Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > NOS (Dutch 8 o'clock news) and green bias

Of course nobody here watching the Dutch 8 o'clock news, but I just wanted to get it off my chest: in the last few days the evening news on the serious channel for grown-ups has shown 2 green PR puff pieces masquerading as news stories:

Exhibit 1: A piece on the fact that solar panels have fallen in price by 90% and now self-generated sun energy costs 22 cts per kWh compared to 25 cts from a regular supplier. It doesn't matter that the correct consumer price for regular electricity if 22 cts per kWh (incl. tax of 14 cts) and the solar version requires state subsidies to even get to the same price.... My beef is why the hell is this a news story???

Exhibit 2: This evening on the news there was an article about rolling out of electric car charging points over the land. Cue greenies puffing about how marvelous it is to have something sustainable.. So who the hell is paying for these then? That's right, muggins the tax payer, that's who. But that's not my queestion of course... why the hell was this touted as a news story?? Unforkingbelievable!

Weather hysteria: the end of the news features a weather segment which includes a forecast of min/max for the coming 5 days. To the right of the forecast is the regular min/max. If on any day the weather is a degree or two warmer than the benchmark then the weatherperson invariably makes a point that it is warmer than usual. So much so that I was shouting at the tv almost every evening in early January when it indeed was warmer than usual . But now Holland has a cold snap. A very cold snap with minimum temps expected some 10oC under the norm. So do the weather people mention this in the interests of balance? Do they feck! So its warmer: climate. And now its colder, much colder : the ministry of truth says nothing and I'm shouting at the telly again :o

Anyway rant over!

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM | Unregistered CommenterFarleyR

I just looked at their @NOS Twitter feed and don't find the green stories there. That's strange as I thought they were news?????

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterFarleyR

That's 'good' to hear Farley. Over here, Baby Shub is watching TV all the time and I come global warming stuff on the TV program iCarly.

There is no escape. :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM | Unregistered CommenterShub

Shub, I played squash with my neighbours yesterday and they watch the same programme but hadn't noticed the warmest propaganda. And that's the point really isn't it? Subtle background brainwashing to create a world where everyone feels that something's going wrong with the climate and accepts that sacrifices have to be made to save us from ourselves.

BTW the temperature forecast on today's broadcast was for a minimum temp of -12oC below the average minimum for this time of year and the 'weather warmist' somehow forgot to point it out. I can just imagine the look of panic and concern if the forecast max were +12 over the average max....

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterFarleyR

Last night NL saw -23oC which is the lowest temperature in 27 years apparently. Normal temp range is 0 - +5 at this time of year The expectation for the coming week is 8 to 10 degrees lower than the average and the weather warmist avoided all such comparisons as I expected. At least there have been no more green propaganda 'news stories' which is a good thing I suppose!

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterFarleyR

Oh Dear FarleyR - there you go mixing up weather with climate again.

You should know that weather is only climate when an AGW expert says it is!!!!

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterRetired Dave

I'm done with NOS and their f*****g bias!
This evening, the (climate) outlook is for temperatures of +4 to +7oC and after weeks of no remarks about how the sub zero temperatures (weather) broke records and were massively below average, they had the cheek to state that this is milder than usual.... I was shouting at the telly and now need a holiday!

Luckily I'll be going to Austria this coming weekend to enjoy the several metres of global warming that they're enjoying around Kitzbühl 😄

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterFarleyR