Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > The Guardianworld/MSM vs Skeptic Blogosphere

An issue was raised :
Are Climate skeptic blogs an uncomfortable and unwelcoming place for left-wing people ?
...(quicklink to last page of this thread)

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:09 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

My answer is yes BUT it is not the fault of Climate Skeptics.
..Climate Skeptic blogs are non left/right environments they are open to all, and large comment is free and uncensored.
..They are the real world

The problem is that the Guardian is a 24 7 365 Remoaner DramaGreen Donialist*, gatekeepered universe
....full of hatespeak against people who dare to challenge LeftMob dogma
and the BBC and the rest of the MSM *curate* the publics view of the world similarly
..They are not the real world

So many people are brainwashed by that ..so of course it can be a shock for them to come over here
where speech is so different, they come across real world ideasthat they have been gatekeepered away from seeing befooe
.... No bullying of intimidating ANY commenters from expressing their views is acceptable surely
but I on the Guardian I do see "bullying by taking offence" .."oh you can't say XYZ its offensive"

(Declaration of interest : I have worked with and been paid for doing Guardian promotional work)
* Donial - The denial that Donald Trump is the legitimate president of the US

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:13 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

My impression is that alarmist blogs are far, far more vituperative of alternative views than skeptic websites. It is a subject that has been discussed elsewhere (maybe James Delingpole?).
Also alternative views are simply vanished in many cases.

@stewgreen Donial, lol, worthy of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM | Unregistered Commentercolin smith

Stewgreen

Make a quick tour of the American climate sites. You will find that the warmist sites have suddenly gone all Democrat and the denier sites have suddenly gone all Republican.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Yesterday I made a quick tour of WUWT I found very little evidence of nastiness or sneering.
The site looked to have no Left/right political angle.
Nor have I noticed in the past of any Climate Skeptic websites like JoNova, Judith Curry, Notalot being toxic to left wingers ..all seem welcome

I can believe that alarmist sites take a leftwing view and have hostility to those who dare challenge 1% of LeftMob dogma

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:04 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

LeftMob are known for their tolerance and awareness of truth ..and self-awareness
Someone just spoke of the MEP and acting leader of one of the UK's biggest political parties

STOP GIVING THAT HATEFUL FUCKING FARAGE CREATURE AIR TIME!!!! He's not got a public role anymore….the media needs to be more responsible.— Charlotte Church (@charlottechurch) 10 November 2016

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:22 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Non-LeftMob typically use humour eg
..."Racists, homophobes and bigots decided the result of the US presidential election. Racists, homophobes and bigots are not democratic, and therefore the result of the election is not valid." Rod Liddle

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

And Rod Liddle used to be the editor of radio 4 breakfast news program.........

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterSteve Richards

Make a quick tour of the American climate sites. You will find that the warmist sites have suddenly gone all Democrat and the denier sites have suddenly gone all Republican.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM | Entropic man

So Republicans are more honest and intelligent than alarmist Democrats. That is a pretty sweeping conclusion to draw, but probably accurate. I suppose the Democrat Alarmists now have some serious panicking to be getting on with on numerous fronts. Everyone else can relax a bit.

Global Warmists need to have some big circular firing squads, but to spice it up a bit, they could be intermingled with the Democrats in a moving Figure of 8 pattern.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Guardian Writer Tweets Call for Trump's Assassination After His Election Victory
..then deleted here entire account
via Guido

ALSO Guardian retweeted thios

Populists are out to divide us. They must be stopped | Timothy Garton Ash http://trib.al/bRzXVV1
9:09 AM - 11 Nov 2016
Trump haters love to hate ..... don't they ?

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:46 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Rather a populist than an unpopulist.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM | Unregistered Commenterrhoda

Trump haters have not thought to ask why nobody loves them anymore, and are still trying to blame everybody else. They remain in Denial.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:42 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Personally I think that most blogs holding a particular view are unwelcoming to to those who hold a diametrically opposite view or questioning view. Even when the moderators/owners do their best to maintain some civility there is always a level of hostility gets through. For example on WUWT check out some of the responses to a commenter who goes under the name Griff, not always that civil, some of the responses to Entropic man and ACK can be a bit removed from reasonable discussion.
On the other hand there are also people who go out of their way to provoke hostility, one or two have visited here from time to time.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:24 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

I think the problem can be summed up by the term 'piling on'. As SandyS writes it's inevitable when the bulk hold one view and a few hold another. Just multiple people answering at once is intimidating. I'm guilty of it and have been a victime of it too.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

"Piling on" usually doesn't worry me (and I venture to say probably not to EM, aTTP and Phil Clarke either). It's mainly the shear nastiness of some posts and the fact that these are only rarely criticized (for their tone, not their content). Lip service is paid by some here to everyone having the opportunity to be able to write what they wish without being attacked, when it is they are the main offenders.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterACK

Are Climate skeptic blogs an uncomfortable and unwelcoming place for left-wing people ?
...(quicklink to last page of this thread)

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:09 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

I'd never voted for a right-of-centre party when I started commenting here at BH, or WUWT, or other blogs. It never troubled me in the slightest that I may, or may not, be in a minority, and I never tried to hide it. The problem is that many of the global-warmers are just strident blowhards who both earn, and deserve, little respect.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:06 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart