Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Real names or pseudonyms?

Richard

Can I take that as a statement that you prefer to derail other threads rather than post your opinions here?

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Bummer >.<

consensus

There goes all my credibility hehe

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I say chaps, can we keep this discussion a bit more civilised and friendly, please?

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

Paul

I have tried to be totally civilised and am merely following the lead given by His Grace, there is a discussion thread here about anonymity and I am asking Richard to use it.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:18 AM | Registered CommenterDung

Richard

You posted yet again in a current thread:

It has been alleged that I am unable to appreciate comments anywhere from those failing to use their real names. As a single counter-example, let me offer #57 from Guido's:

Tut tut old bean, stick to the truth what what?

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Bish
Orlowski - why 28gate matters
Lest you miss it:

Following your numerous requests to stop discussing pseudonyms and stop making personal comments Richard Drake made the following comments today 191112

"But the full paragraph from the article is:

It's a fact that greenhouse gases, predominantly water vapour, keep the Earth from being hostile and cold; that CO2 albeit in trace quantities is also a greenhouse gas and therefore helps keep the planet warm; and that industrial society increases the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. This is largely unquestioned.

I think the 'largely unquestioned' is fair. The fact that AlecM and a myriad of similar-minded nyms are bound to disagree I'm not certain adds much light."

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Dung - as they told you in primary school, stop telling tales.

And anyway RD's purported comment seems to be neither a personal comment nor a discussion of pseudonyms. If he had used the term "commenters", I don't think it would have changed anything.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterBig Oil

Big Oil

No comment

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Big Oil

No comment

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM | Dung>>>>

It seems the glorified computer programmer is now a climate scientist happy to rubbish the scientific opinions of others.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

Is this sniping or bickering? Either way I hope it is more fun for the participants than it is for the onlooker.

* I enjoy comments elsewhere from all of the protagonists here. But it's a shame this has become just a leeeeetle bit snarky. This is the last from me on this subject.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Rhoda

I am truly disappointed that you of all people are taking that view. I am forbidden by his grace from making comments about Pseuds or personal comments about other contributors to BH. I am following his advice but someone else is still spreading his poison. For the record I am not enjoying this one bit but I AM seeking fair play.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Rhoda

I am truly disappointed that you of all people are taking that view. I am forbidden by his grace from making comments about Pseuds or personal comments about other contributors to BH. I am following his advice but someone else is still spreading his poison. For the record I am not enjoying this one bit but I AM seeking fair play.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM | Dung>>>>>

Are you saying it's ok for a contributor to make snark remarks about the scientific opinions of other contributors but it is "poison" to point out that behaviour ?

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

I agree that Richard is 'spreading poison'. It is sad though. I was never conscious of my anonymity before.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM | Registered Commentershub

Shub

likewise it never occurred to me that what I called myself could be an issue. I have the most childish reason to call myself Dung however I do not believe that being a player of online computer games is a bad thing and that is where it came from.
I will agree that the abuse that has been hurled by some anonymous people on Twitter is actually a serious problem and that maybe there is a case for people on a blog like this (even though there has never been such a problem) should use real names when seriously abusing another blog user. However I am not even convinced about that last point. BH has been an oasis of intelligent discussion for as long as I have visited and even the trolls are well treated ^.^
For someone to suddenly poison the atmosphere for anyone not using a real name was for me a great tragedy.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM | Dung>>>

I obviously misunderstood your remark about someone "spreading poison".

Please accept my apology for any offence.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM | Registered CommenterRKS

Can I suggest my critics here keep calm and carry on. Or meditate on this adapted old saying:

If you are sure the cap doesn't fit, why take offence as if it does?

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterRichard Drake

How about this: Don't fit your cap on everything that you see. Don't treat the commenters as though they were lab-rats in your little online-sociologic experiment. There are real people behind these false names. There are fake ones too, but so what?

I took issue with you for casually joining the McAlpine twitterers to online commenters in general. You offered no coherent counter-argument. Yet you drew parallels between the two yet again in another instance. And now here you are, talking about 'nyms' and AlecM as though they were pathologically on a similar plane somehow.

Do you really believe that the evidence for the atmospheric greenhouse effect, or whatever you may call it, is so strong that those who have objections can only cower behind the curtain of anonymity when speaking their mind? Because that is what your little comment implies.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM | Registered Commentershub

RKS

No problem mate ^.^

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Whatever will be will be I guess

Richard

You were told by His Grace to SHUT UP about nyms, you were told to SHUT UP with personal comments about other posters on BH and you responded with:
The fact that AlecM and a myriad of similar-minded nyms are bound to disagree I'm not certain adds much light.
If I am banned I can not think of a better way to go than to tell you how arrogant, how bigoted and how nasty a person you are.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM | Registered CommenterDung

How about this: Don't fit your cap on everything that you see.

It's funny you should say that because it reminds me of something I saw a few hours ago on the Holloway Road in London: a lady wearing a niqab chatting away with a middle-eastern-looking man selling vegetables, both speaking in impeccable London English accents and idioms. Know what I mean, for real, innit. Or words to that effect.

The lady turned away smiling (well, I think she was, though it was a little hard to tell) and began to walk in the same direction as I was south along the pavement. I almost thought to begin a conversation with her, in a very friendly manner, about how I was glad she could enjoy such interactions in such garb. Then I thought better of it. I had to cross the road in any case. As I did I went through phrases like "I hope you don't mind discussing such a thing face to face" and the like.

Yesterday I wandered through Speakers' Corner in London's Hyde Park, noting as usual the many radical Muslim preachers there these days. I told a friend who was with me about the time a few years ago I had approached the place and found a large group of Arab speakers having what seemed like a heated, no-holds-barred debate in their native tongue. On that occasion I did butt in to a group on the edge to ask what the discussion was about. "The man over there is Egyptian and is arguing that Egypt is the best Arabic country whereas his opponent is from Algeria and vehemently disagrees." I smiled and asked them if they liked this remarkable place where such arguments could take place so freely. They gladly agreed, as I felt sure they would. "And would you have that freedom in the countries you come from?" Again, agreement was readily obtained and no offence taken.

Sometimes I take risks in what I believe is the service of truth and sometimes I think better of doing so. In both the cases mentioned I think I would have got the people concerned to think a bit more deeply about some complex and controversial subjects. And I think I've done the same with the area of pseudonymity on Bishop Hill, with a eye to the great wide yonder of the blogo- and twitter-verses. My concern throughout has been those that abuse this great priviledge and I make no apologies about it. Of course, one day I may get myself killed but hey, what's life for but for throwing away in the service of truth, freedom and sheer good fun?

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard

In the service of truth you stopped posting in the discussion thread about pseudonyms and started to insult people in other threads. The fact that someone used a "nym" became more important to you than what they said and thought. You have the education and the intelligence to comprehend that your actions are beneath contempt but like the BBC you just cant see it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Since this isn’t the sort of subject I read in detail I don’t know why real names has become such an issue but:-

Many of the warmist sites are dying for want of comments. If you were to insist on real names then possibly sceptic sites would go the same way.

You would rarely get new, uncertain commenters because they wouldn’t bother revealing themselves just to make what might be a stupid point or question. People who have good reasons to remain anonymous would fade away. Those with different opinions wouldn’t risk their identity to the enemy and you’d have no opposing voices to inspire glorious rebuttals. The moment you make it difficult for people to express themselves, many of them stop. Are you sure the only people you want to hear from are those confident/arrogant enough to ‘come out’? Eventually you’d end up as a small coterie of people with nothing new to discuss.

You might attract more climate scientists and less sceptics if names were genuine and rules of politeness were observed at all times but that would be a new type of site. Would it not be better to create a new site (like the climatedialog.org) rather than reinvent one that is successful in its current form?

Would the gains outweigh the costs?

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Words of wisdom TinyCO2, thanks! I for one have a very good reason for not disclosing my full name, which may, and hopefully will, become irrelevant with the further passage of time. In the meantime I am one of those who has had to put up with RD's belittling attitude, as a 'nym' who allegedly does not accept responsibility for my own words. And yet as an IT expert he knows full well that anyone who posts on the internet is not truly anonymous, or not without great knowledge of computing possessed by only a tiny fraction of hackers.

Without the acknowledgment and support of good people like Dung I may have stopped posting here by now. An online community does not rely on names, but on recognition of the personality behind the posts, which sooner or later becomes clear. And through those "anonymous" interactions real life connections, even friendships, can and do develop, as the Oxford pub meets have amply shown.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM | Unregistered CommenterChris M

...I for one have a very good reason for not disclosing my full name

Do you think this might apply to others commenters too?

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin may be thinking of an incident recently on another thread when someone called 'Chris M' got angry with him and decided to ascribe a surname to him (I had and I have no idea if it was Martin's real surname) - all as some kind of retribution for the temerity of not fully pleasing him in what he had written. Appalling behaviour from someone one can only hope was a different Chris M, for the sake of non-hypocrisy everywhere.

I have never advocated pseudonyms being banned here. Here for example is what I wrote on this thread on 11th April:

Note that I want pseudonymity. Because, as Barry has said, some people have to be pseudonymous in the climate area. Those people are heroes to me. But because some heroes are pseudonymous the converse most certainly doesn't follow. Some of the worst offenders in the climate blogosphere use the 'freedom' of pseudonymity.

When I talk honestly about the bad behaviour of some nyms (for instance Chris M just now or mydog, as quoted above) why on earth should any other nym take offence at that? The doctor Harold Shipman killed many of his patients (and, please note, I'm not asserting moral equivalence with any particular BH contributor, just illustrating the principle). If I argued that because of Shipman some new safeguards were needed governing the work of doctors, would that automatically make me an evil person? Should every general practitioner take offence at my words? Of course not. They should feel free to differ on the proposed new measures but not waste energy accusing me of saying every doctor was just as evil as Shipman.

So, instead of this faux outrage the few people concerned (few compared to the bulk of nyms posting on Bishop Hill every day) should, if they wish, attend to the detail of the kinds of measure I've been proposing. They should, as I've said already, keep calm and carry on.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterRichard Drake