Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > UK Events/Talks : Climate Change etc. October 2013

Since I wrote up the last list of events : some other festival schedules have come in. (Manchester Science, Radio3 Freethinking, Norwich Fringe, Cambridge Ideas) I have just spent some time wading through lists of more than 500 events. And here I will post the ones with Climate Issues
* See also the first list where I listed October talks at the Ilkley Literature Festival .. and the Battle of Ideas 2013 19 & 20 October London
also listed on MY WEBSITE at 696a and 697b

- I think if skeptics go to these type of meeting then their placed questions can be a complete game changer. However I find myself unable to bare all the untruthful eco-propaganda I have to sit through.
- I would encourage people to take a paper to write short pithy questions ..all too often peoples questions end up being ineffective boring monologues

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Manchester Science Festival : Free. Thursday, 24 Oct to Sunday, 3 Nov
Some Greenie propaganda eco-farm
Enjoy a guided walk around the Biospheric Project, Salford's new urban farm and agricultural laboratory, and discover how cities can develop sustainable food systems for the future.
Sat 26 Oct 2013 10am - 11am
Sat 26 Oct 2013 1pm - 2pm
Sat 2 Nov 2013 10am - 11am
Sat 2 Nov 2013 1pm - 2pm

Daily Tours : Fiddler's Ferry Power Station Mon 28 Oct - Fri 1st Nov
Widnes Road , Warrington, WA5 2UT
Fiddlers Ferry Power Station is opening its doors for pre-booked visits, exclusively for the Manchester Science Festival. Enjoy a short presentation in our Education Centre before whizzing off in a site vehicle for a tour of the plant with one of our expert educational officers on hand to answer all of your questions.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Cambridge Festival of Ideas Wed 23 October - Sun 3 November

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 Uncomfortable conversations... why discussing the big issues is so hard
From religion to climate change big issues provoke strong feelings and can involve very personal judgements. Speakers from the Global Sustainability Institute lead an interactive discussion on why we sometimes avoid the big issues.
15+, Free, Full access, Talk, Arrive on time, Booking not required

Monday 28 October: 7:00pm - 9:00pm Exploring lifestyle boundaries and low-carbon living
We all want to do something about climate change in light of the idea that it poses a real threat to humanity. But what can we personally do?
This workshop, delivered by Cambridge Carbon Footprint, looks at the 2013 levels of consumption, energy use, global travel and food sourcing and asks: are the solutions within our reach?
15+, Free, Full access, Workshop, Arrive on time, Pre-book

Tuesday 29 October: 7:00pm - 9:00pm Electric Cars? They're rubbish aren't they?!
Adults, £3, Pre-book
The Maypole Pub, 20 Portugal Place, Cambridge

Electric cars? They're rubbish aren't they?! Nothing but glorified golf carts that take forever to charge and then run out of power on the way to the shops. Aren't they? - Robert Llewellyn says no. This evening, he'll tell us why he thinks we need to think seriously about electric vehicles as the future of transport.
The Comedian continues his eco-propaganda tour

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival 2013 25th – 27th October 2013 @ The Sage in Gateshead

- Program out , but there is nothing about environment. only 1 with vague connection with Climate
Sunday 27th October, 2013. 3.45pm - 4.45pm. Controlling the Countryside
- Do our decision makers understand the countryside? When people talk about preserving the countryside – what are they preserving?
Simon Thurley is the Chief Executive of English Heritage

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

extra Manchester Science Festival events
WHAT CAN ART BRING TO OUR UNDERSTANDING OF CLIMATE CHANGE? Wed 30 Oct 2013 6.30pm - 8.30pm Manchester Museum Oxford Road Free. No need to book.
Science after dark An evening of performances from artists who are working with Manchester University Tyndall Centre scientists to explore new ideas around climate change. From flooding to biodiversity and consumerism join Ellie Harrison, Adam Chodzko and the Owl Project with Curator and Director of Invisible Dust and Honorary Researcher Manchester Museum, Alice Sharp, in the atmospheric Living Worlds gallery.

FUSION : CAFE SCIENTIFIQUE Wed 30 Oct 2013 6pm KRO Bar, Oxford Road 325 Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PG Free. No need to book.
Science after dark Could controlled nuclear fusion be the solution to our future energy needs? Fusion - which involves combining small atomic nuclei into larger ones - provides the energy for stars, but there are significant challenges to be overcome before a viable fusion power station can be built on Earth. The most promising way to confine the very hot gas - known as a plasma - at the extremely high temperatures required for viable fusion power is to use strong magnetic fields. Share your views on this hot topic with Café Scientifiqe, an open forum where anyone can explore the latest in science and technology for the price of a cup of tea. Professor Phillippa Browning opens the debate with an overview of current progress towards fusion power and her own research on magnetically-confined fusion plasmas, before opening up the discussion to everyone.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:49 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

"WHAT CAN ART BRING TO OUR UNDERSTANDING OF CLIMATE CHANGE?" Mostly pointless deception. Because the arts can unduly influence the public in some areas, there is an assumption that the phenomena works across the board. So while droves of slavish youngsters will happily dress up like their favourite pop group and fritter money away on branded tat, they're not about to do without their creature comforts. Epic poems and artworks may have spawned a deeper understanding of the horrors of warfare but it's doubtful much bloodshed has been avoided because of them. So artists will paint hopelessly exagerated pictures of flooding or drought, ernest musicians will pour out their fears about climate change and the public will nod in sympathy before getting into their 4x4 and going off to by the latest electrical item and clothes that will be obsolete before the paint is dry on the canvass.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:33 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

LEEDS 10th October, IPCC AR5 Talk with Professor Piers Forster
Thursday 7:00 PM (tea and coffee from 6pm) expected high level of interest
Leeds University - Conference auditorium 1 (GM.03)
- Part of Autumn season of talks for the Royal Meteorological Society Yorkshire Centre
It's Paul Hudson's territory so maybe they will be open minded

Scientific findings of the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report : He will provide an update on the science behind the latest Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). As a lead author of the IPCC, Professor Forster has first hand knowledge of the most recent findings and we are privileged to offer the opportunity of direct contact with one of the scientists without the usual filters of the media.
The Conference Auditorium is behind “The Edge” Sports Centre, close to the University South Entrance at Calverley Street. See enclosed map and directions (pdf).

All Welcome!

Details of this talk, forthcoming talks and the latest news from the Yorkshire Centre of the Royal Meteorological Society:-
Webpage: http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/research/rmetsoc/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RMetSocYorkshireLocalCentre
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/rmets_yorkshire

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen