Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Continental Jaw-dropping Threats

I thought that while any interesting statements made by 'Continentals', whether based on the Continent or not, could be discussed here, as this is a web site dedicated to serious discussion, those of the jaw dropping variety should have their own quarantined area, here:

EUROPEAN Union boss Jean-Claude Juncker this afternoon issued a jaw-dropping threat to the United States, saying he could campaign to break up the country in revenge for Donald Trump’s supportive comments about Brexit.
Express: EU could BREAK UP the US: Juncker in jaw-dropping threat to Trump over support for Brexit

What! No mention of Obama's team talk before the Referendum?

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:23 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Reminds me of the classic newspaper headline - "Continent cut off by fog". The UK is part of "the continent".

BTW does anyone know the opinion of Channel Islanders to Brexit? Will they rejoin Normandy?

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Confirmation that a large part of the British Isles is not in Europe, from a Continental point of view:
A SENIOR German politician has ripped into Britain warning the interests of “only Europeans count for us” in a trail of apocalyptic post-Brexit warnings after Article 50 was triggered.
Express: Manfred Weber goes on FURIOUS Brexit rant as he vows to only care for those ‘WHO COUNT’

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM by Supertroll
"BTW does anyone know the opinion of Channel Islanders to Brexit? Will they rejoin Normandy?"

The Channel Islands fall into two separate self-governing bailiwicks, the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Bailiwick of Jersey. Both are British Crown dependencies, and neither is part of the United Kingdom. They have been part of the Duchy of Normandy since the tenth century, and Queen Elizabeth II is often referred to by her traditional and conventional title of Duke of Normandy.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:10 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

BTW does anyone know the opinion of Channel Islanders to Brexit? Will they rejoin Normandy?

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM | Supertroll

The Channel Islanders have benefitted by being independent (ish) from the UK and EU. They will not want to lose their dependence on being independent, as the UK did, until it decided on BREXIT.

Meanwhile, the SNP wants independence from the UK, but thinks depending on the EU is more dependable in the longer term.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:36 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Channel Islands (and the Isle of Man) are not part of the EU or the UK, although there is an economic union between the UK and the IoM.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Juncker did not inspire The Guardian when appointed.

Juncker offered no confidence to Cameron prior to BREXIT.

Juncker is offering no confidence to the US or it's trade.

How was Juncker elected? Farage was right about Van Rompuy in his "Who are you?!" Speech. Juncker seems to be on a mission to prove BREXIT was correct, and ensure the EU is doomed.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:03 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Re Brexit payments.
I think we should give the EU Scotland in full and final settlement.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterRoger Tolson

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:54 PM | Roger Tolson

The EU may govern the Food Safety Standards of haggis, but will they make it edible?

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:49 PM | Supertroll

The Channel Islands have done very well by remaining Independent!

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:37 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

https://order-order.com/2017/03/30/polish-mp-complains-jean-claude-druncker/

Juncker. Alcohol dependency. Formal letter.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:53 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

So if Hillary had made it to the White House, and invited Juncker over for a drink, they would have been rolling on the floor laughing, for weeks.

Trump spoiled it, by being teetotal, no wonder Juncker is peeshed.

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:34 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Gwendolyn. You mean that Trump doesn't have the excuse of being inebriated? Perhaps a Democrat should write a letter suggesting he change his behaviour, substituting good ol' Jack Daniels for twittering.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:30 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll, at least Trump can remember what he tweeted and why. Hillary might have mistaken the Big Red Nuclear button as a means of summoning more evil spirits.

No wonder Luxembourg was keen to elevate Juncker to higher Political Office.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:38 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

The BBC knew Juncker was prone to being tired, and having long tiring lunches
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-eu-28027182

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38944742

Juncker did very nicely for Luxembourg financial interests
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/12/jean-claude-juncker-european-commission-campaign-tax-avoidance-luxembourg

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:55 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Supertroll
Perhaps the Isle Of Man and the Western Isles could reform The Lordship Of The Isles as an Eco Friendly Renewable paradise under the guidance of the current holder of the title - Prince Charles? No shortage of wind and tide most of the time.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:20 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

SandyS. I get the obvious link between HRH Chaz and wind, but I'm flummoxed by "tide". Link to Canute, perhaps?

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:55 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

I think the phrase the BBC may have been looking for was Juncker being "tired and emotional" but it seems it is just too much coffee (H/t golfcharlie 8.55am)

On the other hand you could consider the interpretation according to Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tired_and_emotional

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterMessenger

Minty: given HRH’s more recent work in this field, and the more modern spelling of Canute being foist upon us (while ignoring how the minds of little boys work – and, believe me, I have had plenty of experience of that!), you may be closer to the truth than you realise – he is being a proper Cnut.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:48 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Radical Rodent, if only Juncker was sober as a Cnut, he might have stopped the rising tide of EU resentment sweeping across the Atlantic.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:41 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Supertroll,
Sorry, it was only a reference to the fact there a number of opportunities for tidal power generation schemes in the Western Isles, about as far from the centres of population in Scotland, far less the rest of the UK, as you can get. Charles would obviously approve of the whole concept, including a model village for the droves of workers who would be employed locally and not have to seek their fortunes around the world.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:36 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS