Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Oxford pub meet, again.

That time has come around. We have had suggestions of 2nd week in July. As it isn't term time, we might be able to honour Latimer's request to return to the King's Arms, from whose website I take this gem:

"the brainiest pub in Oxford too, known for having the highest IQ per square foot of anywhere in the world! "

Not while I'm there it ain't.

So, midweek, Kings Arms, second week in July. Hoping that doesn't preclude JJ or Ruth from both being able to attend.

Any objections or alternative suggestions?

Everybody is welcome of course. If the Met Office wants to send up a charabanc from Exeter I think we'd love to see Richard or Tamsin. Or anybody else who fancies a day out in Oxford followed by a congenial evening in the pub.

THe KA menu makes no mention of mushy peas.

http://kingsarmsoxford.co.uk/menus.php

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Bumping this to bring it up on the header page.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

I'd love to join you - but cannot make Wednesday or Thursday (10th & 11th). If you were interested in a pre-pub private room, I might be able to arrange something at my college, St Johns - very close to the Kings Arms.

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Tuesday then, if it works for everyone?

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterRhoda

Sorry, Rhoda, but Tuesday would be difficult for me. I'd wish to stay in Oxford overnight and have to be home (Hertfordshire) quite early on Wednesday. Monday or Friday?

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Jonathan and I can make any night that week, 8-12 July.

Looks like we won't clash with the Oxford Green Drinks on the 15th :-) http://www.greendrinks.org/Oxfordshire/Oxford

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM | Registered CommenterRuth Dixon

Anytime 8-12/7 is good for me.

If any out-of-towners (like me) would like a quick tour of the City beforehand, I'd be very happy to rerun my well-received informal walking tour of some of the sights, designed to give a flavour of the place.

No charge and a very flexible agenda. Within reason anything is possible.

Possibilities..scenic views, Morse and Lewis, inside a 'typical' Oxford College, pubs, shops, ambience, more history than you can shake a stick at, Einstein's blackboard (not Mondays), Evolution debates...you name it we can do it.....

Let me know.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM | Registered CommenterLatimer Alder

If we say monday 8th we will have at least a quorum, with the benefit of new guy Robin. Ben and Barry, you out there? the two Ms? What about Richard Drake, who attended only the first meeting? I assume we are all OK with the King's Arms, shall we say 6:30?

Again, always seeking new blood. Warmists welcome. Perhaps Myles..?

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM | Unregistered Commenterrhoda

I've noted the date but don't know at the moment. Thanks for the heads-up.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

The date is good for me.
I have not been to one before so it will be good to meet everyone.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM | Registered Commentermikeh

Dear Rhoda
Apologies, can't make it this time. Will be in South Uist communing with the wind, the sand, and the Oyster Catchers!
Very keen to attend another Kings Arms congress. Could someone attempt to write up short notes of your meeting. I'm with you all, including Geoff Chambers; we need to get more organised. And a pub is the perfect place to start.
Best wishes
Mark

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Piney

That burger and pint look pretty tempting.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM | Registered Commentersteve ta

The KA was always my favourite pub. Tempting, but getting back to Chipping Campden after a few too many would be problematic. And I do like a few too many.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterJames Evans

Hi rhoda

Thanks very much for the invitation. I'd love to join you on one of these occasions, but I'm afraid I can't this time. As it happens I had a very enjoyable lunch with Jonathan and Ruth at Brasenose on Monday - it was a shame we couldn't get these events to coincide, but no doubt there will be other opportunities.

Cheers

Richard

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Betts

From another thread:

rhoda

I spent many an hour in the Science Museum before it was a political entity, staring at the cutaway Napier Sabre or Siemens-Halske 11-cylinder while I should have been next door studying in another institution which has lost its way.

If I come, may I sit next to you? We would have all sorts of interesting things to chat about. What do you think about the Napier Deltic?

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

The museum had a Jumo 205, which I understand inspired the rather more complex Deltic. Like the Sabre, why limit yourself to one crankshaft?

Hector, if you make it from Japan you can sit where you like!

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:30 AM | Registered Commenterrhoda

@james evans

Train to Moreton, (21:21 or 22:53) then taxi? Plenty of opportunity for enjoyment.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM | Registered CommenterLatimer Alder

Hector P; not if I get there first! Although I would stick with the aero engine theme.

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM | Registered Commentermikeh

Rhoda I take it you were part of the City and Guilds fraternity? I'm an RSM man myself.

Anyway I'd like to meet up with everyone in Oxford so if I can fit it in I will do.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

I'm thinking about the logistics. How far back to Oxford railway station via taxi? What time start? If I have to get a train at 22:11 to progress further west (as seems likely) would it be worth it?

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I realise I can answer all those questions, as I was at the Kings Arms the first time. Thought it was going to be more complicated. Good call. Except, what is proposed start time?

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Start time 1830, no need to be punctual but somebody needs to stake out a table. Usually breaks up at 2130 or so. Some kind of recognition signal will be required, I suppose.

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterRhoda

Might be able to make that.

"Some kind of recognition signal will be required, I suppose."

Presume all this talk of trains is just a smoke screen, I'm guessing a substantial SUV and a Stetson hat is de rigueur?

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM | Unregistered Commenternot banned yet

Can't make this one, but Mrs. Geronimo has just told me she wants to visit Oxford, so I'll be available for the next one should I be in the country.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

richard drake

A fine and regular bus service from the High Street (5 mins walk from KA) will take you to the station in 10 mins. Or you could walk it in 20.

If arriving at Oxford station, take a Number 5 to 'Queens Lane' - (stop right outside the entrance) and ask for a day return. Then walk up Queens Lane..which turns into New College Lane. Avoid the spirits of Lewis and Morse who roam abroad so often there, and after 5 mins you will pass under the Bridge of Sighs (Oxford pastiche thereof) and the KA will be on your right by the lights.

Return is just the same in reverse.

Simples!

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM | Unregistered CommenterLatimer Alder