Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Why Do Climate Scientists Believe That There's a Debate To Be Had

Martin A:

But, so far as I can tell, the whole thing was presented as established beyond all doubt ("the science is settled", to coin a phrase) from the start.

Sorry to butt in but it is incredibly important that Al Gore was treating CAGW as settled science in 1988, talking down an economist, in front of others at a Washington lunch, making clear to all present that this man was wrong to question any detail of the doctrine that had already been passed down. In 1988.

Even if Richard Lindzen's reaction to this was highly deficient - and TBYJ would have done so much better, if only he had been the one to whom the economist had written - Lindzen's testimony is crucial. The CAGW monster came out of the sea fully formed. (Forgive the apocalyptic imagery but what else does one use?) The science was settled before it had even once been discussed, let alone been given a protracted going over: peer review, audit and all.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

...There is a lot of misguided discussion about whether or not it heats things

Some statements that it does so coming from 'climate scientists' in their attempts to explain AGW, which makes us suspect don't know what they are talking about.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin,

I was just giving a few ways that AGW could be falsified and that sceptics continually try to use for that purpose. I didn't say they were true - how could I?

> Huh? Back radiation exists. People who say it does not
exist are - shall we say - lacking an understanding of
elementary physics.

It is a sceptic staple as far as I can see. I've seen discussions of this in various sceptics places. You might not like it, but that changes nothing.

> Simon's point was, as I understood what he was saying,
that when the AGW due to human released CO2 was announced
to the world, the people who formulated should have
said

That would be Arrhenius would it?

> As Simon said "... climate scientists who do study the
subject have failed to advance into testable, falsifiable
theory".

So in what way is it not falsifiable? I've suggested a few ways and sceptics constantly suggest more. What more is it that you want?

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra writes

It is a sceptic staple as far as I can see. I've seen discussions of this in various sceptics places. You might not like it, but that changes nothing.

I think a few citations with links is the least you should do here, please. You appear to be broad-brush painting sceptics with suspiciously vague and unspecific accusations.

I'm going to start pressing you to substantiate them with specifics, since you do in fact do this most of the time.

So, Chandra, do you believe in God?

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

Chandra,

We did have a reasonable dialogue and certainly don't feel we alienated each other in any way. My question above, I felt, was also reasonable.

I will gently ask it again.

Can you please provide me with a sense of your level of science education? It for me is to gauge your familiarity with scientific methodology. Nothing more.

I perform a very significant amount of teaching in my work and this knowledge of your depth of understanding would allow me to gauge where to pitch my own questions?

I hope that makes some sense to you. There is NO point scoring at work here. I would ask the audience to please respect this approach too.

You cannot have felt other than comfortable with me Chandra (no Rodent, not as toy-boy even!) and part of you I would hope can see that greater understanding all round can only strengthen your own ego-structures.

Please Chandra. Would you kindly clarify?

Andy

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM | Unregistered Commenterjones

"People like me have to depend upon authority. I can't work out for myself whether what you say about CO2 is true. I just can't. But I can read that textbooks and seemingly everyone bar a few disagrees with you. I would be stupid to believe you and not them."

http://www.bishop-hill.net/discussion/post/2290112

Chandra - You said "Did I understand you correctly? Are you really saying that the planet is no warmer for the CO2 in its atmosphere?"

Please re-read my words and see if I said anything even remotely like that.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:06 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I wonder if a simple refresh of pivotal points of note is useful at this juncture. It's possible that the conflation which leads Chandra from Arrhenius to climate doom is because of a lack of understanding of which term is what.

Arrhenius established that, if you double the amount of ambient CO2 in a controlled atmosphere, the temperature of the atmosphere will increase by about 1.2 C.

Quite simple.This bags the important part of greenhouse gas theory. If you accept Arrhenius' proposition, you implicitly accept GHG theory.

If you accept that man contributes to atmospheric CO2 and you accept GHG theory, you're implicitly accepting AGW as a reality. There's nothing here, so far, to use as a "denial" stick to beat anyone with.

Man's contribution to the total greenhouse gases in the atmosphere including water vapour, methane, CO2 and others is <0.3%. If you exclude water vapour from the calculation, you finish up with ~5.5% of all greenhouse gases. But that only produces a larger number by breaking with the reality. Water vapour is the reality, it is the primary GHG and man is only responsible for ~0.001% of it.

So, taking these numbers based on reality, it's over to anyone who can establish a scientifically substantiated basis for the leap from the above, which is the basis of AGW, to CAGW - Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming - because AGW by itself isn't scary, it isn't catastrophic and it isn't a reasonable basis for CO2 mitigation policies.

To make the case for action to counter CAGW you must first establish its existence. To use my lovely religious parallel (as is appropriate, as always! ;-) ), to justify interpreting the will of God and appeasing Him with sacrificial offerings, you necessarily must first establish God's existence.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

To correct a previous misspeak of mine, I agree that CO2 is not literally a "warming gas." It is an energy-retentive gas. The sun warms the earth, CO2 merely retains a small amount of that warmth.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

"It is an energy-retentive gas. " Even that would be misleading to anyone who did not fully understand your last statement.

Only a short step from your sentence to Dr Willet stating, with a straight face 'CO2 traps heat".

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartin A

Well indeed. How, in layman's terms does one describe a greenhouse gas? "Sharper inhale; slower exhale?"

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:30 PM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

Simon, for citations just search these pages for mdgnn, I'm not doing it for you. And consider the fact that whenever "radiative physics" comes up the Bishop asks that it be taken to the discussion forum. It has been discussed so much that he has tired of it.

What is your preccupation with religion? I see it as being irrelevant here and will not enter into a discussion.

Also, thanks for your handy summary, although I don't see the significance of your percentages to your argument. As I understand it, you are prepared to accept the basic correctness of Arrhenius that a doubling of CO2 will cause only about a 1.2C rise in temperature; you consider 1.2C to be harmless; and you do not accept that any mechanism has been shown to exist that would case a further rise (for a doubling of CO2). Did I understand you correctly?

Jones, I have no scientific background beyond high school. Happy now? Cue the journalist types on the blog accusing me of scientific illiteracy, to go with my economic illiteracy.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Simon, for citations just search these pages for mdgnn, I'm not doing it for you.

After a few moments trying to work out what the hell "mdgnn" could possibly mean, I realised. I also realised that the visitor MDGNN is neither representative of sceptics, nor are his views unchallenged in the comment pages here at Bishop Hill. This is exactly how you dodge and shirk your obligations as a participant in these discussions, Chandra.

Unless you're willing to substantiate your claims properly, your arguments have no more merit than "It's not common knowledge but this bloke down the pub told me.." So if you don't want to be called a troll, stop explicitly defining yourself as one.

And consider the fact that whenever "radiative physics" comes up the Bishop asks that it be taken to the discussion forum. It has been discussed so much that he has tired of it.

We're in the discussion forum. Is this another non-issue issue of yours?

What is your preccupation with religion? I see it as being irrelevant here and will not enter into a discussion.

I think I've been quite clear. The parallels between your beliefs about the impending doom of global warming is indistinguishable from the machinations of all other major, and many minor, religions. Why the reticence, Chandra? Ask yourself why.

I spend my time in comment pages honestly answering and asking questions, making observations and interacting, without EVER having to guard against being caught in a web of misdirection, or needing to dig myself out with sophistry or vague allusions. Conversely, these are things you incessantly are found indulging in. Doesn't it give you pause to consider that maybe the reason you have to resort to logical fallacies to add veneer to your arguments is because your arguments are poor?

At least I'm honest.

Also, thanks for your handy summary, although I don't see the significance of your percentages to your argument. As I understand it, you are prepared to accept the basic correctness of Arrhenius that a doubling of CO2 will cause only about a 1.2C rise in temperature; you consider 1.2C to be harmless; and you do not accept that any mechanism has been shown to exist that would case a further rise (for a doubling of CO2). Did I understand you correctly?

You're welcome. The percentages are what they are. Why would you have an issue with them? Or do you have different percentages? If so, do share. Unless you got them from some bloke down the pub, of course.

All the questions you've asked have been well answered. I don't think there is scientific/economic disagreement in principle that warming of <=2 degrees C is broadly net beneficial. Do you have some basis for disputing this congruent figure?

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

Jones, I have no scientific background beyond high school. Happy now? Cue the journalist types on the blog accusing me of scientific illiteracy, to go with my economic illiteracy.

I doubt Jones will have an issue with your high school science education. As he pointed out, the question was for information, nothing more.

Global warming is a matter for ordinary people to decide upon, since we're the ones who will be paying for any mitigation or adaptation policies. Handsomely, as it turns out. I argue that we are jurors in a trial which takes evidence from expert witnesses, and we determine how much trust we place in them, assess their veracity, and find accordingly. We don't need anything more than to be provided the evidence on which we can draw our conclusions.

As jurors, of course, I argue that we are right to demand to SEE the evidence and demand that it not be tampered with, misrepresented or distorted. As you must be aware by now, this continues to be a bone of contention for sceptics. You may be willing to trust an expert witness who hides, distorts or even destroys evidence. I suggest you'll struggle to find a sceptic who trusts the veracity of any expert witnesses who have demonstrated corruption in this way, though.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

Simon, I can well understand your desire to disown the radiative physics sceptics such as mdgnn. They do seem to be total cranks. Are there other parts of the broader climate sceptic world that you disown when presenting your preferred narrow scepticism as the whole of scepticism? Do you disown the ones that think climate science is a hoax? Or those who think the earth is cooling, not warming? Or those who think cosmic rays are the cause of recent warming? I could go in but it would be easier if you were just to identify who and what you consider bonafide sceptics. What are the necessary views?

> The percentages are what they are. Why would you
have an issue with them?

I have no interest in them, and I don't see why they influence Arrhenius' work or modern conclusions from that work. That is why I said, "I don't see the significance of your percentages to your argument". You have enlightened me no further.

> All the questions you've asked have been well answered.

Really? I must have missed it. For the benefit of the discussion can we take it that you accept the basic correctness of Arrhenius that a doubling of CO2 will cause only about a 1.2C rise in temperature; that you think a 1.2C rise will be harmless; and that you do not accept that any mechanism has been shown to exist that would case a further rise (for a doubling of CO2)?

> I don't think there is scientific/economic disagreement in
principle that warming of <=2 degrees C is broadly net
beneficial. Do you have some basis for disputing this
congruent figure?

I think nobody knows that with any certainty. I certainly don't take Tol's meta-analysis very seriously as it relies almost entirely on the results for 1C warming in his 2002 study for the shape of the resulting curve.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra

I not only genuinely thank you for that response but your "stock" truly has just shot up in my eyes.

You are far far braver than the usual commentator who might grace these pages with some snide comment or other or a real attempt at trolling. I have not categorised you such and am convinced of my own view.

You choose to enter an arena where there are, lets face it, some VERY knowledgable people indeed which will naturally generate an anxiety in you and yet continue to fight your corner...That shows real strength of character.

The fact that I happen to think you are wrong in your view does not make me necessarily correct..I may be just as wrong as i think you are....but so what?

With respect to scientific " illiteracy" as you put it the blunt truth is that in this specific area I am almost as " illiterate" as you are. Your view is still to be respected. History is replete with highly respected and VERY scientifically literate people also making a complete pigs ear of even their own fields!

Simon makes some most excellent points above. Please consider them as best you can.

Economic illiteracy? Me too in exactly equal measure Chandra. I'm a "wet-and-bubbly science" man not a financial adviser!!!

I was educated beyond high school science only at the age of thirty so you have little to feel vulnerable with there.

Although I will continue to think that your position will not stand the test of time I do not think you will be too scarred by such.

I will still ask that you really try to not feel too provoked in these pages but keep arguing as best you can and retain always a significant streak of doubt as to what you currently hold true. That would also serve you well in the future.

Cheers

Andy

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterJones

Chandra, how can you have no interest in the percentages when they're so informative and crucial to the AGW vs CAGW debate? It's all rather nuts 'n' bolts stuff. Is this the kind of detail that gets in the way of driving forward needless, expensive and futile climate policies? Yes, I suppose it is. What a bummer.

Simon, I can well understand your desire to disown the radiative physics sceptics such as mdgnn. They do seem to be total cranks. Are there other parts of the broader climate sceptic world that you disown when presenting your preferred narrow scepticism as the whole of scepticism? Do you disown the ones that think climate science is a hoax? Or those who think the earth is cooling, not warming? Or those who think cosmic rays are the cause of recent warming? I could go in but it would be easier if you were just to identify who and what you consider bonafide sceptics. What are the necessary views?

I have no desire or need to vilify or disown anyone. You have a conveniently short memory, Chandra. My response was to your deliberately broad-brush guilt-by-association strawman/insult of sceptics. The more you practice this, the more compelling and attractive you make sceptical arguments. Just FYI.

Really? I must have missed it. For the benefit of the discussion can we take it that you accept the basic correctness of Arrhenius that a doubling of CO2 will cause only about a 1.2C rise in temperature; that you think a 1.2C rise will be harmless; and that you do not accept that any mechanism has been shown to exist that would case a further rise (for a doubling of CO2)?

Yes, apparently you did miss it. But it's there, so go read it.

NO mechanism has been "shown to exist that would [cause] a further rise" because none have been presented. I am not closed to the possibility (i.e. I am agnostic) but, within the constraints of the scientific method, none have been advanced into testable theory. This is all a bit deja vu. Hey ho.

I also said the same to Entropic Man and invited him to provide any scientific evidence to show that dangerous climate change was a genuine risk. I'm still waiting. Can you do better?

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

To stick up for MDGNN, I think it's wrong to write him off as a radiative crank like the Dragon Slayers.

Admittedly he does tend to bang on about whatever it is he bangs on about and admittedly nobody seems to have managed to make out what he's on about, which is not a good sign. Maybe I have not tried hard enough to make out what he says, but I don't remember seeing anything that was obviously rubbish - just incomprehensible.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Simon, I did not mean to imply that all percentages are of no interest to me, just those you quoted, which seem to have no relevance to the discussion.

> I have no desire or need to vilify or disown anyone.

No of course not. And so as the radiative sceptics are a part of the sceptic firmament, their arguments are a sceptic staple, as I said.

> NO mechanism has been ...

I seem to remember reading about water vapour feedbacks, methane feedbacks and feedbacks from changes in albedo through ice loss. These seem to fit the bill. We are of course currently testing these on a planetary scale, which is arguably rather a silly thing to do. Rather like testing in a lab where the lab itself might be damaged by the experiment. But at least one can build a new lab.

I am guessing that this obvious current testing phase is not acceptable to you. You want a test that can show the results of a planetary-scale experiment, with planetary time scales but that can give you the result you want in a politically relevant time frame. In that quest you are probably going to be disappointed.

But it sounds vaguely feasible to test the albedo feedback to a first approximation - you just need an environment where you can vary the albedo and see whether more heat is absorbed. A suitable water-based comet or moon would suffice if we could arrange to instrument it and then spray half of it black to see what effect that had. A nice project for an inventive engineer, but funding might be a problem - after all I imagine the result is already known with fairly high probability so the project might seem frivolous.

I guess we could imagine doing the same for the methane feedback if we can create or find a suitable planetoid with sufficient frozen methane. We could arrange for the methane to be gradually melted and see whether this raised the temperature of the planetoid and see how much methane we needed to melt in order to raise the temperature sufficiently high to make the process self sustaining. Of course funding would again be a problem, again because we almost certainly can model this accurately and know the result already.

But anyway, there are some early ideas for you from a scientific illiterate. I imagine those with science degrees can do better, assuming they also have imagination. As you know falsification strategies for hypotheses do not need to be practicable for the hypothesis to be widely accepted - evidence some of Einstein's predictions only becoming testable in recent decades .

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

By the way, I'm sad that you didn't discuss Tol's meta study. I would have been interested in your defence of it.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Martin A, I think you are correct. I believe MDGNN has significant industrial experience of taking IR measurements and building devices to do so. Most of what he says makes sense to me.

But he tends to fall down by 1) leaping ahead with the argument and losing his audience 2) Using terminology that is unfamiliar to the audience, and later appears to change, and 3) Repeating his main point so often that people get irritated he gets comments snipped and becomes frustrated. All common problems in 'communicating science', I guess.

Like other people, I wish he would get a blog and lay out his ideas coherently so that interested readers can ask detailed questions, because I think his points merit consideration.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

I seem to remember reading about water vapour feedbacks, methane feedbacks and feedbacks from changes in albedo through ice loss. These seem to fit the bill. We are of course currently testing these on a planetary scale, which is arguably rather a silly thing to do. Rather like testing in a lab where the lab itself might be damaged by the experiment. But at least one can build a new lab.

Yes, they're called "tipping points". However, these "tipping points" which have been hypothesised, despite dire warnings, haven't materialised. Even the IPCC has walked away from them. But if you wish to cling to them regardless, that's your call.

I am guessing that this obvious current testing phase is not acceptable to you. You want a test that can show the results of a planetary-scale experiment, with planetary time scales but that can give you the result you want in a politically relevant time frame. In that quest you are probably going to be disappointed.

I don't disagree with the thrust of your point. But if what you say is true then climate science isn't a "science" in any normal sense of the word. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways. Sorry.

By the way, I'm sad that you didn't discuss Tol's meta study. I would have been interested in your defence of it.

Ahh well. I'm disappointed you won't answer a simple question about God. Such is life, we'll both survive.

I found Matt Ridley's assessment of Tol's analysis well reasoned and convincing. I haven't seen anything to counter it which is at all compelling. But as always, if you have one such good source then please share. But do make it a good source or what's the point, eh?

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:44 AM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

We have been told that Arctic ice melt was 30 years ahead of the models from 2007 so we're 30 years into the ice tipping point. When it comes to methane trapped either in the permafrost or the hydrates under water the research papers alternately predict catastrophe, not going to happen or already happening and it hasn't had an effect. The recent IPCC report didn't promote the idea.

http://joannenova.com.au/2013/10/ipcc-says-abrupt-irreversible-clathrate-methane-ice-sheet-collapse-are-unlikely-or-unknown/

The water vaour feedback idea is not working well either since the atmosphere has partly done the opposite to the predictions.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/06/nasa-satellite-data-shows-a-decline-in-water-vapor/

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Simon,

> Yes, they're called "tipping points".

No, "water vapour feedbacks, methane feedbacks and feedbacks from changes in albedo through ice loss" are not called tipping points, they are called feedbacks. There's a hint in the word 'feedback' in each one. Tipping points as a result of some feedbacks have been hypothesised.

> But if what you say is true then climate science isn't a
"science" in any normal sense of the word.

As I said, there are ways that the feedbacks can be tested. They might be impractical with current technology and they might take a long time. But they are clearly testable. Or we can just think about it: does ice reflect more than water, do rising temperatures cause a loss of ice and does less ice mean the oceans will absorb more heat and does that mean that ice loss will result in more warming and hence more ice loss? Or, will temperature rises that melt permafrost release any trapped methane and also result in decomposition of exposed soils, is methane a greenhouse gas and so will permafrost loss cause the emitssion of extra methane or CO2 and hence extra temperature rise and permafrost loss? These feedbacks seem quite clearly present, although it is doubtless difficult to quantify them. Whether there are tipping points somewhere along the way is irrelevant to whether there are known feedbacks.

> I found Matt Ridley's assessment of Tol's analysis well
reasoned and convincing. I haven't seen anything to
counter it which is at all compelling.

So as I have said elsewhere, Tol's graph (shown on one of the recent BH blog posts) consists of 14 data points from various studies. 3 of these are positive (net gains from warming) and the rest are negative. Only one of the three is significantly positive, Tol's 2002 study at 1C. So the nice curve plotted by Tol between the various data points relies entirely on his 2002 study for giving it an initial rise (gains from warming). Do you normally accept graphs as good evidence when they would look quite different after the removal of a single data point? It is a silly question I know, as all of the graphs of temperatures where sceptics rely on the change since 1998 would look quite different if that single data point were removed. Conclusion: sceptics only require a single data point in their favour to be completely credulous of the resulting graph...

TinyCO2, as you might imagine, I don't really believe anything written on Nova or Watts sites is not either a partial reporting of the facts, a misunderstanding, an outright fabrication or a combination of the three. Just like you probably don't believe SkS, RealClimate or Tamino etc. Just for balance here's an SkS link on humidity:

http://skepticalscience.com/humidity-global-warming.htm

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

That should have been this link

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

No, "water vapour feedbacks, methane feedbacks and feedbacks from changes in albedo through ice loss" are not called tipping points, they are called feedbacks.

Chandra, the feedbacks you're referring to are, in common parlance, frequently referred to as tipping points. It is on these that a logarithmic (diminishing return) effect of increases in atmospheric CO2 is converted into the much vaunted, never seen, "runaway global warming." A bit like God, really. Did you say you have a god, Chandra? I forget.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM | Registered CommenterSimon Hopkinson