Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > GWPF cf WMO - translation please?

Andrew Montford - if you still read here, please can you publish the full English translation that you used as the source for your GWPF story below?

Thank you.

GWPF:
WMO Secretary-General Rejects Climate ‘Doomsters and Extremists’

Date: 06/09/19
Andrew Montford and Mikko Paunio

The Secretary-General of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) says that the alarmist narrative on climate change has gone off the rails and criticised the news media for provoking unjustified anxiety.

cont…

https://www.thegwpf.com/wmo-boss-says-climate-discussion-has-gone-off-the-rails/

WMO:

July matched, and maybe broke, the record for the hottest month since analysis began
Tags: Climate change
Environment
Public health

Published
1 August 2019

“We have always lived through hot summers. But this is not the summer of our youth. This is not your grandfather’s summer,” said UN Secretary-General António Guterres, announcing the data in New York.

July 2019 was around 1.2°C warmer than the pre-industrial era, according to the data.

“All of this means that we are on track for the period from 2015 to 2019 to be the five hottest years on record. This year alone, we have seen temperature records shattered from New Delhi to Anchorage, from Paris to Santiago, from Adelaide and to the Arctic Circle. If we do not take action on climate change now, these extreme weather events are just the tip of the iceberg. And, indeed, the iceberg is also rapidly melting,” Mr Guterres said.

"Preventing irreversible climate disruption is the race of our lives, and for our lives. It is a race that we can and must win,” he underlined.

Heatwaves

Exceptional heat has been observed across the globe in recent week, with a string of European countries logging record highs temperatures that have caused disruption to transport and infrastructure and stress on people's health and the environment. As the heat dome spread northwards through Scandinavia and towards Greenland, it accelerated the already above average rate of ice melt.

“July has re-written climate history, with dozens of new temperature records at local, national and global level,” said WMO Secretary-General Petteri Taalas.

“The extraordinary heat was accompanied by dramatic ice melt in Greenland, in the Arctic and on European glaciers. Unprecedented wildfires raged in the Arctic for the second consecutive month, devastating once pristine forests which used to absorb carbon dioxide and instead turning them into fiery sources of greenhouse gases. This is not science fiction. It is the reality of climate change. It is happening now and it will worsen in the future without urgent climate action,” Mr Taalas said.

“WMO expects that 2019 will be in the five top warmest years on record, and that 2015-2019 will be the warmest of any equivalent five-year period on record. Time is running out to reign in dangerous temperature increases with multiple impacts on our planet,” he said.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/july-matched-and-maybe-broke-record-hottest-month-analysis-began

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM | Unregistered Commenternot banned yet

Climate guru Petteri Taalas: Climate change is not yet out of control, but the debate is - "It has the features of a religious extremism"
Pekka Lähteenmäki
1 minute

6/6/2019 6:15 PM updated 6/9/19 2:27 PM

You have read 0/5 free news.

Petteri Taalas Karoliina Vuorenmäki

6/6/2019 6:15 PM updated 6/9/19 2:27 PM
The Secretary-General of the World Meteorological Organization calls for the big issues to be addressed in the fight against climate change. “There has been such a sense of ghosting. Reasonable means for Finland should be carefully considered. ”

Petteri Taalas, Secretary General of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), points the path from the backyard to the forest. Along the way, five children of the family once went to kindergarten.
Try it free for a month

This content is for Talouselämä subscribers only. Subscribe to Digital Talouselämä to read the news without restriction. You also have access to Talouselämä's magazines and the Mergers & Acquisitions database. Now 1st Month Free.
Already a subscriber?

Sign in here

https://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/ilmastoguru-petteri-taalas-ilmastonmuutos-ei-ole-viela-riistaytynyt-kasista-mutta-keskustelu-siita-on-siina-on-uskonnollisen-aariliikkeen-piirteita/3152ead4-9a15-4a03-8cdd-b027a403e106

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:09 PM | Unregistered Commenterclipe

Thanks clipe - I'll check that out later this week with Google translate but I'd still like to read the source that Andrew worked from.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:48 AM | Unregistered Commenternot banned yet

As far as I can tell "that" is the source.

Sign in here

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:53 AM | Unregistered Commenterclipe

I'm not surprised to see this, but again this is phenomenal.

Taalas, who's known for mildly alarming, toelined comments, suddenly gives a paywalled interview in which he reveals what he thinks on famous alarmists such as the Thunberg family.

The paper, Talouselämä (roughly translates as The Business Life) is a paper known for educated, well-off, center-right, market-liberal, investor-friendly attitudes and readers.

Taalas spoke in Finnish for a small economy-centered elite and thought others are not paying attention. Now attention has been paid, and the inconvenient truth is the left does not know what to say, so it shuts up, and the elite of economy just nods as this is what they thought all along.

Both the left and the market elite pretend this didn't happen, for different reason. The other media shuts the discussion like it was their common decision. It could also have been that, at least in the major Finnish media.

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:15 PM | Unregistered Commenternffe

Looks like it is "as bad as we fear" after all:

Statement by WMO Secretary-General Petteri Taalas
Tags: WMO

Published 12 September 2019

Media reports based on a recent interview that I gave in Finland have attracted attention, on the grounds that I purportedly questioned the international focus on the need for robust climate action. This is a selective interpretation of my words and my longstanding views.

I have been involved in climate mitigation since the 1980s.

In my interview, I made clear that a science-based approach underpins climate action, and that our best science shows that the climate is changing, driven in large part by human action. However, I pointed out that the science-based approach is undermined when facts are taken out of context to justify extreme measures in the name of climate action.

Action should be based on a balanced view of the science available to us and not on a biased reading of reports by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, of which WMO is one of the parent organizations.

WMO is a specialized agency of the United Nations on weather, climate and water. Our mission is to collect, share and help apply the scientific evidence that is needed to act and adapt. We bring the facts to the table.

Working with our Members – the world’s 193 meteorological and hydrological services – we monitor the state of the climate, provide services in key areas such as early warning of weather and environmental hazards, and build global capacity to get the best data and analysis possible.

We have seen recording-breaking temperatures and greenhouse gas concentrations, the smallest amount of sea ice in the Arctic, melting mountain glaciers and rising sea levels.

It is highly important that we rein in greenhouse gas emissions, notably from energy production, industry and transport. This is critical if we are to mitigate climate change and meet the targets set out in the Paris Agreement on climate change.

To stop a global temperature increase of more than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, the level of ambition needs to be tripled. And to limit the increase to 1.5 degrees, it needs to be multiplied by five.

The challenges are immense. But in my interview, I underlined that we must not be driven to despair, given that reasonable, consensus-based solutions are available to the international community, governments and civil society.

Many such solutions were showcased this week in the report of the Global Commission on Adaptation, of which I am a member. And they will be in the international spotlight again on 23 September at the Climate Action Summit, convened by UN Secretary-General António Guterres in New York to boost ambition and accelerate efforts to implement the Paris Agreement.

WMO is coordinating a synthesis report of the latest climate science prepared under the auspices of the Science Advisory Group to the Climate Action Summit, which I co-chair. It will serve as a “transparent envelope” of authoritative and actionable cutting-edge science which underlines both the need for climate action as well as solutions to help in mitigation and adaptation.

To get to these solutions, we need a “Do” movement, not a “Talk” movement. This is our common goal.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/statement-wmo-secretary-general-petteri-taalas

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:24 PM | Unregistered Commenternot banned yet

NBY, I suspect he has been read the riot act. To whit, "What the hell do you think you're doing? Saying things like that could destroy our funding."

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:07 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

22 September 2019

“Climate change causes and impacts are increasing rather than slowing down,” said WMO Secretary-General Petteri Taalas, who is co-chair of the Science Advisory Group of the UN Climate Summit.

“Sea level rise has accelerated and we are concerned that an abrupt decline in the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets, which will exacerbate future rise. As we have seen this year with tragic effect in the Bahamas and Mozambique, sea level rise and intense tropical storms led to humanitarian and economic catastrophes,” he said.

“The challenges are immense. Besides mitigation of climate change, there is a growing need to adapt. According to the recent Global Adaptation Commission report the most powerful way to adapt is to invest in early warning services, and pay special attention to impact-based forecasts,” he said.

“It is highly important that we reduce greenhouse gas emissions, notably from energy production, industry and transport. This is critical if we are to mitigate climate change and meet the targets set out in the Paris Agreement,” he said.

“To stop a global temperature increase of more than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, the level of ambition needs to be tripled. And to limit the increase to 1.5 degrees, it needs to be multiplied by five,” he said.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/global-climate-2015-2019-climate-change-accelerates

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/landmark-united-science-report-informs-climate-action-summit

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:03 AM | Unregistered Commenternot banned yet