Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Pub meet with Donna Laframboise in London 28 Jan

As you probably know, Donna Laframboise has been invited to give evidence to the Energy and Climate Change Select Committee for their inquiry about the IPCC report.

Donna contacted me about her visit, and we agreed to try to organize a pub meet while she is here. The best day for her is Tuesday 28 January, early evening, on the same day as her evidence session.

I’m no expert on London pubs and would be grateful for your suggestions, and also an indication of how many people might like to come. That would help me decide whether it would be worth trying to book a room.

I wondered about the Gloucester, 187 Sloane Street, SW1X 9QR, close to Knightsbridge tube station. I don’t know it personally but found it online. It seems to have good reviews on Tripadvisor. The menu seems reasonably priced for London (NB the website takes you first to the Kids Menu!).

I phoned the Gloucester today, and heard that they have three ‘bookable spaces’, which are free of charge to book – but they would like to have an indication of numbers. The spaces have informal seating (sofas etc) and/or restaurant-style tables. I got the impression that each ‘space’ would be fine for about 15-20 people. The spaces are not the rooms shown on their website, which are somewhere else entirely, but are just parts of the pub and people can come and go.

Anyway, if it sounds like enough people are interested, I’d be happy to book something there, or please let me know if you have another suggestion. In any case, note the date, Tuesday 28 Jan, from 6 pm!

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM | Registered CommenterRuth Dixon

1. Didn't know that. 2. I'll be there.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I regret that I can't make it. I will be researching temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Excellent. I will do my very best to come (97% certain). Thanks Ruth!

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM | Unregistered CommenterLatimer Alder

I'm a possible, if I can rearrange a few things.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterCumbrian Lad

I expect to be there. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Would love to but can't. Give her a big hug from me tho'!

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterJeremy Poynton

I'll be there with Ruth of course.

In other news Donna is appealing for donations to fund her trip; I guess the big oil funds have once again failed to turn up on time.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM | Registered CommenterJonathan Jones

Donation sent via PayPal. Look forward to meeting Donna.

Suggest a bit of Twittering might raise awareness of her visit among the wider public too. Many follow on Twitter who don't read BH.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM | Unregistered CommenterLatimer Alder

Donation made.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:16 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Thanks for your replies - I've booked some space at the Gloucester, 187 Sloane Street, SW1X 9QR (details above) - from 6 pm on Tuesday 28 January.

Hope to see lots of people there! Feel free to post here or to email me to confirm attendance - if less than about 10 I'll have to let the pub know.

Good idea, Latimer, I will tweet it too.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM | Registered CommenterRuth Dixon

I'm going to try to be there.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

With much regret, I won't be able to make it. Can someone buy Donna a malt for me? iirc she is partial to bourbon but while she is on this side of the Atlantic a Bunnahabhain or Highland Park would be more appropriate.

Any chance of a pub meet in Edinburgh or Glasgow sometime?

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM | Registered Commenterlapogus

Should be able to make this, although I am busy in the afternoon so depends a little on how quickly I can get into London - I'd say ~80% likely to make it...

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterSpence_UK

Hope to be there; pencilled it into my diary.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlex Cull

I'd love to be there, but I think it would mean crossing the parish boundary. We farmers don't get out much. Will Oi need moi passport?

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM | Unregistered CommenterCharlie Flindt

Charlie, it's SW1 so I'm afraid you will. In fact, coming from south east London, so will I.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Donation made.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterPeter B

Burgundy's a bit far from London just for a evening's bevvying — even given the prestige of the guest of honour.
But please give her my best wishes and have a jolly time.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Pleased to say, I'm now a definite yes. See you all there.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterCumbrian Lad

I'm a bit late, but I'd love to attend if there's still room.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterKevin Lohse

I think there's plenty of room! The pub seemed quite relaxed that I couldn't say exactly how many people might turn up.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM | Registered CommenterRuth Dixon

I'd love to be there, but unfortunately I will be enduring the disappearing snow of the Alps.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM | Registered CommenterPatagon

I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterDonna Laframboise

am 90/10 in

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM | Registered Commenteromnologos