Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Shocking email leak

Alan Kendall, the BBC has always trodden a difficult line on politics. If it is consistently accused of bias by both sides, it has probably got it right.

Science should not be about politics, but the debate has been polarised, such that anyone who questions anything, no matter how small about climate science, must be a right wing fascist bully boy.

That does not match my politics, and I think it is a long way from yours too.

The BBC gives full publicity to the latest climate science scare story, but never features any of many climate science failures and scandals. The BBC has also decided it does not have to give equal coverage to either side of the climate science debate, as the science is settled. Google "28 gate BBC" for more info! Some from this and other blogs, some from the MSM.

I would rather the Beeb put it's own house in order. BBC TV has been part of my life, and my radios are normally tuned to Radio 2 or 4. I would miss it, and the nation would be worse without it. I have watched US TV, and have seen European TV, in the background of bars and restaurants around Europe to have got some understanding of the abysmal standards! Berlusconi Italian TV was beyond parody for cheap gameshow entertainment, and I don't speak Italian! Having endured Latin at school, I can get some understanding of Italian menus and signage, but Berlusconi TV was/is very What You See, Is All You Get.

It would be unfair if the BBC was another victim of climate science, but that is the way a controlling minority view rises and fails. See 28 gate BBC !

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

You seem to blissfully ignore what the BBC does for the arts, much of it completely unprofitable but which keeps our culture alive.
Apr 16, 2016 at 4:52 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Alan, that is possibly true. Which some might say is another good reason to run the ruling BBC Arts graduates, who think they can understand science, out of town. They don't, and they can't, understand science, engineering, and industry, because they have never tried. They hated it at school and they hate it now. They are part of the establishment that actually fears science, except when they think it serves their programming needs or their political needs.

I already said that not all of the BBC is bad. More generously, I would say that if the BBC websites, radio, and TV, never published another Science and Environment and Environment and Environment article again and spent the money on Arts instead, then Arts and the world would probably be a better place. Science would not be disadvantaged by their departure. If they cannot even do it in even a half-assed way, they should not do it at all. But it has a political dimension, especially within the BBC. Allowing the politics drags them down, and cheapens the brand to the point where it will get less if privatised.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:15 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

I think these are much more nuanced positions, which I applaud. Perhaps not all is lost.

Not all science programmes are as bad as you suggest - I quite enjoy Melvin Bragg struggling to understand quantum mechanics. Much of Horizon I find stimulating and sometimes fascinating - I recall one on other solar systems with hot Jupiters that was all new to me. On climate science I agree - enough already.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Mr K: I can understand your point of view; it is one I have held for a long time, and was very reluctant to relinquish, but relinquish it I do. I am sorry if this puts me at loggerheads with you (yet again ☺). The BBC is not as it was, in the not-so-distant past. I think Gwendoline Caroline has managed to capture most of my own sentiments about the BBC.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Not all science programmes are as bad as you suggest - I quite enjoy Melvin Bragg struggling to understand quantum mechanics.
Apr 16, 2016 at 8:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

I'll admit I almost always enjoy Melvin Bragg.

It is awful that I don't get to hear him so often because I dislike listening to BBC propaganda on global warming and droning on about how awful we are and how we should all change our lives to avoid something terrible, environmental, soon, now, 5 years, honest, really, we're-not-making-this-up-as-we-go-along-gov, OK-we-did-but-now-the-world-is-really-going-to-end, drone, drone, drone, basic physics, drone, drone, drone, aTTP, drone, drone,drone, Raff, drone,drone, drone, Phil Clark, drone, drone, triple-drone, drone, drone, drone, Entropic Man, drone, drone, drone, droneity-drone's-ville Arizona.

Bragg's merit is he genuinely seems to sound like he is trying to understand, not instruct or educate, lecture or pontificate (at least, on subjects where he knows he is lacking, which is pretty good self-awareness by today's BBC standards).

But, one of the three BBC pillars is "education". On science, they refuse to educate themselves, but aspire to lecture the world.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Again an increase in the meeting ground. Lets see if we can get further. You complain about the science coverage with one of you desiring the BBC not covering science at all. My interpretation of the anti BBC sentiment is that it really concerns climate science.

1) climate science actually is not covered that much. This week for example I found nothing about it in the schedule although it might be part of Radio 4's Inside Science on Wednesday.
2) all science is underrepresented. However this has always been a criticism of the BBC, and the BBC produces more science output than all other broadcasters combined. This week there are programmes on SETI, asteroids, and physicists, as well as nature and other quasi science items. These will be pitched at a level to appeal to an interested but not necessarily well informed audience. I don't recognize.these programmes to be dumbed down.
3) I cannot defend the corporation's treatment on climate change but I can understand it.

It seems to me that to pull down the BBC because of its cowardly position on climate change is gross overkill. I talk with many people who are not involved with the climate debate, they would categorize your stance as being within a narrow fringe group. Other broadcasters' climate coverage differs little from that of the BBC.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Unprecedented News! Am I the first Gwendoline to be outed on Bishop Hill? I keep getting my slips caught in my flies, which is almost as embarrassing as letting one fly, to be caught in the slips.

What is needed is for Valerie Singleton and the proper BBC Blue Peter presenters to make a decent climate model, in under 5 minutes, with a pair of coat hangers, three egg boxes, half a washing up liquid bottle, and lashings of sticky backed plastic. Without a computer, let alone one that can be adjusted, tweaking would be limited to the number of twists in the rubber band powering the novelty wind mill on the TellyTubbies set, where the sun and moon could also be set to 'On' or 'Off'. No oceans, or variations in sea level to worry about either.

Climate scientists could sit down quietly for minutes every day, mesmerised by Childrens TV, playing with each other, and leave everybody else alone. BBC executives could do real work, dressed in bits of fluffed up polystyrene going Laa-Laa and getting Tipsy Wipsy with Poo and Dinky Winky, and the world will be a better place.

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

T'ain't jes the Beeb, 'tis all journalism; it has realized its power, but hasn't any better sense than a toddler with a machine gun.
=============

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:15 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

golf Charlie, go for broke. How would The Magic Roundabout add to climate change harmony? Stretch those wit muscles yet again.

No need to consider the Muppets (they're already to much like the IPCC and have sold out - to crumpets!!!) nor those woolen thingies with a soup dragon (their planet has no atmosphere and so they are free of CO2 sin).

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:28 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Kim babe, I'm wiv you bruv.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:29 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Cover in place and

Carry on!
=======

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:34 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Alan Kendall, I refer you to "Magic Roundabout Jasper Carrott" as this out trumps most other climate science papers. It does help if you visualise Rajendra Pachauri in the role of Zebedee. 5 minutes well spent.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:25 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

golf Charlie, what an absolutely disgusting and unwholesome image. I deeply regret ever suggesting your involvement in a climate change Magic Roundabout makeover. Consider your copybook well and truly blotted. Shame on you.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Alan Kendall, Boing! went climate science

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:23 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

golf Charlie you're just depraved you are. It's just a Roundabout now. Future children will curse me for asking for your input. I'm only glad you've preserved the sanctity of the Clangers.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

The BBC do have a proven and distinctive bias. On climate we have the climate28 debacle and on Isreal/Palestine we have Balen report. all exceedingly strong indicators that the BBC have a line and do not let the facts intrude.

Good as much of the BBC output is, their stated intent (climategate28) is to permeate 'global warming propaganda' throughout all of the program output.

Not a good start really.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterSteve Richards

Alan
I'll come to your aid — a bit — to defend the Beeb but it has to behave itself!
I mean — a Strictly Come Dancing Prom?? What's that about? I pick and choose my Prom concerts because there is a lot of stuff I simply don't enjoy but I'm happy to listen to their new works and I'll sit through a concert with some (to my mind) tedious stuff in it if there is stuff I want to hear.
But it is supposed to be the best classical music broadcast festival in the world and dumbing it down with Strictly or Kids or Doctor Who concerts with music that could never be called 'classical' by any definition is not what the great Sir Henry Wood had in mind. Nor Lord Reith!
I don't need even to mention the blatant and quite deliberate climate change bias nor the way it spends taxpayers' money undermining local news outlets or overpaying a raft of middle management.
But sort these problems out and take it back to doing best what it does best and setting standards for the rest of the industry to follow because it doesn't need to be chasing ratings and I'm 100% behind you. Even at £150 a year which is not much more than I pay — without any way of avoiding it — in France where it is rolled in with the taxe d'habitation.
And it really is time the government looked seriously at funding the BBC that way so that evasion disappears along with all the costs that go with it. Like the NHS it's a wonderful organisation — in theory! And like the NHS it has become sclerotic and is in dire need of treatment to make it fit for the 21st century.

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Mike Jackson. This was support?

Regarding the Proms dumbing down. Those performances you poor scorn upon are designed to appeal to people (especially young people) who have no previous history of listening to any musical performance. The hope is that they will then attempt (for them) more "difficult" classical music. We tried desperately to get tickets for the Dr Who concert, so as to take our young grandson, but they were sold out. Rather than criticize the BBC, I would applaud it . I wish the BBC could do something something similar for opera.

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Their climate works are grand indeed; the bloody toll metastasizes through the poor, as once did tuberculosis, and still do malaria and dysentery.
=================

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim