Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Events : Summer 2014

strange how : DIA 29 DE MAIO – DIA MUNDIAL DA ENERGIA
but nothing comes up in English

May 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

12 June 2014 09:00 - 13:00
Conference : UK energy security - including the role of unconventional gas * by Royal Society of Chemistry

Helping secure UK energy supplies for future generations
- Event Subject(s): Environment, Sustainability & Energy
Industry & Technology
Venue
Central London (venue TBC)
United Kingdom

* they mean fracking I guess.. is the word too toxic

May 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Also see the spring events list for some events in June and July
- i did copy all over to google calendar
- clicking Agenda gives the easiest view, but details dont always show up ..ah they do now

May 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

EDINBUGH 2-23 AUGUST : Skeptics on the Fringe – 2014 schedule
- bear in mind that most science skeptic bigwigs are rational except that when it comes to green issues/climate they become brainwashed and just give them a free pass ..maybe cos of their Green/Left friendships. However there seems to be no Climate evangelising on this years schedule.

That's from a Good list of Europe Skeptic events, but almost nothing in the UK in the summer

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

In North Wales / Liverpool area Wrexham Science Festival July 17-24th
There are 4 Eco-propaganda talks you can go to FREE, if you have the stomach/balls.
Speakers : David Sprake, : Barry Johnston 3X

Thursday 17th July 18:00 to 19:30 FREE but BOOK Speaker: David Sprake
Climate Change: The truth, the whole truth and nothing but… what the world’s top climate scientists agree upon
"The latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report is conclusive about man made climate change however there is still some scepticism. This lecture looks at the facts, the science behind the facts and the evidence on the ground. The lecture will address some of the climate sceptic’s arguments about climate change and look at how we and future generations might be affected."

I note the bad English on the booking page
"Climate Change - The truth, the whole truth and nothing but... what 500 of the world's top climate scientists are 95% is the truth."

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

* Major Low Carbon Energy Developments in North Wales
Tuesday, 22 July 2014 from 19:30 to 21:00 7:30pm FREE but BOOK
Speaker: Barry Johnston
I note the bad English AGAIN !
"The decarbonisation revolution is now upon us, although, historically, Wales powered much of the industrial revolution... The we used wood, charcoal, water mills, before shifting coal, which is, unarguably, the world's most "carob intense" form of energy."

* The Low Carbon Anglesey Energy Island Vision Speaker: Barry Johnston
Wednesday, 23 July 2014 from 18:00 to 19:30FREE but BOOK
Anglesey... one of the highest levels of low carbon energy generation per person in the world...
(don't mention the mad greens closed the Aluminium smelter down)
nuclear ..way vast amounts of offshore wind are likely to be the main players, while solar, biomass and tidal stream will also play a part.
(what capacity compared to the islands NUCLEAR FLIPPIN power plant ? )
...How is this a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for exciting new jobs at the cutting edge of low carbon energy?"

* How well do renewable energy technologies pay back the carbon and energy that is initially invested in them?
Thursday, 24 July 2014 from 19:30 to 21:00 FREE but BOOK Speaker: Barry Johnston
Why does no one tell me how "green" is my solar panel? Sounds like a fuzzy question - but, in fact, it is vital to ask it and to answer it - scientifically and accurately...How well does this negative initial impact stack up - against its carbon savings when it is actually being used? Also, how do different microgeneration technologies compare against each other: Solar electricity v solar heating v heat pumps v wind turbines, and so on, in terms of "lifetime carbon environmental payback multiples"?
Some of the answers from some of these "Life Cycle Analysis" studies can be alarming. Why are we not told?
(is he really going to tell the truth ?)

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Tue 23 September . Michael Mann @BRISTOL #, UK
* The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars - the Battle Continues (Cabot Institute Lecture: )
FREE 18:00 to 19:00 The Victoria Rooms, Queen's Rd, Bristol
"Dr Michael E Mann discusses the science, politics, and ethical dimensions of global warming. A central figure in the controversy over human-caused climate change has been “The Hockey Stick,” a simple, easy-to-understand graph Mann and his colleagues have constructed to depict changes in Earth’s temperature back to 1000 AD. He tells the story behind the Hockey Stick, using it as a vehicle for exploring broader issues regarding the role of scepticism in science, the uneasy relationship between science and politics, and the dangers that arise when special economic interests and those who do their bidding attempt to skew the discourse over policy-relevant areas of science."
"Thanks to the support of the Cabot Institute at the University of Bristol, this event is free but pre-booking is highly recommended. To reserve a place, click HERE.
# (Bristol is Green-Loony Central)

"Dr. Michael E Mann is Distinguished Professor of Meteorology at Penn State University, with joint appointments in the Department of Geosciences and the Earth and Environmental Systems Institute. He is also director of the Penn State Earth System Science Center. He s author of more than 160 peer-reviewed and edited publications, and has published books include Dire Predictions: Understanding Global Warming in 2008 and The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: Dispatches from the Front Lines in 2012. He is also a co-founder and avid contributor to the award-winning science website RealClimate.org. "
Be funny if he fails to filibuster the libel suit he brought against Steyn and a losing judgement comes in before this lecture.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Love the 'carob-intense' energy!

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM | Registered CommenterRuth Dixon

That's what I meant Ruth, if their grasp of English on their own websites is so bad, then probably their grasp of science is even worse.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

JREF maintaina list of skeptic events but I found nothing interesting/new unless you are in NZ

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

This seemed the best thread to say that I have booked my tickets for the Cook/Mann talk and the Mann talk at Bristol on 19th and 23rd Sept, and it looks as though Anthony Watts is also coming for it. We definitely need to organize a pre-meeting/follow-up get together (and I hope I'll be a bit luckier in meeting people than for the Lew talk in June!). Any thoughts anyone? I live very near the Victoria Rooms, so it's very handy for me. However I'm off to Australia on Monday till 27th Aug.

Any interest from BHers for these events?

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterCaroline K

And have just read on Anthony's post in the comments that Lucia Liljegren is coming to it. Should be a very interesting time.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterCaroline K

I've also got my tickets for the Bristol talks.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterSJF