Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > It's not too late

So say Greenpeace in the first BBC report I've seen on WG3, from Roger Harrabin. The structure of the article is interesting: first there are the findings of WG3 (in draft), then for balance Roger brings in two opposing points of view, from Greenpeace and Bob Ward. In case we didn't notice they were opposing, there's the use of 'but':

But Bob Ward, from the LSE's Grantham Institute, said it was crucial to reach safe levels by 2100.

"We are in a much worse situation politically than we were seven years ago," he said.

"The current lack of action means that we may have to consider overshoot scenarios, which would be better than abandoning our temperature target threshold of 2 degrees. Some people think there's a degree of political dishonesty in allowing governments to claim they will keep to their targets in the short term."

So that's 86 years of 'climate control' to look forward to, as Andrew calls it as he announces the latest GWPF report on propaganda in schools. But how is it always almost too late, from 1988 onwards, but never actually too late - so that we simply have to get on with the job of adapting to whatever comes? Anyway, the WG3 battle begins, with the BBC again rewriting the rulebook on false balance.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Here's what Greenpeace is quoted as saying by Harrabin:

A Greenpeace spokesman said: "This new report captures the choices we face. It's not too late; we can still avoid the worst impacts of global warming but only if the clean energy technologies that can slash carbon pollution are given the green light.

"The more we wait, the more it will cost. The sooner we act, the cheaper it will be."

There's an imprecision here which I think can be teased out by the following questions:

By too late do you mean that at some point the cost-benefit equation changes from an urgent need to cut CO2 emissions, using clean energy technologies and perhaps other things, to adaptation only? Or does too late mean that the human race is certain to be wiped out? And mightn't the second imply the first, if you think carefully about it?

What does it mean to be too late? Without knowing that, the frequent assertion that it's not too late, but very nearly is, is of course meaningless. No mention of China's emissions or anything as practical as that from Harrabin, WG3, Greenpeace or Ward of course. But it may be worthwhile sticking here to the not-so-trivial point of what exactly it would mean to be too late.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

"But how is it always almost too late ... but never actually too late?"

Not quite true, Richard. See this:

“If there’s no action before 2012, that’s too late,” said Rajendra Pachauri [in 2007], a scientist and economist who heads the IPCC. “What we do in the next two to three years will determine our future. This is the defining moment.”
And this:
[Gordon] Brown said: "If we do not reach a deal at this time [Copenhagen 2009], let us be in no doubt: once the damage from unchecked emissions growth is done, no retrospective global agreement in some future period can undo that choice. By then it will be irretrievably too late. So we should never allow ourselves to lose sight of the catastrophe we face if present warming trends continue."
And this:
Quamrul Chowdhury, principal negotiator for Bangladesh, emphasised that his country and its allies were looking for nothing less than "a legally-binding, ambitious, fair and balanced" agreement. "At Bali, we had the mandate to complete our task at Copenhagen. Unfortunately, we couldn't deliver at Copenhagen; and if we can't deliver at Cancun [2010] ... it will be unfortunate, it will be tragic, it will be a holocaust." (Sounds like too late to me.)

Apr 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Ah, but you're cheating Robin, looking back in time like that :) In all those cases some point in the future was going to be too late. When have we heard Rajendra Pachauri, Gordon Brown, Quamrul Chowdhury, or anyone like them, say "It is now too late." And what would that mean?

Superb examples, though. So does "too late" mean "a holocaust" of over 6 million unnecessary deaths due to the negative impacts of global warming, having subtracted the good effects of the same warming and CO2 fertilisation?

Sorry to sound heartless but what does too late mean?

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

It used to be called "crying wolf"
..now it's called "crying polar bear !"

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

By the way you can take predictions seriously but not 100%, when people have a good record for making accurate predictions.

..and the record of Greenpreachers and the alarmists is ... ?

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Stew, now you mention it the metric may be polar bears. Of course. It's too late if that one poor polar bear we've seen snapped on the ice floe slips off, has forgotten how to swim and perishes.

What I'm partly wondering I guess is whether, hidden within CAGW dogma, there's some kind of intermediate state, between point A when it's too late and point B when the unknown definition (eg all the polar bears have died) actually comes to pass. Logically there's no point trying to avert B once we've gone past A so we might as well adapt as best we can. (Which is where I think almost all sceptics are right now. We have no point A - or it's already passed.)

But for all that we need to know (sorry to be boring) what too late means. What becomes inevitable at point A? The extinction of humanity? Less than .1% of us are going to die needlessly? (That's really bad but isn't the same as the first.)

I believe that the release of IPCC WG3 in April 2014 is the time for clarity. What does too late actually mean?

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

"But how is it always almost too late, from 1988 onwards, but never actually too late"

Because this keeps a constant sense of urgency in the overall narrative, which in turn is a powerful motivator, partially or wholly bypassing logic and touching emotion in a majority of the audience.

"Sorry to sound heartless but what does too late mean?"

As you say earlier, this question is a fundamental one. But I wasn't sure whether you were asking it in a rhetorical sense, as you seem already to be on the trail of the fact that it doesn't have a logical resolution in most of the examples where 'too late' is deployed within CAGW. I suspect that if you pressed the individuals or organisations making the statements to such an answer (in an environment where they are constrained to actually reply civilly rather than just yelling 'denier' at you), then they wouldn't rightly know themselves, and you'd likely get lots of different and arm-wavy vague replies. So I figure the answer to the question is: it means anything to anyone. This is how the best scare narratives work, because anyone's personal interpretation of what 'too late' means, geared to their own level of understanding, is emphatically (albeit fuzzily in a logical sense) supplied by their underlying emotion.

Likely we disagree about how the 'too late' messages got into the narrative. But if you are indeed steering towards the presumption that there *isn't* a consistent or logical answer to what 'too late' could mean in many of the examples, and neither any surface sense at all in a 'permanently nearly too late' syndrome, then on these I certainly agree. And that's also why I believe your question is a fundamental one; it exposes the fact that there isn't a meaningful 'too late', that the sense of urgency is therefore false.

So hidden in CAGW dogma is not subtle tipping point between too late and not too late, but the fact that 'too late' is merely a device for attempting to weaken people's reason and let loose their emotive anxieties. From which it also becomes clear that the vaguer the date and the details are, the better it will be for the narrative. In this sense at least whenever a specific 'too late' date is given (usually the next conference), then this iteratively weakens the power of the device. People with no knowledge of the debate, still have memories.

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM | Unregistered CommenterAndy West

Andy: Thanks, great comment. It was rhetorical, with the first sightings of WG3 emerging from a boneless BBC. We need people like Andrew Neil to ask about this. And who knows, we may each get a chance, in our small corners.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM | Richard Drake

I have great respect for Andrew Neil and hope he will ask some more of the hard questions, of which your question posed here is indeed high on the list.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM | Unregistered CommenterAndy West
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:48 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Do you know what Andy I'd have said that if I could have. Perfect summation.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM | geronimo

Thanks Geronimo :) But in fact I can't claim a particularly deep perception. In truth it's a pretty standard device that turns up in differing forms within cultural entities. There's a range of other devices that also get reused again and again, indeed CAGW incorporates some of these too. If we call Richard's one "it's too late", then some others are "we are special", "our times are special", and so on. And my favourite one: "the past is always better". These devices all work in a similar manner to the one above, engaging emotive drives and swamping reason. If you have a clear enough head to stay objective, none of them make any more sense under analysis than the "it's too late" that Richard 'outs' here. Some of them have fascinating histories.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:00 AM | Unregistered CommenterAndy West

When I was studying philosophy about a century ago (I've already said that, but on a different thread, and we wrinklies are allowed a bit of leaway, [(see Nestor in the Odyssey, inter alia]) the lecturers used to irritate our neurones with puzzles like the “Paradox of the Surprise Exam”:
A teacher says: I'm going to give you an exam one day this week, but I won't tell you which day, so it will be a surprise.” And some bright spark says: “Sir, you can't do that Sir. Because suppose you choose Friday, then come Thursday evening we'll know, so it won't be a surprise. So Friday's out. And by the same logic it can't be Thursday Wednesday Tuesday or Monday either.”
A continental philosopher would turn it into a reflection on mortality (in fact Wittgenstein did, with his “Death is not an event in life..”) which brings us back to the discussion of CAGW as a religion, or religious substitute.
I've got a thing about ideas reaching a critical mass, e.g. the idea of environmentalism (“the planet is fragile”, “we're destroying our environment” - whatever); the idea that the 30% of a generation who have been to university (up from 5% not long ago) may search for and find an ideology which establishes their intellectual superiority over both their elders and their intellectual inferiors …
The rise of atheism is another such subject. When atheists were a tiny proportion of he population, they posed no problem. Even at the present level, they present no evident problem, since, apart from the odd Dawkins, they don't proselytise. But their ideas are there, unconsciously, ready to express themselves , one way or another.
“Only a hundred months”, “think of the grandchildren..” I hear the echoes of that wonderful music I remember from a disc called “White Spirituals” or that can be found in the music of the late Doc Watson and his family, or in the film of the Coen Brothers “Oh Brother ..”
It's the reflection of the protestant reformation. It's a big “we don't believe you” addressed to the powers that be. It's a revolution, in other words.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM | geoffchambers

I agree that the 'critical mass' of a narrative, as you put it, is indeed very important regarding dominant cultural ideas, and therefore so are the underlying mechanisms by which that critical mass is achieved, and these long long pre-date the modern university system.

I figure that 'militant atheism' as it is called, is a bigger problem than Dawkins and Dennet. I also find it supremely ironic that not only is Dawkins a very firm believer in CAGW, the echoes you hear plus the ones I reference above all leverage those same underlying mechanisms per the previous paragraph, to which we have been conditioned by a hundred millenia and more of spiritual belief. In essence, both militant atheism and CAGW derive their power from the same psychological levers as religions. Little surprise then that they look like religions, though indeed militant atheism has not yet achieved a critical mass and may never do so. CAGW has.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM | Unregistered CommenterAndy West

It used to be called "crying wolf" ...now it's called "crying polar bear !" stewgreen
Ha! Spot on.

Andy West. Yes, "too late" means whatever they user wants it to mean. However like the threat "or else", there has to be evidence of the danger or eventually the subject realises the threat is an empty one.

Geoff. Yes, there is a very quiet but very powerful revolution going on. Bit like an advancing glacier, moving very slowly but inexorably forward. People like Russell Brand call for a revolution but hardly anyone answers their rallying cries, simply because the public have already joined a side. I’ve mentioned it before, but a while back there was a BBC documentary wistfully asking why there hadn’t been a huge swing to the extreme left and a rejection of capitalism, given the trauma of the banking crash. I’m not sure that the programme truly answered the question but it did conclude it wasn’t going to happen.

Dawkins and his militant atheists are not a growing force either. They’re just another form of religion. Who wants to put that level of energy into not believing in god? It only gains any traction at all as a reaction against creationism being taught as a science and political correctness ramming non Christian religions down people’s throats.

The difficult fact for warmists and neo or traditional religious types is the public are relatively comfy and despite the moaning, know it. Going to church, cutting CO2, following any prescriptive dogma is hard work. Only the lure of salvation makes those things worthwhile and when faith is gone…

They need to rethink how they recruit the public to this new religion and stop using the same techniques used to flog dodgy goods.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM | Andy West
"...the echoes you hear plus the ones I reference above all leverage..."

Um, I might have misunderstood your 'echoes' Geoff. I refer to: “Only a hundred months” ("it's almost too late"), “think of (save) the grandchildren..”, plus "our times are special", "we are special", "the past is always better", and more, some of which are even in conflict within particular entities like CAGW.

As to whether there's enough folks saying "we don't believe you", and what system they would employ instead that hopefully avoids religious or psuedo religious belief, then I for one have little knowledge.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterAndy West

Why the alarmists are wrong ...is cos they don't have the science.
That's why they resort to language tricks and dirty PR.

In proper science you use words precisely defined, so if they had the science they'd just state it properly, there would be no neef for slippery words.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen