Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > BBC & Media Bias re :climate/energy/green issues ..new thread

News on the Facebook bias allegations
Surprisingly R4 Today just said that Facebook's announcement it is seeking a meeting with Conservatives is an admission that the bias claims are true.
" if, as Facebook claims, there has been no effort to suppress conservative media, why the need for a meeting? That Facebook has been curating the What's Trending items and this is crucial . cos "FB is the worlds biggest media organisation".

I note when I try to check for news updates Google keeps pushing the Guardian and other lefty media orgs
I have to search deeply to find direct conservative views.
Breibart " if, as Facebook claims, there has been no effort to suppress conservative media, why the need for a meeting?"
in Breitbart News, which is #15 Facebook Publisher, to Zuckerberg: Forget the Meeting — We Want Transparency and the Truth

Strangely Gizmodo who broke the bias story ..don't put any updates on their frontapageFacebook Admits Its Trending Section Includes Topics Not Actually Trending on Facebook [Update: Zuck Speaks] ah they aknowledge that the Guardian got hold of Facebooks internal guidelines which show that RSS stats for part of the algorithm which injects a strong element of what 1,000 other news sources are carrying ie It Guarantees that Facebook takes a lead from the agenda of other media, even if until then FB users haven't been looking at those stories.
Gizmodo : Facebook Admits Its Trending Section Includes Topics Not Actually Trending on Facebook

The documents show a section of the guidelines titled “Injecting Topics,” in which a team of news editors working in shifts were instructed on how to “inject” topics into the trending module. Another section of the guidelines was dedicated to blacklisting topics for up to a day.
TownHall.com points out that this means that when we thought the internet was giving us the NEW Media actually what we get is the OLD media agenda

May 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Ha I just worked out a trick Next time I create a discussion thread, then in the first comment I can put a link to latest posts on a discussion by adding ?lastPage=true to the URL eg discussion/post/2599516?lastPage=true
That way users would not have to navigate to latest page manually by going all the way to the bottom of the page. One click would take you right to the last page.

May 14, 2016 at 2:31 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Stewgreen

Sounds good . Try it on your next thread.

May 14, 2016 at 3:58 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM: are you sure it's such a good idea to encourage him...?

May 14, 2016 at 6:15 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

sticks tongue out

May 15, 2016 at 3:05 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Thoughts on that BBC Bangladesh flood story
#1 It doesn't seem to be a big piece of climate propaganda
#2 It's obviously shoddy from the start
..."Experts suggest " ..No not good enough unless they name the sources you can't check credibility
..also the "compared to a total of 51 people in the whole of 2015" ..No one should be picking only 1 year to compare it against ..That's meaningless you need to talk about a general trend.
* And Indeed that's why the story instantly falls apart ..It's took me 2 mins to find evidence that 100+ deaths a year is normal, and that most deaths occur in May cos of the monsoon season.
#3 50 people dying in a weekend is news, but if you ever been to such big countries you'll know that the large populations and culture make such headlines an almost daily occurance.

BTW there is a tool to show the edit changes in online articles, but I cant remember the name
http://newsdiffs.org/ claims to ..but all BBC articles I tried were not logged

#4 As I said It doesn't seem to be a big piece of climate propaganda BUT next time if that kind of shoddy reporting is married with the reporter having confirmation bias (towards global warming) then you might get a new Global Warming meme..which then is selected as "trending" by faceless Facebook, BBC, and google bods hence the mem gets widely spread

The Daily Star of Bangladesh May 25, 2015
Most deaths occur in May "Lightning strikes most in May in Bangladesh"
Deaths per year
2010 - 99
2011 - 114
2012 - 136
2013 - 123
2014 - 112
2015 - 51
2016 - 90 +
..Maybe the BBC's un-named* 'experts' can spot a year with an anomally

May 15, 2016 at 3:10 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

A note on the charter review
So the BBC gets to carry on as normal for another 11 years
BUT the big change is OFCOM will enforce the rules not the BBC itself

The big question in my mind is "Why were the Guardian reader types banging on as if the BBC was going to get closed down very soon ?" ..that was a million miles from whatever was going to happen.
.. "I do wonder if the Guardian subjected to them to masses of brainwashing ..it seems like a priming/framing exercise to give them the framing that there is a dichotomy "completely closing the BBC down" or "never criticising it".. that is of course a false dichotomy.

May 15, 2016 at 3:17 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

BTW there is a tool to show the edit changes in online articles, but I cant remember the name
http://newsdiffs.org/ claims to ..but all BBC articles I tried were not logged

May 15, 2016 at 3:35 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

It only took me ten minutes to find the statement that Bangladesh does not record deaths from lightning strikes separately.

May 15, 2016 at 3:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

May 10, 2016 at 2:11 PM | Registered CommenterM Courtney

For me the BBC is a vital part of UK independence.
We are Anglophone. We would be swamped by US culture without the BBC. Within 30 years there would be no UK culture without the BBC.

That is just a super silly argument. I've spent 50 of my 61 years living on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario directly across from Buffalo, New York. Buffalo has been swamped by Canadian culture despite over-the-air broadcasts from ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS.

PBS Buffalo

May 16, 2016 at 2:32 AM | Unregistered Commenterclipe

clipe, I have no experience of the Canadian border. And I didn't know that Canadian culture has so saturated the edge of NY state.

It surprises me that Buffalo is now bilingual with every little public thing in both French and English.
I wonder how their monarchist / republican debate is going?

To be honest, I had more expected that the US culture would slowly alter Canada's so as you wouldn't even notice the unification.
I live and learn.

May 16, 2016 at 8:59 AM | Registered CommenterM Courtney

Those thinking the BBC presents a true impartial picture of the world might want to check the BBC News Facebook page
..It is entirely right that some one campaigns for the rights of immigrants and ethnic minorities
But that BBC FB page seems to think that that is its job

Today is Migration Day "special day of coverage, including special reports and a speech by Angelina Jolie Pitt. ‪#‎WorldOnTheMove‬"
... I get all my advice from that top ACTOR ..good to see that BBC doesn't sink to celebrity culture like ITV does !!

If you look carefully you can see they even sometimes cover stories about the UK that are outside London

May 16, 2016 at 9:16 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Within 30 years there would be no UK culture without the BBC.

I'm not sure I even know the "UK culture" is.

But whatever it is, if it is dependent on the BBC [≡ mandatory tax on every UK TV viewer] as its life support system, I think the plug should be pulled now.

May 16, 2016 at 9:20 AM | Unregistered CommenterMartin A

FB Censorship issue : BBC Trending actually did quite reasonable coverage. They actually interviewed the Gizmodo journalist who broke the story.

My link takes you directly to 9:30 minutes, cos the normally super-biased BBC Trending team did remain true to form by filling the first 9 minutes with an item they deem more important : They've found a black angle story : claiming that AirB&B is 15% biased against 'people of colour'
(Just don't ask yourself why the prog didn't mention discrimination in favour of women ?)

May 16, 2016 at 9:46 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

#2 Interesting issue is that when The Computer Radio Show on CFRI Canada covered the FB bias story I was shocked at their angle

"Oh Republicans in the US have been complaining that FB has been censoring, what you might call right of centre posts"
"They are saying 'we are seeing more leftwing posts, it's gotta be a CONSPIRACY' "
..'ha has that's garbage , cos it's ALL algorithm and it's just that there are far more leftwing posts in the world'
Wow how did they get this bizarre angle ?
It's something you expect from brainwashed zombies who get their fantasy view of the world from the Guardian.

That CRS angle is such an eg of the Strawman Fallacy
The original Gizmodo news article is NOT from Republicans complaining, that is NOT what the original Gizmodo article says : It's main point what that they have confirmed reports from The Trending News insiders that right-wing posts were discriminated against" (secondly FB has admitted subsequently that human are involved)
So it is wrong to state that the Trending News is 'all algorithm' instead it is actually curated.
The actual post that CRS linked to even mentioned the human curating.
My guess the psychology is an example of people grasping a narrative they like (confirmation bias style) and activate the "Label something, dismiss , move-on" in this case "Ah Republican Cranks, move on"

May 16, 2016 at 9:48 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Martin A

"UK culture?"

I think it was an American who once said

"The English have two religions, cricket and the Royal Family. Never attempt to criticise either."

May 16, 2016 at 5:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

M Courtney, if Buffalo can be bilingual, is that the difference Buffalo and Bison?

May 16, 2016 at 5:49 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

It is not just the BBC. I just watched a Channel 4 news item on climate change and there was not a sceptic in sight.

It would seem that they also realise you have nothing useful to say.

May 16, 2016 at 7:27 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

So, EM, you think that sceptics in climate science should not be aired as they do not deserve to be listened to? Interesting…

May 16, 2016 at 7:46 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Radical Rodent

You have nothing useful to say. Why should Channel 4 or anyone else give you access to their expensive airtime?

May 16, 2016 at 8:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Radical Rodent

A low budget reality TV or studio news programme costs about £3000/ minute. Climate sceptics have nothing that is worth a TV news programme spending that amount of money on them.

Remember that there is no Free Lunch here. Television lives by ratings and advertising revenue. Any guests have to be informative, relevant and entertaining. Climate sceptics usually score 1 out of 3. They are not informative or relevant, but it can be entertaining to watch them wriggle.

May 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

I don't believe in AGW. I regard it as the best paradigm available. If you want me to become a sceptic, show me a better paradigm.

May 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM | Entropic man

EM your quote above is from a parallel thread. Your responses above mark you out as a staunch hypocrite. How can you appeal for a better explanation, but celebrate censorship of alternative views?

May 16, 2016 at 10:10 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Golf Charlie

Suppose I put you on Channel 4 and the interviewer asks you to explain the warming since 1880. What better paradigm do you describe?

May 16, 2016 at 10:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM, well,, possibly the end of the Little Ice Age caused the warming since 1880.

I haven't a clue what caused the Little Ice Age, or what caused it to end, or the Medieval Warm Period for that matter, but you don't either.

May 16, 2016 at 11:18 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

EM - what's a paradigm? A theory?

May 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartin A