Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > BitBucket departs for pastures green(er)?

I'm posting this here to avoid further disruption of another thread by BH commenter BitBucket and the responses to his comments.

On another thread (Gasland), I posed a question:

BB - I think that, some time ago, you said you'd bugger off for good if a certain number of BH posters requested it. Please remind me what the number was, I can't remember it. Is the offer still valid?
May 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

The reply was

MartinA, yes it was a never-ending offer. Ten polite requests to leave, each with an explanation of why and I'll disappear into the night. I don't remember getting more than three before and one was rude - and rudeness resets the count to zero.

Or the boss can just ask me to go himself. It's his blog.

I only reliably watch the Discussions, so chose a thread I'll see (like this one).
May 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterBitBucket

I did not find this reply completely satisfactory. There seems to be an element of game playing (aka "jerking people around") - requiring people to jump through hoops rather than simply state that they'd like him to leave.

And with a 'get out of jail' card always available to the poster. If BB's definition of "rudeness" is as flexible as Rob Wilson's definition of "insulting", then any posting whatever could be counted as "resetting the count to zero". So, no matter how many BH commenters politely request him to leave (giving a reason) there is no absolute guarantee that BH would actually become a BB-free zone.

Nonetheless, it is an offer that deserves consideration, in view of thread sidetracking and low-value comments that would be avoided in the event of BB's departure.

It's a bit like a Royal Society election except that, in this case, votes asking BB to leave count. Commenters desiring BB not to depart do not get a vote. However, according to the BB rules, they can veto the whole process by the simple device of posting a rude request to BB.

Here are the replies to date:

---BitBucket
I would like you to go because your MO is simply to recycle the same rhetoric.

Put that one on the scoresheet, please.
May 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM | Unregistered CommenterGixxerboy

---Why should I politely ask you to leave? You can leave as it is.
May 8, 2013 at 4:30 AM | Registered Commentershub

---I have not idea why anyone engages with little bucker. He is amazingly ignorant, I cannot remember a troll with so little knowledge across such a wide number of everyday topics. I am asking him to leave, because he's a content free nuisance, who doesn't come near to challenging any of the ideas put forward on this, or any other thread.
May 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

---
May 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM | geronimo
I second the motion.

Were he to leave gracefully, 'twould be a far, far better thing that he does, than he has ever done before.
May 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

---As a long time apologist for you BB, I have to say your recent petulant outbursts do not become you. I would prefer you to leave off too, if truth be told. If that means leaving, then that is what you should do.
May 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

May 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

MartinA, it never occurred to me that anyone might want openly to vote for me to stay, but it would make the process more interesting. And since politeness seems too much to ask from some contributors (I'd consider Geronimo's answer rude, Shrub's borderline and Hilary's mercifully brief yet beautiful), let's ditch that requirement. Why not make it a straight vote, in or out, no rudeness too foul and no fawning too obsequious to count. You can be thumpire and hold the casting vote. End of voting, midday Sunday; you decide whether a simple majority is enough to eject or whether a margin is needed.

May 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterBitBucket

So let me start (for the second time).

BB I would like you to no longer participate on BH. Your disruption of threads, by deliberate intent, detracts from sensible discussion.

May 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterDavid Porter

BB - I think it is not a good principle to change the rules once the match/election/trial (or whatever analogy fits) is well under way.

May 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

MartinA, as you like.

Anyone who feels inclined can find me for the time being at bitbucket_4369810 at nym dot hush dot com

May 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM | Unregistered CommenterBitBucket

Seconded - BB I would like you to no longer participate on BH. Your disruption of threads, by deliberate intent, detracts from sensible discussion.

May 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM | Unregistered CommenterDave_G

+1

May 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM | Registered Commentermatthu

Bitbucket I would like you to leave you constantly hi-jack threads and change the subjects of the threads.

May 9, 2013 at 6:40 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

On the Gaslands thread, Hilary Ostrov commented:

For the record, and for the benefit of those who might be inclined to respond to his comment at 7:47 PM above, it appears that at 8:37 PM, BB accepted the invitation to depart.

His acceptance [of May 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM] includes a "forwarding" address for those who are interested in engaging further.

Of course he does not offer any guarantee that he might not opt to return in another nymcarnation; however, I'm sure we can cross that particular bridge if - or when - we come to it!
May 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

If it's correct that BitBucket has gone for good, then I imagine that the great majority of BH posters would wish him well for the future, notwithstanding any irritations expressed in the past.

With a slight tinge of regret, I add my voice to those asking him to depart, on the grounds that, in recent months, the quality of his postings (never really in the "stellar" class) had shown a strong downtick, while simultaneously there had been a strong uptick in posting frequency, the net result being that his overall contribution to discussions on BH had become distinctly negative.

May 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Long time reader, part time commenter. BH has one of the high quality informative comments sections on the web, I may not be able to add to discussion (Except Joshs excellent art work) but learn so much at this site, so.

'BB I would like you to no longer participate on BH. Your disruption of threads, by deliberate intent, detracts from sensible discussion.'

May 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterShevva

BitBucket I would like you to leave too. My impression of your posts here is that they are an attempt to regain some lost self-respect, or attention, by attacking others, and by telling us about your supposed sense of humour or knowledge of CSS. I think you'd be better off lying on your bed reflecting.

May 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterSJF

Wow! To the some who actually lined up to say "go away"

I recommend they should read the excellent Gleick – the James one ;) Read his. The Information.

Here is an example I made up.

“I know you know that I know that you know that I know.”

How much information is in there?

How annoying was it?

BTW I assert that wasn’t paradoxical. I.e. clever ;)

Here’s some information.

I am saying “Never, never, never ask for someone to go away. Talk to them.”

and

This thread has/is information.

It just is - stop your internal dialogue ;)

It is information that will be interpreted.

It is easy to control that interpretation.

Obviously I will bow down to someone who can tell me my perception of information is shit and terrabytes are available somewhere just out of view.

And so on.

Discuss [snip]

May 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM | Registered CommenterThe Leopard In The Basement

BTW that's a no - yes I am changing the rules ;)

May 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM | Registered CommenterThe Leopard In The Basement

Leopard
As someone who specifically used the words 'go away', I can tell you, that it was uttered first in the context of the thread Bitbucket had busied himself disrupting.

But, on reflection, Bit only wants to disrupt threads and insult. I can say with a fair degree of confidence, having followed this pattern over a length of time now. His comments on Unthreaded were the last straw(s). When he said 'johanna darling', I felt like ... well, let's not go there.

Of course, he can post and disrupt some more, or post without insult and interference (which would defeat his own purposes).

May 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM | Registered Commentershub

Leopard: I agree we should talk to people with different views, and lots of people have spent time talking to bucket. I have never seen a sensible comment from him, he doesn't challenge our ideas or discuss the science and policy sensibly, just bar room views. He simply disrupts threads on purpose, what is the point of continued debate with someone who actually knows absolutely nothing?

May 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

TLITB - did you take your pills?

If not, ring for the nurse. Quickly.

May 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM | Unregistered Commentermosquito

Yes Mosquito, there was a lot of extra information about my medication up there ;)

There is nothing special about BitBucket is the more succinct point I am making.

In this world, where the Bish is a rightful God, this discussion is making out that Bucket is something special when in fact he quite typical. I rather think he should be seen as a resident pet example ;)

I was snarkily ranting about what I thought was the more important meta point. The fact that what is overtly considered beyond the pale is a more informative display than anything else.

The side fact that BitBucket has invited this himself with his narcissistic “request” is information too. He has done the equivalent of asking “Does my bum look big in this blog” and got a lot of people to duly oblige with the required response.

As a secondary point I pretty much agree with most observations of behaviour of this typical example of the BitBucket class ( I wasn’t being specific Shub :) )

Showing my narcissistic tendencies now, but I congratulate myself for sometimes staying around to try and tease out sense from certain of the BB class of commenter – it is a wearisome attritional game that I can understand has little appeal - but I think can be informative in itself.

I think this thread could move into a better meta blog discussion– certainly better than I can neatly sum up right now. Almost certainly better than the *really* dull nym ones! :)

May 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM | Registered CommenterThe Leopard In The Basement

"hush dot com"

That explains the paranoia. I wonder if Zed uses it?

May 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM | Registered Commenterjamesp

For the record, the little bucker has evidently decided to embark on a mission of polluting my quiet little corner of the blogosphere with his off-topic diversionary sneers 'n smears (directed at the members of this congregation).

It seems that he has considerable difficulty understanding:

This commenter has developed a posting pattern that is known for its irrelevant diversions and inaccurate sweeping generalizations, both of which are evident in the above comment. If he is capable of discussing a matter with respect and/or any measure of intellectual honesty, I have yet to see any demonstration of this on his part.

Consequently, I don’t intend to waste my time responding to his comment(s) and I would hope that in my little corner of the blogosphere, other readers would choose to do likewise. DNFT, as they say. [emphasis now added -hro]

You'd think that any self-respecting person with a modicum of reading comprehension skills would pick up his marbles and run along ... to ... uh ... greener pastures. Or at the very least, start his own blog where he can rant 'n ramble to his little heart's content!

Not the little bucker, though!

So if anyone here has decided to engage with him via E-mail, perhaps you could do me a favour and pass along the message that recycling his off-topic diversion with foot-stomping petulant sneers 'n smears via significant escalation of word-count (from 43 to 92) just doesn't cut it with the moderator on my blog.

Thanks.

May 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov