies, surely?

True, these are baby steps, but at least the infant is tottering in the right direction.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:44 AM | Registered Commenterjohanna

I agree with johanna's metaphor. The general direction is away from pointless policies but it's stumbling and inconsistent. The EU and UN levels continue to need a massive clearout. They're the evil nannies I guess.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:27 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

johanna (and Richard): I agree that there are some (albeit rather small) moves away from pointless policies. But these things have happened for reasons other than that on which I’m trying to get some focus: “there's no point in taking expensive and damaging mitigation action if most countries responsible for emissions have no intention of doing so also”. I believe that’s a simple and powerful argument. And it’s hardly being deployed at all. In other words, as I said on Saturday, it doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:25 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

johanna/Richard - here's an example of what I mean.

Last week (Thursday) I posted on Unthreaded a link to a report on the Chinese Academy of Sciences website entitled, High Correlations between Solar Activity and the Earth's Averaged Surface Temperature Proved by NSSC (China's National Space Science Center) Scientists. Here's what the CAS said about it:

Global warming, namely the unequivocal and continuing rise in Earth’s climate, is one of the hottest and most debatable issue at the present time. As a scientific intergovernmental and international body under the auspices of the United Nations (UN), the intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) once claimed that the release of the anthropogenic greenhouse gases contributed to as much as 90% or even higher of the observed increase in the global average temperature in the past 50 years. However, worldwide scientists are still skeptical and debate on the possible explanation of the global warming never ends. Research shows that the IPCC’s model tends to underestimate the impact of natural factors on the climate change, while overestimate that of the human activities. ... These results, as pointed out by a peer reviewer, provide a possible explanation for the global warming. [My emphases]

Had the Royal Society made such a comment, there would have been excited uproar. Yet here was China's science academy - and remember China's pivotal role in current climate negotiations - making these extraordinary statements. And no one seemed interested.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Robin - that's because it is not, and has never been, about science. It's about politics. And the first rule of politics is to ignore what they say and watch very closely what they actually do.

Your point about the insignificant impact of mitigation strategies when countries like China and India are going full steam ahead was exactly the rationale for abolishing the carbon dioxide tax in Australia. It was what the Coalition told the punters before the election, and what the punters voted for, and what subsequently was implemented with broad public support. Next cab off the rank is the Renewable Energy Target, which is being reviewed - and not with a view to increasing it, either.

All over the world, politicians are still making motherhood statements, but if anything, they are simultaneously winding back or postponing carbon dioxide taxes, subsidies for renewables, and ever-ratcheting RETs. Never mind what they say - watch what they do! :)

Note also that the pleas of mendicant States for gazillions of dollars to "tackle climate change" are falling on deaf ears, despite sympathetic noises from the rich countries. The $100 billion kitty that was supposed to be created for this purpose is largely empty.

There is still a long way to go, but IMO the tide has turned. Cheer up, and keep up the good work!

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM | Registered Commenterjohanna

Your "first rule of politics" is spot on, johanna. Like you I think, I’ve worked in the public sector (for a short time when I was brought in from the private sector to sort out and run an agency reporting to the UK Cabinet Office) and I’ve observed the rule in practice. And I agree that a handful of Western politicians are beginning to understand that their policies are damaging and, in view of the international position, probably ineffective – hence the withdrawal of subsidies etc. But Tony Abbott, I think, is the only one who’s actually doing anything radical about it

But I'm not referring here to politicians. My concern is the campaigners who are trying to persuade governments to change policy - i.e. the good guys. Their concerns, focus and energies are still devoted almost entirely to the science. Perhaps they are beginning to get somewhere, but it's a slow process as they are thwarted at every step by insult, appeals to authority, a hostile MSM, pundit attitudes etc. A better approach is probably to focus on the disadvantages and ineffectiveness of "renewables" - see Mike Kelly's recent talk and the Bish's current blog post. It's better because these problems arise irrespective of the scientific arguments and therefore avoid most of the insult and hostility. The trouble, however, is that it's a complicated message to get over: and complexity is the enemy of communication. But the message that countries responsible for at least 70% of emissions are not interested in mitigation - unless it's by someone else – is simple to communicate and virtually impossible to refute. Moreover insult and hostility are useless defences.

Yet few campaigners seem at all interested in the potential of that message. See, for example, my brief exchange with Phillip Bratby (unquestionably one of the good guys) on Unthreaded this morning (9:00 AM – 11:23 AM). That’s what I meant when I said that my efforts don’t seem to be getting anywhere.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Sorry if I'm interrupting a debate. I need some feedback on an idea.

For years I have felt that there is something wrong with the GHG concept. Now I think I have figured it out, but the answer is so simple that there must be a huge flaw in my thinking. See what you think.

Greenhouse gas theory is wrong.

It is based on the idea that incoming and outgoing radiation is in equilibrium. That means we emit what we receive and that equates to a black body radiator at -18 Celsius. Observation tells us that we enjoy a warmer 15 Celsius and the difference is the greenhouse effect.

The last 6 words contain the mistaken belief.

The black body radiation from our planet lies in the IR part of the electromagnetic spectrum so we emit IR photons to space. Consider for a moment, an IR photon approaching the earth. The photon travels through space, then the upper atmosphere, but as it starts passing through the lower atmosphere it encounters the greenhouse gases, mainly water vapour. It encounters liquid water too in the form of clouds.

Water, in all its phases, absorbs IR photons. It is opaque to IR. As far as the incoming photon is concerned it has reached the surface of earth. Now, about 95% of water or water vapour is contained within about 5km of atmosphere, so the effective surface as far as IR is concerned is at an altitude of 5km.

Now consider black body radiation from the surface of the earth. The GHG concentration there makes this concept meaningless because the atmosphere is opaque. As we saw above, the surface of the earth as far as an IR photon is concerned is at an altitude of about 5km. So the outgoing radiation is emitted from the effective surface at an altitude of about 5km.

Due to the lapse rate, the temperature at that altitude is about -18 Celsius and that is in good agreement with the calculated temperature of the black body.

Meanwhile, down near sea level, we are enjoying the 15 Celsius that resulted from visible solar radiation heating the surface. Luckily for us, the atmosphere and its GH gases are transparent to solar radiation.

If we had no greenhouse gases, then the atmosphere would be transparent to IR and the black body radiative surface would coincide with the actual surface and the black body temperature would be 15 degrees Celsius.

So the greenhouse warming effect does not exist. The greenhouse gases simply determine the altitude at which IR radiation becomes possible and the lapse rate determines the black body temperature at that altitude.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM | Unregistered CommenterSchjrodinger's Cat

SC - why not start your own discussion thread and not derail Robin's? Probably few people potentially interested in your question are going to find it here anyway.

I'm interested in the discussion - but not on this thread.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

My apologies

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterSchjrodinger's Cat

Thanks, Martin. And apologies accepted, SC.

That could be an interesting new Discussion - although way outside my skill set.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:58 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier