Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Tara, ageism and a climate of kindness

A link that our little darlings are using, well Tara's friend Claire Morris is using on her climate facts page.
http://climatejam.wordpress.com/facts/

The CO2 hockey stick:-

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn

People might want to check out that Tara has got round to moderating her blog and put up all the pending comments by the looks of it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM | Registered CommenterThe Leopard In The Basement

I imagine Steve Bloom could have a sudden panic attack and take Tara's reply to his long 'explanation' to be a tongue-in-cheek one. 'could write a book about Lindzen' indeed!

You can see Bloom, whose profession has nothing to do with climate science, IIRC, attempting to criticize Lindzen for publishing in an obscure Chinese journal. Good thing he forgot to point out that the main author Choi is a woman, and a Korean one at that.

Bloom, furthermore, gives away that he has absolutely no conception of how science is done. He believes, it appears, that Lindzen ought to have given up the idea of the iris effect because it was 'disproven' 20 years ago. I would like to see Bloom claim that the whole IPCC game is dis-proven in the face of 20 years of mismatch between theory and data.

When one single discrepancy between observations and theory is shown to exist, your opponent's theory immediately collapses. Even when hundreds of such instances are shown repeatedly to not have been resolved, your favourite still limps along.

'Oh no, I'm ok. I'll just keep dragging the corpose of the dead theory on my back, until the next bout of warming breathes some life into it'

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM | Registered Commentershub

Tweet by Tara Clarke about the comments on her blog

@Zakerius @ultimatehurl @Privlko oh boy oh boy, i think I need a bigger spoon for this bucket of shit hah

I'm out of this. Sorry for adding my two cents into the 'bucket of shit'

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM | Registered Commentershub

Shub, what about this tweet. which you obviously also saw:

in hindsight, if I'd expected this backlash would of worked a lot harder on my argument, well deserved slap

You ask a very good question at the end of that tweet stream. But even this level of self-criticism I find encouraging. In hindsight. Oh yes.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Thanks for the many insightful and witty comments while I was away. It was a long walk :) I will perhaps pick up some that made me think the most later. For now, I think the engagement with Tara herself on Twitter and her blog should be the focus. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Martyn

I see NASA are peddling the Church paper on sea-level rise to support their claim that the rate of increase has doubled in the last decade. Now, I'm sure Church et al were peer reviewed, but even if I employ schoolboy mathematics I'd have to comment that their selection of a period for their measurement of graph slope was just a tad risable! However, that measurement sure did increase their citation index!

Isn't it a pain the way reading some of these references can ruin a really good story, and we keep on doing it?

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterCapell

I'm about to get busy with other things but here's a roundup of just a bit of the good stuff that came out here and on Tara's blog, from my own very limited perspective.

Geoff Chambers:

It’s not enough to think about long term effects of climate change. We should also be thinking about what happens to a society when the best of the younger generation get syphoned off into campaigning for some completely illusory cause.

Couldn't have said it better or more poignantly than that. It doesn't have to be on this thread but this is something we must think through, with as many different perspectives as possible feeding in.

Over at Tara's hats off to Reed Coray for this:

Ms. Spark, your comment: “At the age of 73, Lindzen didn’t make an exceptional speaker…” caused me to reflect that “Being female, we should excuse any blogsmanship (or is that blogspersonship) failings of Ms. Spark.”

Others make the same point but that had real style. I was also highly taken with TinyCO2's longer appeal to the passionate young Irish activist. And of course with Barry Woods, great connector with all points of the climate spectrum. Taken together, despite some overly harsh words from a few, I was impressed and touched by how we (not me) tackled this new challenge. And Tara herself has shown real courage, however we might disagree with her current evaluation of where the truth lies. I can cope with the insults shared among friends, because I'm not among those friends. Without question one follower of Bob Ward has been given quite different things to think about than normal and that can only be good.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake